What are you currently reading?

Because I like to own things!

Fair enough, though in a sense you do partially own the libraries too.

I dont think I have been to the library since primary school....

It may be worthwhile giving it a try. I can't praise the public library system enough. In terms of civilisation they are right up there with free education and health care. Just imagine if they hadn't been introduced when they were and someone tried to introduce them now. Not a chance.

John Locke's "Donovan Creed" novels, on Kindle. Delightfully dark and slightly perverse and apparently amoral, however all is not as it seems. A recommended set of reads, particularly "Saving Rachel", and all are a snip at under a pound each!!

Your humble servant. :)

Hi,

I'm reading The Valley of the Horses by Jean M Auel, a follow on from The Clan of the Cave Bears, quite different from what I usually read, and after a slow start I now want to know what happens next, there are a few pages you might like to speed through, but it is interesting to imagine what life was like back in the mists of time and the hardships they had to endure, no Clipper lighters then, lol, rubbing stones together, I can relate to that, we all have to learn things even now, too much technology is my problem, but a winter of nightclasses is at hand, I can pass them on when I'm finished, got to order the rest now, let me no if you're interested...

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Dawn of The Dumb, which is basically just the collected Charlie Brooker articles from his old Guardian column. Hilarious, but dates pretty badly as most of them are on that week's TV, dating back to 2006.

About to read The Roost by Shetland's Neil Butler, which looks a bit "Irvine Welshy", which I suppose can only be a good thing...

"The Burning Soul", John Connolly. He writes elegiac prose, similar to my other favorite author, James Lee Burke. I simply cannot get enough and Watson and I have waited and waited for this novel (yes, Watson, I shall continue reading aloud in just one moment! Honestly, dear friends, he can be such a child sometimes! :roll:).

I remain,

Your thoroughly engrossed and humble servant. :)

• 1 month later...

Sherlock, just read a back number, Spring '82, of The Countryman, in which there's an article on Sherlock's origins.

A countryman who spent a third of his life in London, he retired to West Cornwall at the end of the century. "The lowest and vilest alleys in London do not present a more dreadful record of sin than does the smiling and beautiful countryside!" he states. Holmes never mentions his parents, he author speculates that one of them murdered the other.

Regards,