Unseen Economy; A Retrospective Look At Shetlink Classifieds

admin

It's an interesting point re: the 14 day adverts. This was always the situation prior but, I would hazard a guess is a/the main reason that people want to create multiple duplicate adverts.

Being an automated system for the ease of users was to enable users the freedom to manage their own adverts but, there are always people that deem their property to be more important than other users and abuse the system. There have been instances where people have sat and watched their advert roll off the front page and then put on another. This isn't particularly fair for other users but, that makes no odds to them! *sigh*

There is a search facility continually being developed to provide better results - and it has to be said that if peoples goods aren't being purchased a) stick on pictures so people can actually see what they're buying b ) add descriptive descriptions ... the key is in the word! A one liner with no meaning is nigh on useless c) if no-ones buying it it probably means you might as well burn it!

There is consideration on lowering the 14 days. Perhaps halving to 7 days would be more conducive to individuals selling requirements?

The key is in the renewal on Shetlink. An advert runs it course and can be edited throughout that period and when finished can be renewed from the personal classifieds manager. There is no need to create another.

I suspect the largest downside for the Facebook classifieds system for those attempting to manage it is the free-for-all nature of it.

if people who post adverts would put where they/their item is located, they may get more results. I have spent too long mailing people who do not bother to reply or when they do, the item is already sold simply because they cannot be bothered to state a location which is in itself pretty stupid.

Sellers obviously want to sell their items and if I was looking for something and saw it was on sale near me, I would be more inclined to persue that sale rather than just passing it by.

As far as 14 days goes, I think that is a perfect time or you will just get the same ads posted time and time again just to gain front page status.

It's a good point and is easy enough to have a drop-down say with "South Mainland", "Central Mainland", "West Mainland", "North Mainland", "North Isles", for instance, if people are reluctant to put exact geographical placement.

Anyone else?

As far as 14 days goes, I think that is a perfect time or you will just get the same ads posted time and time again just to gain front page status.

The only way I can really think to stop the annoyance of duplicate adverts just to gain front-page status is to remove the front-page but, you would still get the possibility of that in each category. Plus it really would retard the overall system by removing "latest" adverts - or would it? It would become a different user interface I guess where you'd have to search for what you want; either by category exploration or the search function. Either that or charge for adverts - it becomes a free-for-all without moderation and those wishing to place multiple ads would do so at extra cost and we'd buy a all bells whistling server with the proceeds!

Every body kood pay say £ 10 a year and put as many adverts on as they need as i was told last year that i had used up my number and not alowed to put on any more adverts .

I seem to remember someone having an issue with not being able to create new adverts.

It turned out that they had 100* old adverts in the system that had not been deleted and that was causing the code to prevent any new adverts being created.

* - number plucked out of thin air as I can't recall the exact number off hand.

i agree we ald dug £10 a year braks doon ta 0.027 pence a day even an oap widna mind dat

Some might if all they did was flog one item a year worth a fiver.

Perhaps a small joining fee which would allow members only, to place adverts and access the members only sections. This might discourage ads like the seven puppy's for sale placed this morning. It would also discourage people having more than one log in.

Those who do not want to be a member can still look at ads and buy items but not place an ad?

As long as the fee was reasonable people would still see it as a cost effective way of selling/recycling items.

A slightly larger fee could be charged for business membership.

This would bring in much needed income for server upgrades etc, and hopefully reduce these spam ads. Just a thought!

In one thread we feel for the hard done by trader, in this, charging them more than everyone else. If this is to become a business, then do so, but if it is a community asset, be fair. After all, if it is recruitment , there are still job centres, though there is a little hassle into the signing into the Government Gateway and proving your responsibility as an employer is checked, they are in the main, a better option.

The ebay option would need policing, you can see if you look the problems ebay have had to overcome the less than honorable trader/buyer.

I am sure that us normal users have contributed in the past, and will probably carry on doing so, though, now rectified, I heard that an acknowledgement of such donations were few and far between. this then leads us to the classified section paying for those who do not use that section but happily take up banter and debate in other areas.

If you start to charge, folk will expect.

Edited by shetlandpeat

In one thread we feel for the hard done by trader, in this, charging them more than everyone else.

Can you clarify this point? Grasping what you mean is out with my control at moment?!

Let me ponder: I've been swittlin in the broon muck at the bottom of my stank now for a long set of years and have only become involved in Shetlink now since the last peerie while! Without direction of thought ...

.... contributers / those that donate. I would like to see some form of recognition for those users i.e. a badge at least or other or even further access to areas - or other. This should have been done in the past but, for whatever reason didn't materialise. As has been pointed out in various threads, PM's, Facebook Classifieds - without those contributing - this show would now surely be off-road. A 4x4 website - now that's a thing.

If you start to charge, folk will expect.

Without doubt and a mainstay of this thread and the direction it's taking. People however, have also to 'expect' that over a considerable number of years there has been more than just 'blood, sweat, and tears', put into Shetlink by those behind the scenes to enable it to survive, not only technically, but also on a raft of 'other levels'. Without those bods tender care again we're into 4x4 chat.

We're all in an online realm looking forward to 2014 - where are we all as a community going to drive? 4x4 ?

Id like more e-bay style buying options in the classifieds , where you can pay for things by paypal, select delivery ,  shetlink could claim a small fee or percentage of each item

Yes, auction stylee you mean too?

Re: paying for things. Is there more want from anyone else also? How does everyone see this functioning - i.e. pay 'n post / deliver Shetland only, escrow, etc. Certainly possible but, will need further development to achieve.

^^ Largest issue is Shetlink as a conduit can't also be on top of deals gone sour. Not without people 24x7 policing. I understand this is where Shetlandpeat was driving. PayPal and their dispute system for instance. Massive timespace and money gone into achieving that.