which network?

mellow

I just don't bother using a mobile ( have vodaphone and find the lack of signal sooo frustrating none at my house for a start ) and therefore haven't updated to a smart phone . My son however considers this kit an essential for survival can anyone advise me on coverage for phone and internet services. 

Vodafone have the best phone coverage in Shetland. O2 and EE have limited 3g coverage.

Where I find a smartphone useful is using free wifi services. All SIC premises allow you to connect to the SIC guest network, as do the Recreational Trust and Mareel. Also because our broadband is through BT I have put the BT Fon app on my phone. This allows you to connect to BT wifi hotspots throughout Britain.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bt.mnie.wispr&hl=en

I have a very poor signal from Vodafone but a neighbour gets a better signal from O2.  Worth using the on-line postcode checkers of the major companies but then maybe finding people with mobiles on various systems to check the signal at your house.  Mobile broadband unlikely to work well in poor reception areas.  If BT will not supply a broadband connection then you are limited to satellite broadband or old fashioned dial up internet.  Can get that pre paid at good rates.

Thanks Justme, i do get broadband from plusnet who supplied a connection when the bigboys wouldn't. Its not brilliant ,would be no good for games, but i can usually get iplayer to work now which is brilliant...just trying to work out weather its worth paying for a contract for a smartphone if the service is rubbish