What are you currently reading?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Children of the Matrix" by David Icke, for the 2nd time... lent it out years ago & only got it back recently- a lot of it is even more relevant now... riveting read!

They have a copy in the Library.

I know what The Media said about / did to David Icke a while back... but then- who owns the media??

I always ask the question; "Who's gaining from this?" when I hear anything on the BBC-Illuminati News 24...

{My prediction of an attack on the Eiffel Tower or similar in the near future still stands...}

{Me? Paranoid??}

My prediction of an attack on the Eiffel Tower or similar in the near future still stands

I widna go sayin stuff lik dat. If Dubya Bush ever thought that sendin some Holographic plane shielded missiles over to Paris would gain him a tighter hold of the world oil price. You just gave him an alibi and made yersel a prime patsy.

I'm reading at the moment Andy Carrs easy way to stop smoking.

Avoid this book at all cost, it nearly put me right off me fags. :evil:

Luckily I had the foresight to stop reading it before any real damage was done.

I can still see the bloody book, through all the smoke, sitting there, looking at me, waiting, threatning. The horror, the horror.

"Monte Carlo Methods in Financial Engineering"

The title alone seems to confirm all my worst suspicions about "financial engineering" :D

For me at present, "Wild Swans" by Jung Chang. A fascinating personal history of how events have affected three generations in China, written by the youngest of them. (who was on Desert Island Discs last week)

• 2 weeks later...

I started reading "The End of Mr. Y" by Scarlett Thomas last night, and ended up sitting up till the very wee small hours. It's a rollercoaster ride of quantum physics, telepathy and much more with a little bit of the Matrix thrown in, and an addictive narrative. I can't wait to finish up work and get back to it.

• 3 weeks later...
Having given up entirely on Da Cellar I've decided to go for LoveFilm.com and our first dvd arrived today... Eragon. I think my son has just fallen in love with dragons (which involved a lengthy discussion about Pern and all dragon-related matters). I thought the film was fabulous, for a kids film anyway. Anyone know when the next one is coming out?

Aah, Pern. There's a place I haven't been for quite a number of years now. I used to be a regular visitor and was fairly enthralled by what was probably only my second visit to a "Fantasy" land and the genre (although I'd maybe already been hooked by a chance encounter with Donaldson's "Land" of Thomas Covenant during a chance encounter in the AHS library during 1985.)

I think it was the nobleness and self-sacrifice of the characters that took me, as I'm sure Ms McCaffrey intended, but it shaped my reading habits for a long time to come and I worked my way through a fair chunk of the series although I'm sure I've fallen off the pace now.

NOTE: Just realised that I've gone off at fair tangent to the purpose of this thread - sorry!

(*** Mod - moved this over to the books thread now ***)

^^ Likewise - a worn and tattered DragonFlight was handed to me by my mother when I was ten and that started a love of all things fantasy. The Belgariad was next. I pretty much read exclusively from that genre for the next.. er, fifteen years? until the BBC Big Read - a great long list of books that I have decided to work my way through. What a wonderful notion - it has introduced me to things I never would have dreamt of picking up - books that have become my absolute favourites (and others that have scared the bejezus out of me). (Sorry about continuing off topic here - I don't know how to reply to his /her post above in another thread).