Total Idiot's on the roads

Heoga40

I have been driving up and down to lerwick several times over the last few months and the standard of driving is unbelievable how someone has not been killed is amazing .You get Idiots driving right up behind you on full beam usally a white pick up heading north going flat out trying to get to work probaly working on the new gas plant and before someone says otherwise the names of the company's are all over the vehicles so i know who they are working for .I have tried to phone them to complian they said i had to give them number of the pick up not easy when they are so close to you that you can't see the number plate .Also over the last few days we have had some snow so why do so many people seem to be driving with fog lights on or even worse one head light . Then you get the idiot's who think they are racing drivers and think they can overtake on blind corners i have had two near misses one of them was very near the only reason i diden't get the guys number was because i was trying to avoid a head on crash with him i had two wheels of the road .My biggest fear is someone is going to be killed before anything is done about it the idiot's that cause the crash usally get away with it without a scratch while someone minding there own business dies.

It happens all over, working on the roads has become very dangerous as folk seem not to be bothered about other folks. I also think that all the additional safety measures put in vehicles today give a false sense of security. Gone from having the skill in driving to avoid an accident to relying on the skill of designers to save you when you do have an accident. I have noticed that folk have started to drive more agresively over the last 3 years. The only thing you can do is make a complaint, the more complaints received, the more chance something may be done.

The Co-op roundabout was an attraction when it first was built, sat a few times watching the confusion.

On another note, doing the jobs I have done, it soon became apparent that folk could not see so well, or sadly, could not read so well. Especially when putting in divesions for closing roads. They would fail to follow the route they needed to get them around the closure.

One of the bug problems coming to light is the use of mobile phones. I am often driving a vehicle that is taller than the average car, the amount of times you see drivers with their mobiles on their laps, ready to use at the next halting of the traffic, only to be then beeped at by the car behind because they have not noticed they can go. If you sit at a junction, you will see one on average every 5 minutes or less.

I agree with Peat in that there are poor drivers everywhere. However, some Shetland folk could do with an Idiot's guide to roundabouts. Especially at the Co-op one, which seems to be in a constant stale-mate. Give way to the right, people. It's no rocket science...

Yip and some folk could show a little patience and understanding particularly of older people who are more cautious at roundabouts.

In an ideal world we would all be perfect drivers, but I often wonder if everyone really needs to get where they are going in such a hurry that they get so annoyed at anyone who may hold them up for a few seconds.

Yip and some folk could show a little patience and understanding particularly of older people who are more cautious at roundabouts.

In an ideal world we would all be perfect drivers, but I often wonder if everyone really needs to get where they are going in such a hurry that they get so annoyed at anyone who may hold them up for a few seconds.

We'll all be old one day. Caution is commendable, but come off it. Fact is some folk just don't seem to understand how they work.

Believe me, I have plenty of patience and sympathy when it comes to dealing with older drivers.

I've been stuck behind many a 'Sunday Driver' doing 40mph from Sandwick to Lerwick and would never dream of tailgating them or dangerously overtaking (which has happened to me plenty of times when I've been about 60mph) . It doesn't mean it's not annoying though.

Besides, in my experience these are not OAPS, it's folk from all walks of life. If you're scared of a small roundabout then maybe you shouldn't be on the road at all... :???:

I have been driving up and down to lerwick several times over the last few months and the standard of driving is unbelievable how someone has not been killed is amazing .You get Idiots driving right up behind you on full beam usally a white pick up heading north going flat out trying to get to work probaly working on the new gas plant and before someone says otherwise the names of the company's are all over the vehicles so i know who they are working for .I have tried to phone them to complian they said i had to give them number of the pick up not easy when they are so close to you that you can't see the number plate .Also over the last few days we have had some snow so why do so many people seem to be driving with fog lights on or even worse one head light . Then you get the idiot's who think they are racing drivers and think they can overtake on blind corners i have had two near misses one of them was very near the only reason i diden't get the guys number was because i was trying to avoid a head on crash with him i had two wheels of the road .My biggest fear is someone is going to be killed before anything is done about it the idiot's that cause the crash usally get away with it without a scratch while someone minding there own business dies.

Are you aware that Total/Petrofac take dangerous driving very seriously? If you report the reg number and incident to them and it matches the tracker information which is attached to most if not all of their vehicles they discipline the driver, I have heard of at least 2 people who had their vehicles removed from them.

Besides, in my experience these are not OAPS, it's folk from all walks of life. If you're scared of a small roundabout then maybe you shouldn't be on the road at all... :???:

I agree, folk of all ages can struggle with roundabouts, particulary if they haven't driven south and/or got used to them. I have had many a small wait at roundabouts as everyone came to a standstill, but the few seconds I've been delayed has never got my hackles raised.

A car in Shetland can often be a lifeline and with that it mind I try to be tollerant of the odd driver who doesn't drive as perfectly as we all should. I still rather drive in Shetland then the likes of Aberdeen despite being very experienced.

On a recent journey from Walls to Lerwick with a friend, we were tailgated by a small van, I really dont think they could of driven any closer. We clearly had a young child in the back of the car to. The van then overtook us... only to pull into the primary school a very short distance up the road. 

