Weatherspoons staff advertisements ?

B/M/S

Hardly a surprise there. 

Weatherspoons? What they do, they do extremely well.

I don't mind Flints or the Thule for a swift pint, Lounge is good for music. But there isn't what I'd call a good 'pub' to be had in the town really. But my idea of a good pub is probably different to the next persons, and so on.

I used to like the Spiggie a few years ago, and they did some decent beers instead of just Tennants and McEwans pish. St Magnus is a decent spot, but again, no decent beers on draught.

BTW: Let's hope the new owners of the Hilltop make a success of the place. 

It's at the Earl of Zetland pub in Grangemouth.

Driven past it before, its a pretty imposing building as it used to be a church. It was the First Free Church of Scotland to be built, with backing from the Earl of Zetland I think - hence the name which is a nice touch. I had a look on the pub website and they do a lot of real ale/guest beers etc so hats off to Weatherspoon in this case.

Its not the only reference in the area, not sure of the history but there also used to be a Zetland Hotel (changed name to The Grange Manor now) near Grangemouth that was formerly a residence of the Earl of Zetland iirc - stayed there 15 years or so ago for a week and seem to remember reading that in the blurb.

I hope the Legion doesn't close. There's no denying that it's a bit rough around the edges and seems to be stuck in a 1970s time-warp, but it's definitely got character, it's cheap and still a pretty good venue for bands.

The Marlex (or 'Douglas Arms' as nobody calls it) has the nicest looking lounge bar, but seems to be predominantly full of  barge workers these days. Not that I've any objection to that, but it's fine to see a few faces you know when you go in to a place.

The remainder of Lerwick's bars are still pretty rubbish; The Noost is well past it's sell by date. The Thule remains a soulless dive. Flints is a bit better, but still kinda ropey. The Queens is always dead. The back bar at the grand is alright for watching football if it's on, but it's poky and the jukebox hasn't worked in years.  I like the staff in the Lounge and I've a lot of fond memories of the place, but I think it's trading of it's past reputation as a great place for music. I've been there a few times recently and there's been no sessions on the go at all. Perhaps it's the best of a bad bunch, but I personally think it's over-rated.

Obviously the less said about Posers the better...

Edited by Horns 'O' Da Geo