People stupidly running in the pitch black on the major roads!

Lit up like a Christmas Tree?

The highways are for everybodies use, if the pedestrian has followed the highway code, then how could it be their fault you did not see the said Christmas Tree?

Car drivers can be a little impatient sometimes, but it is always the pedestrians or cyclists fault for being there.

Yup.

Everyone stop inside. Nice and safe. 

Mustn't upset the car drivers......

As Carlos said: Be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear. Expect to find people/livestock/anything on the road. At ANY time.

If drivers can't carry out this simple task, then they should get the bus.

So when you drive around a shape bend, you don't have to be speeding, and the runner just happens to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.  Who's fault is it then? I run all the time, but I do so when its daylight, so I can see and I know others will see me much better.  

I was the passenger in the car this morning, and it was only till we got quite close we could make out that it was a runner.  You can't always make out in the dark what is coming towards you even with the best headlights, and you don't have to driving like an idiot either. 

I have cycled in London many times, run many a times on the road, it isn't always the drivers fault, and they sometimes get a bad press.  We ARE ALL road users, its about taking responsibility and I'm afraid running on a main road in the dark is not wholly responsible, but that is just my opinion and we are all entitled to that, are we not?

Yup.

Everyone stop inside. Nice and safe. 

Mustn't upset the car drivers......

As Carlos said: Be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear. Expect to find people/livestock/anything on the road. At ANY time.

If drivers can't carry out this simple task, then they should get the bus.

..... what so the bus can hit them instead!  :ponders:

Driver aware! Road users in road. You could see something but you did not know what it was until you got too close.

The trouble I always have is, really it is the pedestrian or cyclist that generally gets killed or injured regardless of fault. It is quite responsibility to be in control of a vehicle. Now that you are aware that there are pedestrians that use the road, best slow down a bit.

Don't want to hijack this thread but, it's not just joggers/runners.

Most Joggers and Runners like most Cyclists can be relied upon to stick to the side of the road.

However, last week I witnessed one of the most stupid near acciedents I have seen in a while.

Without looking behind, a cyclist, heading out towards Gremista stuck out his right arm and immediately pulled across two lanes of traffic as if he had a divine right to do so and then proceeded to wobble along at about 5mph.

It was only the sharp reactions of the bus driver (who was well aware of the idiot) that saved the cyclist from being another statistic.

As a cyclist myself, I was appalled at the man's behavior.  It's little wonder that cyclists get a bad press.

Shetlandpeat, as said previously, it is nothing to do with speeding and they are likely to get killed if they don't take responsibility for there own actions, i.e don't run in poor light!  I have nothing against people running on the road, I TOO RUN on the road, but when its daylight. I WASN'T the driver, and we were doing 50mph, within the limit.  You could be one of the best drivers in the world, accidents and unfortunate incidents can occur, and people running on busy main roads in the dark are just asking for trouble I think!  I'm not a frequent road user, I'm not for or against car users either, i'm a nurse and I just cringe when people who take unnecessary risks like that!

Cars+People=DEATH!

You can't tell me that these people who run in the dark enjoy it much, thinking if there going to be seen in time, or whether there going to get hit! I now you could have the attitude, "well you could get hit by a bus tomorrow'...... well there certainly increasing their chances!

As Colin rightly says, some road users be it cyclists, runners and car users think they have the divine right of the road.  Everyone is entitled to use it as per the Highway Code, I just think theres risks and then theres unnecessary risks!

A definition of speeding is that you are travelling too fast for the road and conditions at that particular time.

Being 'within the speed limit' is meaningless, in fact, using this as some indicator of perceived safe practice would lead me to believe that the person using that statement has no concept of what constitutes hazard perception and/or driving defensively.

If the jogger was well out into the road on a blind bend and running with their back to the traffic flow, then this is definitely stupid, I agree.

However, if the car you were in had come across a sheep in the road or a downed cyclist instead of the wandering jogger, would you have been able to stop safely in time? Who would you blame then? The stupid sheep? The stupid cyclist for having a crash in a bad place?

Maybe a bit of honest self-appraisal would be in order before blanket-blaming others?

Wow,

I think your totally missing the point I'm trying to make.

I give up

Thanks anyway for you input and views

I thought your point was perfectly clear and well made. If we all drove around at a speed to ensure we did not risk hitting someone out running on a main road in the dark in dark clothing, no-one would ever get to work and it would be next morning before we got home for tea.

I sympathise with both the car drivers and the pedestrians. Having lost a friend of the family this new years day down south as he walked home at 8pm (In the dark) I know how hard it can be to s ee  someone who is not wearing bright clothing but also think of the folk who decide to walk home a they have had a dram and rightly decide not to drive home but walk instead. we all have a responsibility to look out for one another

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see in some countries after the white line of the road is tar out onto the hard shoulder. This gives an area for cyclists and runners to use safely. I've seen this even just as additional run-off from the road and not as an official standard but, still as something to use that's not gravel or a grassy verge.

Many roads in Shetland obviously couldn't accommodate this without major rework and probably moving stanks and obtaining further land but, I thought I'd throw it into the discussion..