The said van caught us up beside the golfclub and did the exact same thing to us, to just over take us and then tailgate the lorry in front of us which we were driving a safe distance behind. They were that close they kept pulling into the middle of the road to have a look round the lorry to overtake, despite heavy traffic. 

Totally idiotic. 

I generally drive 45/50mph where safe to do so,  I dont drive fast, especially at night. I only have a little low powered car which cant steamroll up steep hills and young children on board. I often feel very unsafe when people drive right up my backside. Even if they wish to overtake, is there any need to drive so close putting my family in danger? It seems to be getting worse.. all for what? to arrive in Lerwick 5 mins earlier??! 

I had a driver a couple of weeks ago driving right up my bumper, I was also stuck myself behind a car but didn't feel the need to drive right up close. The driver behind me eventually over took myself and the other car, flashed his lights at me full beam as he overtook and also blasted his horn. It quite shook me up, so thankyou to whoever that was.. your a moron. I am an experienced driver and prior to Shetland spent alot of miles and hours up and down the motorways south with work and localities.  Ive seen far to many pile ups and crunched up cars/lorries where its was pretty obvious nobody walked away from to want to drive recklessly.  

I wish there was more spot policing on the local roads

Really what is the rush???  If your someone who likes to drive up close, have a thought for the driver in front, it actually scares me sometimes to be out on the roads here.. leave a safe distance and overtake when safe to do so. Its not rocket science your car may be better and faster than mine, but sitting on bumper sadly wont make mine go any faster unless your going to push it!

I have watched cars pass two or three others at a time, just to come over the hill and catch up with them again as they are stuck behind a truck. They took risks passing unsafely and they are still just in front of me. The funny thing is, is that it's the racers who cause the traffic to have to brake slowing everything up.

They canna see dat the risks they are taking with their own life's as those of others may just reduce their journey by a matter of a few minutes at best.

But I have to admit I was that idiot On occasions in my younger days, age and experience teaches us well, as long as we live to see it :-)

Edited by owre-weel

On a recent journey from Walls to Lerwick with a friend, we were tailgated by a small van, I really dont think they could of driven any closer. We clearly had a young child in the back of the car to. The van then overtook us... only to pull into the primary school a very short distance up the road. 

The said van caught us up beside the golfclub and did the exact same thing to us, to just over take us and then tailgate the lorry in front of us which we were driving a safe distance behind. They were that close they kept pulling into the middle of the road to have a look round the lorry to overtake, despite heavy traffic. 

Totally idiotic. 

I generally drive 45/50mph where safe to do so,  I dont drive fast, especially at night. I only have a little low powered car which cant steamroll up steep hills and young children on board. I often feel very unsafe when people drive right up my backside. Even if they wish to overtake, is there any need to drive so close putting my family in danger? It seems to be getting worse.. all for what? to arrive in Lerwick 5 mins earlier??! 

I had a driver a couple of weeks ago driving right up my bumper, I was also stuck myself behind a car but didn't feel the need to drive right up close. The driver behind me eventually over took myself and the other car, flashed his lights at me full beam as he overtook and also blasted his horn. It quite shook me up, so thankyou to whoever that was.. your a moron. I am an experienced driver and prior to Shetland spent alot of miles and hours up and down the motorways south with work and localities.  Ive seen far to many pile ups and crunched up cars/lorries where its was pretty obvious nobody walked away from to want to drive recklessly.  

Really what is the rush???  If your someone who likes to drive up close, have a thought for the driver in front, it actually scares me sometimes to be out on the roads here.. leave a safe distance and overtake when safe to do so. Its not rocket science your car may be better and faster than mine, but sitting on bumper sadly wont make mine go any faster unless your going to push it!

A quick answer to this problem.

First safe opportunity - Pull over. Let the clown go and kill him/herself without taking you and your family with them.  Plus it'll give you a chance to settle down if you're being harassed by another driver and feeling unsafe.

As an aside, folk can post on here all they want complaining about driving standards, it won't make a blind bit of difference to the richard heads out there. Get it off your chests by all means, but take charge of the situations yourselves, folks. Drive defensively.

Two options I was told was the one above, which is fine though you may just feel a little resentful that you were bullied into pulling over, although for safety, the other, is if you cannot pull over, gradually reduce your speed, it may make them angry, but if they do have an accident, it could be at a lower, much lower speed.

However, after saying all that, with all our descriptions here, it could be difficult to have a idea of the situation. I have fitted a camera to my cycle, I also use it in the works van. If anything, it could help those who I leave behind claim full compensation for my estate.

Edited by shetlandpeat

Totally idiotic. 

A quick answer to this problem.

First safe opportunity - Pull over. Let the clown go and kill him/herself without taking you and your family with them.  Plus it'll give you a chance to settle down if you're being harassed by another driver and feeling unsafe.

As an aside, folk can post on here all they want complaining about driving standards, it won't make a blind bit of difference to the richard heads out there. Get it off your chests by all means, but take charge of the situations yourselves, folks. Drive defensively.

This I do when I can, although not always so easy in the dark if you don't know where a decent pull over place is.  I happily do this on the single tracks if someone wants to get by. Is just very frustrating people feel they can use their car as some sort of bullying tool on a public highway. I agree, I expect nothing will make a blind bit of notice to the ' Richard Heads' of this world.  I wish I had reported the said van at the primary school at the time to the firm. If it happens again I shall be!