Italy

furrydice

For my husband's 40th next June, I am planning a surprise holiday for us to Italy :-) Neither of us have been before, but have have always wanted to visit. I've been doing lots of reading on Italy for ideas on where to go (we are only there for a week) and my head is now bamboozled! I'm pretty sure it's going to be Tuscany......but where?? I am loooking for somewhere picturesque and reasonably un-touristy....perhaps on the outskirts of a town, so that we can wander into town with nice eateries and bars when we wish. Would also be nice to be close to wineries to do some tasting ;-) I've been looking at Siena and Chianti just recently.

Has anybody done any travelling in Italy that could give me some ideas/advice?

Any info would ge much appreciated :-)

• 1 month later...

We went to Florence a couple of years ago, it is certainly touristy but we were staying among the locals in an apartment, there was so much to see and do. There are direct flights from Edinburgh to Pisa and regular buses from Pisa airport to Florence.It is expensive though, be prepared.

• 4 weeks later...