What are you currently reading?

^I just finished 'Decoding reality' by Vlatko Vedral; might be worth checking out for a sciency nerd type journey through information processing and quantum theory. Will only last you an evening or two though, and it's not really a novel... :?

Think I've thought of a one that has no romance, no fantasy, no (magical) wizards, no war (unless the cold war counts), no murder, not on your list but no vampires/ghosts or similar beasties and you have to be seriously geeky if you figure the folk in it are celebs.

Stoll's The Cuckoo's Egg. All about finding out who was stealing a couple of cents on his departments account. Just to remind you what it was like in the good old days, when folk on this interweb thingy were so much more trusting. And that in 30odd years still folk haven't learnt about passwords.

Okay, just finished Stephen Kings latest thousand page ramble "Under the Dome". I won't spoil the plot (such as it is) for those that want to read it so I'll say "stupid idea, unbelievable characters for whom I had no sympathy, and what a crap ending." This is nowhere near the quality of "The Stand" - my advice, don't waste your time reading this.

Just finished Jenna Black's 'Speak of the Devil'.

I thought that 'Twilight' was scraping the bottom of the coffin, but Black's character of Morgan Kingsley - Exorcist, joins the ranks of the supernatural chick-lit army already peopled by Sonja Blue, Betsy Taylor, Meredith Gentry, Anita Blake, the Halliwell sisters, Buffy Summers and a host of others. Throwing in some token homoerotic S&M that reads like a low calorie Poppy Z Brite doesn't help matters. :roll:

Juggling numerous books to distract me from the 'Social Marketing' - currently working through Robert E Howard's 'Chtulhu: the Mythos & Kindred Horrors', Frederick Forsyth's 'The Phantom of Manhattan' and 'Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat' from the Calvin and Hobbes series.

Well, I'm reliving my childhood (thanks MJ, I've read all the Mr Gum books bar 1 :lol:).

Just finished "The Silver Sword" by Ian Serraillier which I first read about thirty years ago. I bought it for our oldest daughter from a charity shop and decided to have a quick skoit which resulted in me finishing it.

I've just read Harley Radington by Dorothea Primrose Campbell, courtesy of Google Booksand as mentioned in the Shetland Times on Friday. This book was published in 1821 and among its claims to fame it is, I believe, the first book to contain Shetland dialect. Although some of the vocabulary is not familiar to me the dialogue of the Shetland characters is not too far from what you can still hear today.