What are you currently reading?

I just recently read the licensed guide of the new Sims 3, it was interesting but it had a lot of mistakes, so I highlighted the misprints! :lol:

I'm impressed. Total gobble-de-gook to me. Might aswell have been in simlish.

Try your Mum's Nokia N95 manual. I found mine rather entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Karen Armstrong's 'History of God' - interesting stuff; funny (peculiar, not 'ha ha') to think that as a species we seem to have been arguing over different views of the same subject for the past 4000 years at least.

Also Tanith Lee's 'The Birthgrave'. Obviously one of her earlier works - you can feel that she was still finding her voice - but definitely more in her stride than in 'The Storm Lord' which I read before that.

G W Dahlquist's 'The Dark Volume' is a decent follow up to 'The Glass Books of the Dream-Eaters', though annoying in an 'Empire Strikes Back, obviously part two of a trilogy' sort of way.

Joseph Delaney's 'The Spook's Mistake' is a reasonable addition to the series. Aimed at the young adult/post Harry Potter/apres Buffy market, it's a neat, quick burst of escapism after all that heavy duty theology (vide Armstrong, above).

Having been unfairly compared to 'The Da Vinci Code', Glen Cooper's 'Library of the Dead' is immeasurably superior. Mind you, that's not difficult...

I've attempted to make some headway with 'Life and How to Survive It' by Robin Skynner and John Cleese, but find Skynner's insight almost negated by Cleese's pomposity.

Also reading 'Trouble in My Head' by Mathilde Monaque - quite fascinating albeit hardly a barrel of laughs. Being a teen's account of her depression it does tend to swing between touching revelation and the worst excesses of adolescent angst.

Next on the pile appears to be 'The Red Tent' by Anita Diamant. One of these days I'll get into the habit of reading one book at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished: Flann O'Brien's "The Dalkey Archive". I'm a great fan of his "The Third Policeman", and it was nice to meet the eccentric de Selby again. Even better, I bought it in the Pound Shop.

Just getting into: Agricola's "De Re Metallica". First published 1556, translated 1912, and recently chucked out by the local library and flogged to me for 40p. An amazingly complete overview of metallurgy in the middle ages, from how to recognise ore deposits through to getting a decently pure product.

Shame on the library for clearing out superb reference books, even tho' I'm really happy to have it.

Just getting into: Agricola's "De Re Metallica". First published 1556, translated 1912, and recently chucked out by the local library and flogged to me for 40p. An amazingly complete overview of metallurgy in the middle ages, from how to recognise ore deposits through to getting a decently pure product.

Shame on the library for clearing out superb reference books, even tho' I'm really happy to have it.

Good on you! What a superb book to salvage!

I have a few out dated reference books, but could never throw them out. A particular favourite is a description of Ancient Egyptian archaeology, written before the opening of Tutankhamen's tomb. I've never read it all, but the very fact of having books like that, that is uniquely dated is a wonderful thing.

Oh, and thanks too DS for describing the book, it helps this thread as a book guide when folk give a description of a books contents, or a review of it as otherwise they are just unknown titles really. :wink:

Wow, me gone green.

I found a 1924 - 1932 diary book/notes/log of a Lancashire County Engineer.

There are many refs to stuff we here have taken for granted...

At that time, the motor car was gaining in popularity, more garages were being built and roads were improved.

Lancashire were the first to implement white lines on the road and this diary/log lists these..

It also gives many names to places and folk who worked for the council and I have since found, their relatives now work for the council...