Road Crisis Up Ahead

Davie P

Whatever way you choose to look at it, VE is going to end up costing the Council a bigger/earlier roads bill than would otherwise happen.

As with many large project, roads and access will have to be part of the construction plan and will not have any impact on council budgets.

Nice bit of scaremongering.

Whatever way you choose to look at it, VE is going to end up costing the Council a bigger/earlier roads bill than would otherwise happen.

As with many large project, roads and access will have to be part of the construction plan and will not have any impact on council budgets.

Really?!?

You send x additional vehicles carrying y tonnes over a given stretch of road for z years, and you cannot avoid being forced to undertake remedial repair/rebuilding work appreciably sooner than would have otherwise been necessary had that additional traffic never existed.

Whether the final bill ends up being bigger is debatable, and to some degree dependent on the decisions taken by the road owners as events unfold, but you cannot get away from the fact that whatever expenditure is decided upon it will have happen in an earlier year than it would had the additional traffic never been there.

Maybe you'd consider having to factor in a significant expense, say in your '16/'17 budget instead of your '20/'21 budget, as having "no impact" it, but I sure as hell would consider it as having an impact on mine.

Edited by Ghostrider

Really?!?

Yup,

I know it will not be responsible for all the road repairs but the ones used to access the site, around the site and those that connect the various transfer points. If you honestly think that they will just trundle a 70 tonne crane up any road without making sure the road is suitable then you are as gullable as you think the contracters are.

Remedial works have to happen al the time, the council will look to get funding from other areas money for the rest of the infrastructure.

They'll still have to drive over coonty rodds to get to the VE sites.

They too will be looked at. I was involved in moving several large and very heavy transformers from through Preston, the roads were carefully assesed for suitability. We took down much of the street furniture and spent quite a bit of time organising. Though I do not think anything to do with VE will weigh as much, I agree that there will be other road use, now, if you think the council will turn a blind eye to this, then perhaps it should be highlighted. I doubt there will be total ignorance to the traffic over a short stretch of 300 miles or more of the A, B & C roads, the sections used would be monitored if, as is mentioned here the traffic is going to be so heavy.

http://www.ormskirk.gb.com/southport/news_photo/Heaviest_load_ever_to_move_on_UK_roads-50456534.htm

Really?!?

Yup,

I know it will not be responsible for all the road repairs but the ones used to access the site, around the site and those that connect the various transfer points. If you honestly think that they will just trundle a 70 tonne crane up any road without making sure the road is suitable then you are as gullable as you think the contracters are.

Where did I mention cranes, 70 tonne or otherwise? Stop inventing non-existent arguments to provide fake bolsters for your false stance, and avoid having to admit when you're wrong.

Whatever the traffic is, is irrelevant. The condition of the road at the time any single unit of traffic passes over it is only of minimal relevance. What does matter is that any given stretch of road only has a finite lifespan which is dictated by the total tonnage which passes over it and the total number of traffic units which passes over it.

In simple language, the more traffic units you send over it and the greater the total tonnage it has carried becomes, the sooner repairs/rebuilding is required. VE (if built as planned) will send a significantly large number of traffic units and total tonnage over numerous SIC roads, bringing forward the end of their useful lifespan markedly, and the need for the SIC budget for their share of the works costs at a much sooner date than would have otherwise been necessary were VE traffic not going to be.

Remedial works have to happen al the time, the council will look to get funding from other areas money for the rest of the infrastructure.

Where the money comes from was never part of my argument, only when the money will be required.

Incredible how some on here are unable to grasp the ramifications of running too heavy loads on top of roads built on peat. Back in the early seventies when the Magirus Deutz lorry's were transporting rock armouring for the ferry terminals anyone following close behind a lorry could see the tarred surface rolling and cracking like the waves of an ocean but there again maybe the characteristics of the " peat " content has changed these days ! 

I believe these vehicles will have paid road tax appropriate to the classification of the vehicle, which goes direct to the council.

Shetland have some of the best roads.

How many truck loads do you think VE will do?

It's not "road tax" - it's Vehicle Excise Duty - and it doesn't go to the council directly, it goes to the Treasury.   Roads are paid for by general and local taxes.  Road Tax was abolished in 1937 so why is it taking so long to realise that it no longer exists?  The tax we pay on our vehicles is based on emissions - it's more of a pollution tax.

Clever. The argument is that these things have to be taken into consideration. No one is saying that at the moment, the roads will sustain constant heavy use. So, if the contractor wants to use these roads then they will have to be reinforced. This argument on the roads have been debated on the 'VE thread. If, as is the warning in the original post, the roads are near the end of their life either, the council will have to repair the road if it is that bad, which it would have to do anyway. As this is part of the whole construction plan and assessments there would be a case for the road to be reinforced by the contractor where necessary.

As this is only, as mentioned a smaller part of the road network, it would mot be prohibitive. The rest of these roadways that will crumble on a set date would be the bulk of the required work. I would hazard a guess that they will not all disintegrate over night there will be time to get works completed before the road transport network collapses.

• 4 weeks later...