Tablets

Aaron Foord

Okay, I now know I am getting old when I have to ask advice about computers on a forum.

I currently use a laptop for everyday use including the business and home stuff. However, having just re-started playing guitar I wanted something that I can store music on - when I say music, I mean backing tracks that I can play along with and also text files of tabs, chords etc. The lighter it is the better, but having looked everywhere from Ebay to computer shops, I am left a little confused.

I do not want to pay out a fortune, in fact the cheaper the better but do tablets have a sound output device? Can I plug a tablet into a mixer or amp and play back music files?

I realise that tablets do not have hard drives, but instead use memory cards but am I going to find that having stored a dozen songs I have run out of memory?

Any help or advice would be appreciated, but in a language for a self confessed dork on the subject please!

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, so far it has been great. It only has wifi and bluetooth. It has so far done everything I want. It copes with my work and union stuff as well as my bank stuff. The battery lasts quite well. As with any Android you will have to down load aps to get what you want, though, many are compatible with windows based software.

Don't go for cheap.

Not had any dealings with that one, I do have a 7" Kindle colour which is android, since getting the Samsung, I have not used it much, though I guess it would be OK for travelling. Time to sell it I guess..

With the Samsung, you have the option of adding a USB port via the charge slot, this can run a printer or other low powered devices, as for memory, a 32gb micro SD card is available and can be used with the Samsung, also a 64 gb pen drive can run off the USB, gives quite a large amount of storage if managed right. Mine has an inbuilt 16gb and a 1gHz processor, 10.1" screen helps.

It is good for sound, I use mine for backing when hosting at venues between acts when I am the sound guy, I also use it when I produce my radio show.

On my 2gb card, I have 117 tracks and it has used 1.3gb

Good luck with your choice Aaron, keep in mind though your experience with the TV you had trouble with.

Edited by shetlandpeat

£115 as opposed to £300. the hudl has a 1.5gb quad processor same size as the kindle.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/tesco-hudl-1183138/review

http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2300516/tesco-hudl-tablet-review/page/2

up to you what you pick depends what you want to do with it. as the second review says 60 quid in vouchers will double so it would be free.

After using the 7" Kindle, the 10.1" is a big difference. Though, as Aaron mentions the weight, the tesco machine is quite heavy (1/3rd heavier) than the comparison used in the second review. If as well Aaron wants to view files the bigger may be better..

Shop around really.

there are a number to choose from... HERE

Hehe, he could make an offer on my Kindle. It will be going on Ebay soon...