Domestic wiring

Weel done peeriebryan, :thmbsup finally some een brought a sensible answer intae a complete hash o a thread :-), usual thing, simple question, no a very simple answer by maist contributors, i.e. usual sharn. I will noo prepare mesel for da retaliations :-)

Troll much?

Weel done peeriebryan, :thmbsup finally some een brought a sensible answer intae a complete hash o a thread :-), usual thing, simple question, no a very simple answer by maist contributors, i.e. usual sharn. I will noo prepare mesel for da retaliations :-)

Yip and dy contribution to the thread wis a lot o help! At least wis idders offered some advice rather dan jist critisice idders. :-(

Anidder tip, while you're doing the wiring, is to pull in conduit (flexible tubing) to areas where you think you might need to haul extra cables in future, such as behind the TV or a home office. Leave one end where it's easily accesible (usually in the laft) and terminate the internal wall with a blank plate. If, for instance, you wanted to upgrade your normal TV to Sky, or run in ethernet or a phone for a home office, it takes minutes to pull in the cable and change the blank plate to whatever termination you're after.

If you're not sure where your TV or whatever is going to go until you've moved the furniture in, pull conduit into the most likely areas and you can change they layout of the room without worrying about where everything has to be plugged in.

I generally put in at least one conduit run into every room I'm wiring before the plasterboard goes up. It's a 10 minute job and I've saved many hours and thanked myself many times for doing that.

Also, you can never have too many double sockets!

Yup, it is a good idea, seen quite a bit of damage done by mice. I have seen the remains of mice still attached to the cable once they bridge live and some sort of earth. And yes, from memory, there is no limit in the anount of sockets you can have on a ring main over a certain area. Another thing I have done and encourage others to do is to run additional cable(s) from the switched circuits of ceiling lights to the skirting board  in places and install 5A sockets to plug in aditional floor lighting.

One word of warning, keep mains cables, ethernet cables and TeeVee cables seperate, if you are thinking of internet cables, using hardwired networks is far safer and more reliable than wireless. You only need to run a ring, puting a couple of outlets where you think you may need access, the TeeVee area is a good place, there will be a time where Shetland can use internet TeeVee.