Airports

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the government announce that they've foiled a major terrorist attack, and that the country is on def con 12 (or whatever they call it), is it wierd that a little part of me doesn't actually believe them?

I'm waiting for the call from Labour backbenchers to move on ID cards - "as this would have nipped these terrorist b*stards in the bud before they could have stepped foot on British soil"!! ... *cough* .. yeah right!!!

1984 .. here we come!!

When the government announce that they've foiled a major terrorist attack, and that the country is on def con 12 (or whatever they call it), is it wierd that a little part of me doesn't actually believe them?

There's a pretty large part of me that doesn't believe them.

Probably about half.

I'm waiting for the call from Labour backbenchers to move on ID cards - "as this would have nipped these terrorist b*stards in the bud before they could have stepped foot on British soil"!! ... *cough* .. yeah right!!!

1984 .. here we come!!

From reading further into this story it is clear (if that is such a thing) that the perpetrators are "British" muslims ... there you go !!! Another ruddy good reason not to get ID cards!!! How the hell would ID cards have stopped this! *goes off on one*

To Ally and McFly - I do understand where your doubt comes from .. but have to say, "yes" I do question the validity of anything that comes out of this government and it's media allies - but there must be people plotting against the foreign policy of this current government and it's "allies" foreign policies! See what went on last Summer in London for example... ! I doubt it stopped at them ... there are always people of like mindedness to fill the shoes of "downed comrades"!

Like always we're not getting the "full" picture here .. but there must be sheeit goin on that we just don't know about in the wider context! We can surmise and postulate ....

Sadly we live in a world that is exposed to terrorist acts. Make planes safe and they can move down to trains, buses, shopping centres and just about anywhere else that people congregate.

Short term I guess intelligence led raids are the only way to stop terrorists doing whatever dastardly deed they plan but long term meeting with the people with a grievance and trying to find some common ground towards a lasting peace is the only thing that will work.

As for British Muslims I think that they should be active in spotting potential terrorists in their midst and warning the authorities before they commit any terrorist act. In return and starting from the government downwards we do need to make it clear that as part of the freedoms we all enjoy in the UK the freedom to be a Musilm is one we all believe in. Well all except the nasty types in the Nation Front etc.

To Ally and McFly - I do understand where your doubt comes from .. but have to say, "yes" I do question the validity of anything that comes out of this government and it's media allies - but there must be people plotting against the foreign policy of this current government and it's "allies" foreign policies! See what went on last Summer in London for example... ! I doubt it stopped at them ... there are always people of like mindedness to fill the shoes of "downed comrades"!

Absolutely agree trout.

My distrust of this government runs to a lot more than "terror" (I hate that term) alerts.

I very much doubt they foiled the plan as they say they did.

In my opinion its just another way of tightning security at airports (no hand luggage OR liquids allowed on flights now) and another way to please The Sun by saying they will stop the "flood" of immigration, since they are so obviously responsible.

It happened like that with 9/11 - pre terror warnings until it was at critical level (its currently at that) and then it sinks down then boom, straight outta nowhere, the channel tunnel will be bombed, thus justifiying (in their eyes) the governments right to completely clamp down on immigration.

McFly wrote

My distrust of this government runs to a lot more than "terror" (I hate that term) alerts.

May we take it that the word "government" means the ministerial team and does not include all the rest of the MPs.

May I also take it that "government" in this context also includes the higher levels of the civil service as well as "spooks" from MI5/6 etc.

Well, I am all over the place emotionally at the moment.

My kids fly from New York to Gatwick tomorrow night to get in Sat morning and then up to Sumburgh.

Half me completely agrees about this alleged "threat" theory and the other half is wondering whether I should tell my kids not to fly while everyone is running around like blue-arsed flies. I am listening to the news and getting more and more wound up.

All I want is them home, safe and sound. The worst bit is that we all know that any suicide plane bomber will be happy to kill himself and others and so will have a go, no matter what security measures happen.

Aaaaagh!

May we take it that the word "government" means the ministerial team and does not include all the rest of the MPs.

May I also take it that "government" in this context also includes the higher levels of the civil service as well as "spooks" from MI5/6 etc.

Yes you may, on both counts.