Pelican crossings!

damissinlink

I would not cross there, if you were to install a new set from the start, they would probably not be able to site them there. There is a safer crossing point a little up the hill though cannot be fun for those who have difficulties with inclines. I remember several occasions where cars were unable to stop in time and shoot through. Mind, they were the days when front drum brakes were the normality.

The only way really is to keep on at the council and presure them. Folk give up too easily nowadays.

It only takes someone to write to the council for the facts on why they lights remain unservicable. A simple act really.

It only takes someone to write to the council for the facts on why they lights remain unservicable. A simple act really.

You wish! Clearly you have never had the misfortune of attempting a simple correspondence with SIC Housing. The rest *may* operate to a more "user friendly" customer service model, but I have minimal faith that they may do.

You wish! Clearly you have never had the misfortune of attempting a simple correspondence with SIC Housing. The rest *may* operate to a more "user friendly" customer service model, but I have minimal faith that they may do.

That would explain yourAnonymous posts on here. Though I would never think you or your friend really have the stamina to go all the way. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/files/2013/02/121213777_image_1024w.jpg

It only takes someone to write to the council for the facts on why they lights remain unserviceable. A simple act really.

That would explain yourAnonymous posts on here. Though I would never think you or your friend really have the stamina to go all the way.

How do you work out that Ghostrider is anonymous?.  Surely there is enough information in their respective postings for anyone determined to do so to work out who Ghostie and Unlinkedstudent really are.  As indeed there are enough clues for a determined tracker to track you down.

Now let's get back to the point of this thread.  Malfunctioning Pelican crossings are potentially lethal and the SIC should do something about it.  BTW today I noticed that the cover on one broken crossing was market Siemens.  Is this a clue to who maintains them or perhaps some sort of distraction.

As for the Church road crossing I either avoid it (working or not) or use my ears and the mirror by the Small Boat Harbour to make my own decision about when it is safe to cross.  But since large numbers of AHS pupils cross here something should be done........or will the SIC consider that building a new school count as doing something?.

You do not have to be determined, but quite sad to search down the private details of a person who post on a forum, then to share it via PM to anyone who may be in some sort of dialogue to use as some sort of check point to assess their views. Then, also to personally ring them to influence their posts on here, I have heard this has been the case, that is, obsession of some degree when there is already a means of private conversation. Hence the reason why, I care not for personal knowledge of such anomalies who are on here as that would then ruin the experience of this forum and the dialogue that it can invoke. Many may not be comfortable in expressing their deeper thoughts and foybles if they were to have to reveal their selves by name and true likeness in image.

As for the lights, what was the response from the council? Anyone?

We have established now with many personal experiences on how dangerous it could be to cross at the Church Road/Commercial Street jcn lights (yet you still do it (wierd)) and have made up senarios to sensationalise these in a few cases.

Time for someone to reveal themselves and take some action.

That would explain yourAnonymous posts on here.

The anonimity of another exists primarily in the eyes of those who fail to ask, thus condemning themselves to perpetual ignorance and unenlightenment.

Or the disappointment one may get from the knowledge. As it is a choice to search, not a need unless there are underlying issues that may need addressing.

Edited by shetlandpeat

peat mate take a chill pill your way off topic. its not a big place up here so its not a big deal if we know the posters real name. most of us don't care. its not as thou our lives are that exciting for us to be worried. you dont need shetlink to know everything about some one up here. before we moved to were we are they knew more about us than i would have liked. really its normal for a small community.

Still, tis fun though. Apart from the road crossing bit. anyhow, I have asked some one to answer the question about the lights, will let folk know when I do.

There are some in small communities that are more isolated than is known, that can be sad to see. There is more self harm in smaller communities as well, though, the populus wants to ignore that.

The good thing I have enjoyed about these forum is the ability to be a little diverse, that is, for one or two posts, move off topic, mind some do go on, and guilty of that I may be, but, again, it is part of life, imagine how boring the pubbe would be if the same rules applied.

Back to the topic again, folk need to be more vocal and do some shouting, we changed the Governments mind in closing the Coastguard station but not for safer roads. Shetland rarely sees public outcry and feet on streets in protest, until recently.

It may be an avenue the the community council could look at or even the group of Lerwick shop keepers.

The church road crossing was placed where it is to serve the people coming and going from the sooth end and loads of kids from the school. Common sense tells us that folk, particularly kids are unlikely to head up a steep hill to find a safer crossing point and the many elderly who live in the sooth end are hardly able to do so. Most kids crossed the road just below the crossing as they couldn't see the sense in walking the few feet up the official crossing point.

When the lights were working, you had some sort of security that vehicles would stop in time when the lights were red.

This council response of " we canna get spares" just doesn't wash with me. For god sake these lights exist all over the country are you telling me that lights are failing throughout Britain and not being fixed as no one get get spares?

Surely the problem is a circuit board one. Does the sic not have a decent electrician amongst it's thousands of staff. If not please employ one and get rid of the clowns in the office who quote all the reasons they can't fix them, instead of the solution to the problem.

If need be, get them replaced with new ones before someone gets maimed or killed.

I'm sorry but it's just not good enough. If the employees can't fix it then the councillors need to get their fingers out and rattle some cages.

For god sake get Peter Bain out of retirement, I'm sure he would get them working in no time. :-(

I care not for personal knowledge of such anomalies who are on here....

Then why the repeated jibes at me over time all over this site attempting to undermine the credibility of various opinions I post on the SIC, because they are termed by you as being posted "anonymously".

You can't have your cake and eat it, you either accept the credibility of a posted opinion under an online identity, or you're demanding personal knowledge in the shape of someone's "real world" identity to be revealed in an online setting, before you give the same posted opinion credibility.

Methinks white man speak with forked tongue....or has simply lost the entire plot.

I post another opinion, that is all. Regardless of personal knowledge of the person posting. It is your camp that does the delving my friend, I care not for your, or anyone elses identity, but just respond to your many posts. You likewise. Trying to suggest that I "secretly" have gained knowledge and use it would be a suggestion that I may use the same M.O. as others on here. I feel that is a claim to justify anothers position.

Anyhow, back to topic... and seasons greetings x

These are a great idea and were long awaited, well the radio controlled lights, I have installed both wired and radio devices on long term works, battery changes every week or connect chargers to existing circuits though we have had some that use wind turbines and solar to charge.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5611/bid003jf7.jpg

Link

Edited by shetlandpeat

• 4 weeks later...

The other evening when councillor Wishart was interviewed on Radio Shetland he indicated that the Pelican crossings should be replaced with Zebra crossings to save money.

This may well save a few bob, but will seriously affect public safety

In my view and I’m sure most folk would agree, Pelican crossings are far safer than Zebra crossings especially for children.

In all my working life I have always been told not to compromise on safety.

As all the infrastructure, power ,cable ducts, ect for these crossings have already been provided at some considerable cost no doubt , surely it cannot be that terribly expensive to renew them.

What cost public safety ! Surely safety first., with no compromising

So why doe’s these lights cost so much ?

Is there not funding available from some national traffic /transport organization !

Who carries out the maintenance on these lights and can it be done cheaper ?

What ever happens goodness forbid we go back to Zebras, I bet that a survey was done many years ago and the result was the removal of Zebras and the provision of Pelicans

So what has changed!