Airports

As I said above, I agree with trouts assertion that "terrorist"/freedom-fighter organisations are bound to look on Britain as a target, given our involvement in various American led overseas misadventures.

I also have no doubt that some security alerts are real enough. But the reality is that us proles have no way of knowing for sure, and I do believe the government (I use this term to refer to the above mentioned groups JustMe :wink: ) use this unknown fear to force us into complying unquestioningly with increasingly restrictive "security" measures.

However, most of these measures amount to little more than shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. JustMe is absolutely right in saying that we need to tackle these issues at the source.

There are very good reasons why America and Britain are the subjects of these threats and not Ireland or Switzerland.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a weird observation for you. About two days ago one of the main features on the national TV news was a fireman in a tumble-dryer, doing no harm to anyone, whilst running the news story would be more likely to encourage a stunt like this to be repeated - and now, "in the same breath" they are telling us that they have just averted another 911, like, thousand of deaths and destruction, with no tangible proof.

It's all rather hard to find credible at times like this.

This is why i don't watch/listen to the national news any more than i have to.

Here's a weird observation for you. About two days ago one of the main features on the national TV news was a fireman in a tumble-dryer, doing no harm to anyone, whilst running the news story would be more likely to encourage a stunt like this to be repeated - and now, "in the same breath" they are telling us that they have just averted another 911, like, thousand of deaths and destruction, with no tangible proof.

It's all rather hard to find credible at times like this.

This is why i don't watch/listen to the national news any more than i have to.

Certainly news broadcasts can have strange content. One of the most irritating to me is seeing something connected with "Big Brother" getting more coverage than one of the wars we have got mixed up in.

That said I accept that the authorities have foiled something. Has to be so as if it were a publicity stunt we would have had "foreign fighters" arrested in the UK strengthening the call for ID cards.

Frances - don't worry. If there ever was a safe time to fly, this is it. With the limits in hand baggage and extra security, chances are there is much less of a chance of something happening on Saturday than it was for it to happen yesterday.

Yes I will endorse that.........security is going to be so tight that no terrorist is going to try anything.........for a change because the greatest fear of a terror bomber is failure and getting caught.

Don't you think that the timing of this alleged terror plot is just right for turning USA and UK public opinion against the peace process and cease fire in the Lebanon / Israel? Kofi Annan's peace proposals have the backing of the whole UN except the USA, UK and Israel. Public opinion might not be with Blair on this one, but now we've all been distracted by a terror plot.

Don't you think that the timing of this alleged terror plot is just right for turning USA and UK public opinion against the peace process and cease fire in the Lebanon / Israel? Kofi Annan's peace proposals have the backing of the whole UN except the USA, UK and Israel. Public opinion might not be with Blair on this one, but now we've all been distracted by a terror plot.

Surely if 'terrorists' are THAT smart they'd know that everytime a terrorist act happens, Blairs approval rating goes up - Why would they want this?

This just to blindside people from the growing 'problem' in the USA

I first heard about that oil spill about 2 days after the power station was bombed. There have been fairly regular comments and such about on the BBC News site and, I assume, some others.

A bit too cynical in this case I think.

Liquid explosives :!:

What's that stuff called that the flight attendants pour into glasses and hand you :?:

If you're a nutter, you pour it on the seat and light it, instant BBQ of all aboard. So it might be soft drinks only in future :cry:

I would have initially thought that a fire that small wouldn't cause a problem on a plane...however after being told yesterday that an Air India flight was once brought down by a guy lighting a camping stove on board, I see your point.

The fact that they were smuggling the explosives on board in the false bottoms of drinks containers makes me wonder what use allowing mothers with baby food on board as long as they taste the contents is? Seems like a fairly easy way to get explosives on board!

You would also wonder how much vetting is done in the likes of places like weatherspoons pubs are too? See Edinburgh airport for instance .. does the pub on both sides of the divide not attach to the kitchen in the middle? Couple of "terrorist types" on each side of the divide with package slipped through easily enough I "presume"? I would like anyone in the knows opinion on this one .. as I often postulate the security implications of that place everytime I fly from Edinburgh!

In response to Trout's message it is just impossible to maintain a level of security that will mean that hijackers or suicide bombers will never be able to reach their target and carry out their attack. Well I guess there is one way. Ground all flights permanently. What we can do is make our security tight enough that the attackers go someplace else. Something El-Al has been doing for years.

This is where we have to get people to accept that it is right to report any concerns they have about security. The example of the kitchen in Wetherspoons at Edinburgh airport is just the sort of thing where we need the staff to be vigilant and report any suspicions to management, security or the police.

Liquid explosives :!:

What's that stuff called that the flight attendants pour into glasses and hand you :?:

If you're a nutter, you pour it on the seat and light it, instant BBQ of all aboard. So it might be soft drinks only in future :cry:

and you wil be banned from farting too 8O