lilackirsty

Why do cyclists complain about car drivers not taking care then drive practically invisibly????? I only just missed a cyclist today while driving into town in the fog because he had NO lights on, NO high visibility clothing and was driving in the middle of the road. Guess who would have been done had said cyclist been hit?!?! 

PLEASE make sure you can been seen cyclist coz I for one don't want and accident on my conscience!

I'd agree. I ended up cycling on the hard shoulder one day the mist came down a bit, as although I had a yellow vest and lights, I felt my batteries were down and the light was not as bright as it might be. Apparently I was worrying about nothing though, as half of the cars I met had no lights on at all.....

Why do drivers complain about cyclists riding without lights and then not use lights themselves?????

Edited by Carlos

There is an odd attitude of drivers towards cyclists, especially when it is a cyclists fault there was an accident as they do not pay road tax or wear a helmet.

The crux is though, the cyclist will always come off worse in most situations, regardless of blame, that should be kept in mind at all times. I often bring my cycle up to Shetland, drivers there are no worse than anywhere else.

It is my only form of transport here, so I have to use it in all weathers.

I am always amazed at the hate (jealousy) towards cyclists, even with full protection.

I think that cyclists should have insurance though, mine is quite cheap at £23 a year. That way, I contribute 5% tax for using the road.

OK, another try a clearing a very common misconception.

NOBODY PAYS ROAD TAX.

It was aboloshed in 1937..

Motorists pay Vehicle Excise Duty

Roads are paid for through general taxation.  Voluntarily paying 'extra' doesn't make sense.

Insurance is a good idea, though can't see how it will help much if you get 'splattered'

OK, another try a clearing a very common misconception.

NOBODY PAYS ROAD TAX.

It was aboloshed in 1937..

Motorists pay Vehicle Excise Duty

Roads are paid for through general taxation.  Voluntarily paying 'extra' doesn't make sense.

Yup, we know, alas, who really cares, that is the excuse used to justify an accident with a cyclist. What the insurance does is covers the rider in case of an accident, it also provides legal assistance after an accident.

Mind, I did not call it a road tax, I think you just may have made that up. After all, tax on insurance is a general tax.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/social-media/dont-tweet-about-hit-and-runs/

It is this sort of attitude that kills, and this one would have recently passed the multi part test.

There is an odd attitude of drivers towards cyclists, especially when it is a cyclists fault there was an accident as they do not pay road tax or wear a helmet.

Mind, I did not call it a road tax, I think you just may have made that up. After all, tax on insurance is a general tax.

Consider reading your own posts before commenting, otherwise you appear foolish.

I passed proberly the same guy coming in the north road at 1pm in the thickest mist we get, i was nearly apon him by the time i seen him. thank god i wansa going fast or he might of had it! Then i would have got it all on my sholders.  No lights and in dark clothes, propper cyclest clothes, so i would have thought that he would have been more aware of saftey on the roads etc.  Yes they are bad car drivers out there ( plenty of them going without lights in the mist too, or with tiney side lights on noone can see) but we have to reconised they are idiot cyclest too. Which let the side down on other cyclists arguments.

You are right, there are elements of both modes that flout basic common sense. Still, it is the cyclist that ends up with a broken hip or dead if it goes wrong. It could be something that can affect both parties.

It would be a nightmare to license cycles, it would be difficult to monitor.

Perhaps a law change, though, I do not know a cyclist who has faced a fine for their riding, instead of SHOULD it could be changed to MUST

Clothing. You should wear

• a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations, is the correct size and securely fastened
  • appropriate clothes for cycling. Avoid clothes which may get tangled in the chain, or in a wheel or may obscure your lights
  • light-coloured or fluorescent clothing which helps other road users to see you in daylight and poor light
  • reflective clothing and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands) in the dark.

The law on lighting is in need of noting. I have found it prudent to have my lights available at all times, they are bright enough to be seen at quite a distance in most weathers. Sadly, due to thefts light are not always left on cycles. Perhaps manufactures could build in lights. They have been forced by law to install other safety features such as amber reflectors on peddles.

Yes they are bad car drivers out there ( plenty of them going without lights in the mist too, or with tiney side lights on noone can see) but we have to reconised they are idiot cyclest too. Which let the side down on other cyclists arguments.

if somebody is on the road with no lights, when they should have lights, then they are at fault.

As per my response to the OP, I don't consider that it makes any difference what kind of vehicle they are using, or that it makes much sense to put an individuals behaviour onto everybody else that uses that kind of vehicle too.

As you say, there are poor "road users" of every description and I feel we'd be better off working on those, than trying to drag it into some drivers vs cyclists issue, when 95% of both are doing not so bad.

Peat meanwhile seem determined to bring in every possible meme, that ever appears in any "cycling" discussion, at the earliest opportunity, to ensure all waters are as muddied as possible and everybody stops reading before we get to anything interesting  :roll:  

Edited by Carlos

Already covered Colin, I was referring to the attitude of drivers towards cyclist as it is a cyclists fault because (see link on next post I made after the one you quoted from) that is, the cyclist is at fault because they do not pay road tax ..... as used by motorists to defend themselves during accidents. ahem

Alas, getting back....

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lunis/lunis-redefining-reflective-outerwear-for-urban-cy

May be folk who ride bikes do not want to wear the hi vis associated with building sites. Cost is another factor, a search for quality clothing will reveal the costs involved.

Lights are similar, I used to purchase the £5 a set lights, totaly useless, especially along the miles of unlit country lanes and tracks I have had cause to travel along.

Manufacturers could do more as I said, I remember the hub dynamo which could make a come back and with basic circuitry have a rechargable battery to maintain the lamp when stationary, and of course, built in. I may be wrong, but cycles are the only  vehicles designed for road use that do not have lights pre-fitted.

Carlos your right, this is not a car verses cycle issue, but an issue for all modes of transport.

Clearly all motor vehicles and cycles should clearly be seen with adequate and suitable lights on when conditions require. Lately I've passed many cars and a few cycles with little or no lights on in the mist. What worries me most about the cyclists is their vulnerability should they get hit.

The roads is for all modes of transport and we should all show respect for each other whether on bike, horse, foot, car or other motor vehicle. But please ensure you can be seen.

Mind you the only time I dislike cycles on the road is when they give me the fright of my life when they suddenly appear from behind me when I'm walking the dug on a windy day. :-)