Boy Racers

lerwicklad

Anyway the big Porsche goes home tomorrow. It has been fantastic driving about your beautiful island with it.

Everyone seemed to like it and gave it a lot of respect.

So THANK YOU Shetland.!!

And Goodbye.

It was nice to see the Porsche even if it was only in passing, not been a 928 here for a few years!

I think most lads and aging lads have been there, done that (although personally not in Shetland).

Speaking as an aging "lad" nowdays, having had a couple of more than capable cars, one of which was a "performance" car (and damn me, it did!), I smile to myself now to see (cheap), incapable cars and modified with ridiculous spoilers etc which make not a jot of difference to their performance.... but as I said, been there, done that.  Live & let live, it's a sign of getting old criticising the 'bairns' ROFL.

Edited by Quarffie

To be honest i find it shockin the way people complain about boy racers... There are some exceptions but many of the cars up here are japanese and they have no noise limits, that aside i own a subaru imprezza turbo, it has a "big gay spoiler of british airways plane" but thats the way subaru made them! As for been lowered its a 250bhp performance 4wd.. Also came out the factory this way... Its just alot of narrow minded waffle! Id like to see how many people actually spend the money these guys do maintaining there cars....

Ive spent £1600 on changing parts on my imprezza which included parts that didnt need changed, but for me its not about how fast a car is its about how good condition its in, i know some guys that have spent 20k restoring and fixing there cars...

Just because 2-3 people have saxos with stupid exhausts doesnt give anyone the right to slag us all off! Glad to see some support as said many times we were all young once...

And if ud rather we could all stop spending thousands on cars and turn into drunks or druggies... As that seems to be the way of the youth!

Maybe if people stopped slaggin us all off and worried about the drug problem, schools shutting and christ knows what else the police mite do a better job! They spend half there time harrasing us... When druggies are running rife!

And its our cars collosul tax and massive income on fuel revenue that keep the goverment in money to repair the roads...

I spend on average £800-1000 a month on fuel in my car! And also run a van!!

well. would you rather we spent wir money on heroin?? become junkies and break into ur houses to fund wir habbits? my insurance knows about my mods and i pay the heavy price for it. 

cant have folk speeding around tesco, the odd toss pot brings the rest of us down

What a pointless post as ever! My father moans about the same issues you do Lerwicklad but at least he has the excuse of being 65 and has the commen sence to admit it was just as bad when he was young and the antics they got up to in cars! He always advised me to learn from his mistakes without repeating them and I made my own which I'll pass on to my son!

Young lads will be young lads! Now you can tar them with your judgmental brush and give them nothing to loose or you can view them as individuals with a specific hobby! Twitchers annoy me as they half pool off the road for a lesser spotted diving whatever! Cyclists, runners .... Dare I say it 'old 40mph drivers' all risk our safety and annoy me but there not 'my' roads there everyone's so live and let live!

Last time i looked all the drunk drivers in shetland werent boy racers either....

As for speedin i was over taken by a £60k bmw x5 that was probably doing 130+ mph.... Suppose hes allowed as he doesnt have a "pimped out" car...

Should ask the police when there speed gunning how many "boy racers" they catch compaired to normal motorists!! Ud be very shocked!

Yeah Cossie3k I was just about to say that. [***Mod edit - Content removed, please see T & C's***]

My car is mostly fibreglass. It has a big wing. It has exapensive wheels. It's loud. It's Japanese meaning it's mostly standard. It's also my pride and joy and costs me more than the average morgage each month to run. Being tar'ed with the "boy racer" brush is very upsetting. I'm a car inthusiast.

[***Mod edit - Content removed, please see T & C's***]

We all have our hobbies and interests.

Well said lad! Ive spent thousands on my impreza and thousands more on fuel! We run the best of tyres, brakes and all mannor of other parts! But i can gaurentee that our cars are better looked after than 90% of cars on the road! I check my tyres every few weeks! If i get ne probs its fixed straight away...

Some of the cars i see arent fit to be on the road!

I have a saxo vtr i pay my rd tax my insurence an i have 10 years no claims an like modifing my motors i stick to the speed limts around town an in country i go driving coz i ilke driving its like every thing else its a hobby i spend a lot on it to keep it on the rd an keep it save every one has there own tast from yoursaxo to your scobbys an high permence cars wat every one dreams of owning a sports car so if u can do one ilke a saxo or golf every one cant aford a super car unless your minted