lilackirsty

I ride a bike and always have my lights on. I never wear reflective clothing ....

Not even in fog?

No, never. In fog my lights will be noticed a long time before any reflective clothing.

Reflective clothing was something I managed without in the 60s, 70s and 80s. It's just another thing to sell people.

So, when it gushing down with rain and us miserable, allegedly half-blind car drivers can't see the likes of BigMouth even though our windscreen wipers are on full speed, not to mention the hailstones and/or fog; it's all our fault for not being able to see him on his pushbike because it's got a reflector, a back light (crumbs, not one of those mega annoying flashy on/off things too, I hope?), and we DON'T see him ... and all because a few reflective strips obviously wouldn't make any difference.at.all.  Me thinks someone hasn't been behind the wheel of a car perhaps in a while?

Reflective clothing makes a HUGE difference, especially in areas where there are no and/or few street lights.

If his lights are like mine, yes you will see him because as a responsible driver, you would be driving how conditions dictate. Hi Viz is a SHOULD and not a MUST, so, if the cyclist is complying with the law, what is the problem? Car drivers do not wear hi viz on similar days when they get out of their vehicles into the middle of the road, again, that would be a SHOULD.

it's all our fault for not being able to see him on his pushbike because it's got a reflector, a back light (crumbs, not one of those mega annoying flashy on/off things too, I hope?),

Those flashing lights mean you do see a cyclist long before you would see a reflective jacket or ordinary lights.

And talking of lights if some drivers realised just how invisible a dark coloured car can be against a dark road they would put their lights on and rush off to a cycle shop to get some flashing things as well.

Yellow / reflective clothing is something that I might chose to wear depending on the conditions.
What I would prefer to avoid is people getting a general idea that all they need to look out for is "yellow", and they can ignore any inconvenient bit in the highway code about needing to be able to see other things in the road ahead too.... 

If his lights are like mine, yes you will see him because as a responsible driver, you would be driving how conditions dictate. Hi Viz is a SHOULD and not a MUST, so, if the cyclist is complying with the law, what is the problem? Car drivers do not wear hi viz on similar days when they get out of their vehicles into the middle of the road, again, that would be a SHOULD.

Pete you forget one thing, lights are on the front and back of a bike, the only time I've nearly hit a cyclist, was on a dark rainy night when he pulled out of a junction without giving way to me. He was wearing dark clothing and with no reflectors visible anywhere on the side of his bike, I was lucky my reactions were quick enough to avoid hitting him. Of course despite my emergency stop, he just looked at me, made an angry gesture and rod off as if I was to blame.

In my opinion the rules on cycling on roads, pavements etc needs a full overhall and set out in law so everyone is reading from the same book. Helmets should be compulsory due to the speed some of these bikes now travel and the fact roads are now much busier.

it's all our fault for not being able to see him on his pushbike because it's got a reflector, a back light (crumbs, not one of those mega annoying flashy on/off things too, I hope?),

Those flashing lights mean you do see a cyclist long before you would see a reflective jacket or ordinary lights.

And talking of lights if some drivers realised just how invisible a dark coloured car can be against a dark road they would put their lights on and rush off to a cycle shop to get some flashing things as well.

Those flashing lights play havoc on a windscreen already splattered with raindrops, making it harder to see the precise position of the cyclist.  Aren't they illegal?  If not, they ought to be.

Yellow / reflective clothing is something that I might chose to wear depending on the conditions.

What I would prefer to avoid is people getting a general idea that all they need to look out for is "yellow", and they can ignore any inconvenient bit in the highway code about needing to be able to see other things in the road ahead too.... 

All the reflective strips I've ever come across were a greyish-silver, not yellow.

I drive a car at least twice a week, usually more.

There is a reflector on the front and back of my bike as well as one on each wheel, but I stand by the fact that you will see the lights a long way before you see any reflectors. And yes, mine are the flashing variety. You would be surprised at the number of drivers who have overtaken the car that is coming towards me. A couple of times I have had to take avoiding action and get onto the verge. This is why my lights are on day and night now.

If your windscreen wipers are going like billy-o and you still can't see through the rain on your screen then you are driving too fast for the road conditions or your wipers are faulty or you have defective vision. The flashing lights on a bike are no brighter that a brake light. I have bought some glasses that help with night driving recently and they make a huge difference.

I have had close squeaks with cyclists. In every case they have had no lights on and in the dark.

The lights I have emit light from the side, I also use the higher quality reflector on my wheels and frame.

As for the complaint of led lights being illegal, they are as bright at LED and discharge lights being fitted to cars, on that thought, imagine buying a car and having to fit your own lights? If your windscreen wipers are not effective enough to clear the screen, it is obvious that conditions dictate you slow right down. Then, you are also aware of a cyclist.

Quality reflectors tend to mimic the colours they reflect, it is the low quality grey reflector that is common, they deteriorate through wear, have to be washed in non-bio and loose their effectiveness over several washes, Scotch Tapes recommend they are replaced after 26 washes. 

Those flashing lights play havoc on a windscreen already splattered with raindrops, making it harder to see the precise position of the cyclist.Aren't they illegal?  If not, they ought to be.

No, for a period of time, after LED lights arrived, if was not clear of a flashing light complied with the legal requirements for a rear bike light - the rules as previously written not having thought about that option. It has been clarified that they do comply legally, provided the light meets the required minimum strength.

All the reflective strips I've ever come across were a greyish-silver, not yellow.

Sorry, I worte my reply quickly, and reading it back it is not so clear.

I chose to wear a yellow vest with reflective strips at night and if I end up stuck in mist.

All things being equal that is an easy choice, but once you bring human nature and risk compensation into it, it unfortunately not always so straight forward. My judgement is that the balance is positive for those conditions. Other people may judge differently. If I rode in town a lot, with more common complex junction interactions I would tend toward using it more, although I'd have some worries about the overall picture.