Land line issues

Akkeri

From this thread

http://www.shetlink.com/index.php?/topic/7280-internet-problems/page-14

Post Office use Talk Talk - much cheapness .....

You are on the wind up, right.....?!?

I will admit taht I don;t know the financials of the deal, it could be that TalkTalk is more expensive that BT, but the service is better or any number of reaons... PO did not operate their network and still don't so I am guessing that less cost was the attraction to migrate thousands of customers from one network to another?

Any chance of that in English?  Who is providing the better service, BT or Talktalk?

A quick Google reveals:-

http://www.information-age.com/technology/mobile-and-networking/2105193/post-office-drops-bt-as-phone-and-broadband-partner

That is English to me.

TT have their own ADSL equipment in the Lerwick Exchange. They then purchase leased line connectivity to Scottish Mainland. Have they purchaed the expensive auto-backed uo service, or the chepaest available? I can only speculate.

Once the kit was switched on they started to move TT customers from BT network to their own

TT also sell wholesale to a small number of other providers, Such as Post Office.

Any TT users outside of lerwick will still be on BT Wholesale infrastructure, so not cut off, but like everyone else subject to peak congestion.

Are you on Talk Talk?

Yeah, it's a Talk Talk line that's down.  Not interested in the broadband problems, yet (will fry one fish at a time).

Having no land line in 2014 is remarkable.  It's a pretty mature technology - surely it's not that hard to keep the line running?

Are there any other providers that have been affected?

Yeah, it's a Talk Talk line that's down.  Not interested in the broadband problems, yet (will fry one fish at a time).

Having no land line in 2014 is remarkable.  It's a pretty mature technology - surely it's not that hard to keep the line running?

Are there any other providers that have been affected?

From what is on the thread I quoted Talk Talk are the only phone company to have their own equipment in the Lerwick exchange. They lease space on the cable that has been cut but they have no back up available, so they have lost both landlines and internet in Shetland. Talk Talk on exchanges outside Lerwick should not be affected.