Travelling as a passenger on the Hildasay

daveh

I have an appointment to go to in Aberdeen at the beginning of February and, due to one of the passenger ferries being in dry-dock, I am going down on the Hildasay and back again the following night. Thus I am on the Hildasay for two nights in a row.

I am an old git and am using my free ferry vouchers but have booked a cabin on each trip at half-price. I am not the greatest of sea passengers but have had only one bad experience so far on the passenger ferry coming back from Aberdeen. I would guess that the Hildasay is a more bumpier ride so I don't intend to eat much for two days.

Have others here travelled on the Hildasay as a foot passenger? If so, what is it like? I read that it only carries 12 passengers. Is that 12 passengers in 6 twin cabins? I have sole occupancy booked for my cabins rather risk having to puke over a stranger. If there are only 12 passengers, where do the lorry drivers sleep during the trip?

Just wondering...

Edited by daveh

I usually go to hospital appointments in Aberdeen and fly down on the NHS.  That said, I've a trip coming up in March down sarf and compared ferry to air - FlyBe was cheaper, with many flights being around £54.99.

I doubt there will be many lorry drivers as just like on the two main ferries, they tend to send just the trailer and not the rig.

That's reassuring, Brian.

It was the person at Northlink, when I made the booking, who told me to expect a bumpier ride than the passenger ferries.

I have definitely booked a cabin just for myself in each direction. I'm really hoping the sea is a lot calmer for the return trip than it is right now.