Weather disruptions

admin

Here's some links to the latest news on the adverse weather disruptions. Have a check before you head out (or head back home!) and stay safe folks.

There's also regular updates on SIBC and Radio Shetland.

Please do post updates on conditions on the roads and in your local areas in this thread too.

Another useful link

http://www.shetland.gov.uk/icecast/#skipnav

If you're not comfortable driving then consider things like getting a bus, or staying at home.

No idea what the Kames are like just now, but given how cold it is they will probably be either covered in icy snow or gritted and slushy.

Also from the roads website

Anyone with individual queries can contact the Roads Service directly on 01595 744866.

Consider getting a bus? Have you been on a bus with this wind speed? it gets buffeted all over the place often ending up partially on the verge and the doors blowing open. Any high sided vehicle is more susceptible to buffeting in high winds and with snow and ice it makes it even more dangerous.

Just needs a spot of priming MJ. Tell us about what you're experiencing and seeing at the moment and ideally others will join in.

For me, I'm stuck swimming about the bottom sludge in my burn as the top's iced over :( .. no, but seriously, it's cold and I've no real need to go driving anywhere.

*remembers the days back to when there was some neep rambling on about his car having gone off the road and blaming the SIC; rather than blame his own incompetent driving skills!*

Wind chill is effectively the heat sapping ability of wind:

Wind-chill: The effect of low temperature is compounded by the heat-extracting effect of the wind (it is, after all, one way they rapidly freeze animal carcasses!) To provide an example, a 20-knot wind at 10°C will be the equivalent of freezing point in still air, as regards heat loss.

There's a chart at the Scottish Mountaineering Club depicting wind chill (it's at bottom of glossary)