What are you currently reading?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Murdered? No, sir, not murder. Brained with a frying pan on several occasions, granted, after he had over-imbibed with his roister-doister chums, but never murder (alhough what mother would do to a mutton chop might, perhaps, qualify...?) :wink:

Your humble servant :) [/i]

• 2 weeks later...

I recently started to read The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, because I found it cheap in the book shop and I want to find out, why there is such a big hype about the author and his books. I watched the movie, but wasn't impressed. Now by reading the book I start to understand why it has become a besteller ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I recently read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It was his debut book. It is the first book of a fantasy trilogy. It is the most amazing book I've ever read and I've read a lot more than fantasy fiction. I've read some of the classics and this book beats them all. All you need is an open mind (to accept fantasy fiction) and a little patience as it's a long one. The beauty of this book is that the protagonist is believable and his choices always mirrored either what I would do or what would've liked to have done. It is al the best bits of Harry Potter, Oliver Twist and Lord of the rings combined to make a wonderful story. The second book isn't quite as good but it's still awesome - Be warned though the third book in the trilogy hasn't yet been published - Another reason for patience.

• 1 month later...

Master D'oh,

With regards to Ms Cleeves' Shetland Quartet, I fear I have never been able to force myself past "Raven Black", as the glaring and poorly researched procedural errors (including local policing structures) set my teeth on edge.

The devil is in the detail, at least for this public servant! :wink:

Even Mr Ian Rankin fell prey to the fault in one of his otherwise excellent Rebus novels. In the novel in question, he laughingly referred to detectives in Inverness having to rely upon one of their relatives, who was a wedding photographer, or suchlike, to photograph an item at the Clootie Well, for the eponymous detective, as they were incapable of doing so themselves, or directing our long-established Scene of Crime Officers to do so.

Fortunately, I later had the occasion to discuss this matter with the author, following a chance meeting, where we shared views. I then found that he had listened to our distant cousins in Lothian and Borders Police, who had advised him of our abilities or lack thereof. Not the best mine of authority on such matters, I assured him...

I digress. Ms Cleeves is a fine author of fiction, I am sure. However, for me, it is a taste I simply cannot acquire. I far prefer Mr Stuart McBride, Mr Rankin, Mr Simon Beckett, Mr John Connolly, Mr Michael Connelly, Mr James Grant ("Lee Child" to his fans) and the simply superb Mr Robert Crais, of whom I am a huge fan and proud to count as a (pen) friend.

As you may observe, I am a fan of detective fiction. An occupational hazard, I would suggest, however do not ask me of politics, or astronomy or other such matters. As Watson blurted to the world, in "A Study in Scarlet", my head is too filled with other, more important matters, such as my monograph on the identification of sherbet powders, by their constituent components at crime scenes... :wink:

I remain, as always,

Your humble, slightly whimsical servant. :)

I've been struggling with a book called "Saints and Sinners" by Paul Cuddihy. Its based in 1891 in the east end of Glasgow and centres around the troubles, woes, fights, bouts of drinking, mutilation, abuse, squaller and the general living conditions of first generation irish immigrants.

You'll appreciate why I have been struggling, but at page 100 it seems to be gaining some pace. I'll stick with it...

Alistair MacLean's San Andreas

By virtue of international law and obvious self-interest, hospitals and hospital ships are normally exempt from deliberate attack during wartime. Thus, the attacks on the hospital ship SAN ANDREAS are both surprising and inexplicable-- all the more so, inasmuch as none of the attempts seem designed to sink the vessel but rather to slow it down so as to enable the Germans to board it at their leisure. This interpretation of events is validated by the existence of saboteurs who disable both equipment and crew members in such a manner as to impede the ship’s progress from Murmansk to Scotland.

The enemy, however, does not anticipate the skill and tenacity of Archie McKinnon, the ship’s Shetland Bosun, who takes command when the bridge officers are wounded in an air attack. It is McKinnon who not only unmasks the saboteurs, but also, in a daring maneuver, turns the tables on the enemy, and despite his lack of armament, sinks a German submarine. Moreover, it is McKinnon who determines the reason for the attacks on the seemingly helpless hospital ship--it carries a shipment of gold from the Soviet Union to Great Britain concealed in its hull.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i am currently starting on the book series starting with 50 shades of grey. my friend recommended this book to me and so far i am hooked to it, hopefully i could finish the book and read the next one as the story really gets better, i have heard that it will be a movie soon, cant wait to watch it! hopefully it will be as good as the book though some details would surely be very controversial of shown on the screen, it will be a big challenge i guess.