2014 - My Shetland

i know the story. there won't be a prosecution. for reasons not suitable for a forum. however great thanks to the rescuers and the neighbor that fed them.   these rescues saved those ponies a lot of suffering. truly a sad case. 

on a separate matter many thanks to colin the vet and ellis anderson for the help they offered our stricken pony molly. rachel was so truely grateful for the efforts they both showed. its really sad to lose a pony so again well done the rescues of those ponies. 

i know the story. there won't be a prosecution. for reasons not suitable for a forum.

Then none of it has any suitability on a forum.

What folk post on their own pages elsewhere on the web is their problem, but when the page in question is directly linked to a public forum it amounts to the same as posting it on one.

Peat, I'll beg to differ.

Providing food and shelter to animals that are suffering for want of both, was very generous and admirable, that much I will agree with you. However, I would have expected the SSPCA as an alleged "animal welfare" organisation to have taken care of that themselves, rather than relying on the kindness of strangers, but that's by the by.

Posting pictures and descriptions on the web which clearly identify the location, and the animals involved in context, which by extension identifies the owner of the livestock to numerous random people, I do not consider "good" in any way. "Trial by internet" is never a good idea however you look at, especially when most of those judging here can only see the outcome and possibly who presided over the decline, but not know the background or circumstances.

Its been years since I last visited the location concerned, I don't know nor have I any connection with the owner of the animals, but it took me less than 30 seconds for a name to come to mind after seeing the pics, and a quick Google confirmed that suspicion. I doubt I'm the only one who found I.D ing the owner that easy, this is Shetland most folk know something about everyone else, their name may as well have been published on the strenght of the pics published.

how does the incomers evaluate the way of our climate and the type of animal survival in extreme conditions   did anyone enlist the advice of a vet who can test and evaluate the needs of the animal i dont think so  the ponies have survived in shetland for more year than i can remember they had bales of hay to help them and were obviously looked to before hay was available the clever dropouts will argue till the cows come home but shelties in general do not starve animals

how does the incomers evaluate the way of our climate and the type of animal survival in extreme conditions   did anyone enlist the advice of a vet who can test and evaluate the needs of the animal i dont think so  the ponies have survived in shetland for more year than i can remember they had bales of hay to help them and were obviously looked to before hay was available the clever dropouts will argue till the cows come home but shelties in general do not starve animals

the food was not supplied by the owner. shetlands thrive on the scatlands with open grazing. they do starve if not cared for on fields. 

if the truth be told on posting the public would not have to speculate i could not know that the food supplied was not provided by the owner of the ponies i was brought up in a crofting way of life and animal welfare was paramount to our survival the media disinformation can twist things to suit the agenda of the people posting these comments