How to prevent pain and ignore illnesses in the NHS

bresail

Yes, this is the case.I had an operation last year amd was in a lot of pain, it was a friday evening.

I demanded to see a doctor after a few nurses, had fobbed me off after offering me various pills.

Eventually a,"junior doctor,", her words not mine, told me that there was no-one she could call at the weekend.

I will admit that I was having difficulty recovering from my knock out jab.

There was of course witnesses too all of the conversations.

Three weeks ago I was called in to the health centre for a follow up check on????

I didn't know why and nor did the doctor.

So I was asked about my medical history.

After a while the doctor said, "You have given me a lot of things, now could you tell me what the worst thing is

and we can deal with that? I told the Doctor that these things were all written in the records on the desk!!

Perhaps the lady who was not allowed to nave a broken leg/ankle, chose to have an injury on the wrong day.

Are these examples of what the "Health Lottery", is?

Maybe GBH is a more sinister acronym!

Edited by bresail

if none clinical staff were to work bank holidays it would cost a fair bit in extra pay. if you want 24/7 clinical care we will either need to pay more or move. just out of intrest are you aware that out scanner is only used part time because we have a contract with aberdeen that prevents us using it full time. not to do with staff manning it.it also classed as obsolete. say we have 3 xray staff members we can only expect them to work a set number of hours. they come in when needed it must have been decided that the womans condition did not warrant calling in staff. a small break in a foot really is not life threatening but very painful as you would expect.  

only solution is to employ more staff. and you know that is not in any plan. they are planning to reduce staff numbers. so expect more of the same. simply put dont injure yourself outwith 9-5 weekdays.  you really need to be worried by the reduction in nursing and related staff and the skillbase those left have. loads of very skilled and talented folks have left in the last few years. its also silly to allow your staff to leave without trying to prevent it. it costs 1000s to recruit off island. but im sure you will be pleased to know the number of real managers has increased each year. ive never understood why an island needs 2 public health consultants. yet we dont have a psychologist on island. before our chair takes on orkney maybe he should pay more attention to the job he is paid to do now.  just remember its not tje doctors/nurses fault if you cant be seen due to poor staffing levels its the boards fault.  

It's strange the article doesn't mention whether her foot actually turned out to be broken or not, only suspected to be broken. As someone who has attended A&E outwith 9 to 5 monday to friday with an actual broken bone I can say that there is xray staff on call and after having my leg examined and determined to need an x-ray who ever was on call came in and x-rayed it and I was duly put in a cast. Surely if her own GP had already examined her and determined it could be broken why didn't he actually refer her to x-ray rather than simply strap it up and send her on her way?

We already do have 24-7 care in shetland, the wards and Aand E is always open and staffed but I agree we could do with more nurses and doctors and less managers in nhs shetland.

"a small break in a foot really is not life threatening but very painful as you would expect."

How would you know that it was a small break ?

However it is not all doom and gloom, here is a titbit of good medical practice.

Last saturday I had to deal with an emergency, a mouth wound that would not stop bleedimg. I 'phoned emergency and was given an appointment within 10 minutes.

So off I went to Scalloway and the 'Vet was waiting for Jock, when I arrived.

20 minutes later Jock and I were on our way home.

I am a bit confused a suspected break is classed as an A&E matter in an other hospital I have broken a bone been xrayed and been pastered up sent home only to be back within 6 hours in agony complications meant damage had been caused to blood supply and this type of injury not picked up on xray told by the surgeon at the scan that I was very lucky so tell me how we cant have treatment on a bank holiday   I still dont understand that bit

im not saying its ok. im saying it what it is. if you want a fully manned hospital 24/7/365 you will need a load more money. re patient from yell im saying they would have been seen by a doctor/ anp nurse and deemed not to need an urgent xray. i dont know if that was correct. re vets visit. you pay a lot more for an out of hours visit. and yes our animal do receive a quicker and sometimes better level of care than we do. we had to stallions gelded a month ago i think i would prefer the human version.   

""husband took a day off work on Monday to drive her to the Gilbert Bain’s A&E department. Mrs Drewery was hoping for an X-ray, and expected to be seen by a doctor.

But when she and her husband arrived, he pushing her in a hospital wheelchair, they were told it was bank holiday and no treatment was available.

Mrs Drewery queried this, and was told by a nurse who said: “We don’t do X-rays on bank holidays”."

That was from the story didnt seem to be seen by anyone

she would have been seen. radiographer are always on-call they don't just tell folks to leave. ive been diverted to the walk in doctor once if i was south i would have been kept in did i mind no why because we cant be the same as a large town hospital. 6 weeks ago my doctor refereed me to a&e with chest pains. the care was excellent and just as fast and thorugh as any where. i was xrayed and received loads of tests. i was admitted to ward 3 and was set to wait over the weekend. i cant cope in strange places so i bullied the doctor to allow me home but to report each day. i took my chances and ignored the best advice. i was lucky. so if your seriously ill or potentially you will be seen and treated and if needed xrayed and scanned. but if its not urgent please dont expect to receive urgent care outside hours. if you want more folks on duty you will need to pay more. its not just a&e those radiographers need to rest. would you want an exhausted person to see you. they will come in cheerfully if needed but not for minor injuries. brian you should know that as trade union rep people just cant be on duty 24/7.  remember you need to be fit for your normal shift afterwards.    

so what routine xrays would it be ok to cancel. by law there must be 8 hours rest between shifts on calls are only done with the staffs goodwill. i really cant comment on the xray department but i bet it will work like community. you work your normal week and upto a few years back you committed to work a number of on calls. for nurses this was stopped a waking shift was employed and the day staffs pay was reduced. the waking shifts fail due to sickness ect. day staff are then expected to cover. if it happens your called out a few times your working 8am to 5pm the next day. you cover the full island. so yes i can understand why a none urgent xray decided by a doctor can wait. it was strapped up. most likely nowt else would be done.