Travelers

shaboopy

I'm never keen of trial by hear say and Internet, but if these people are causing bother, the police need to be informed.

I would find it difficult to believe that the council would provide them with a place to park and a skip, considering they have removed skips from us who pay our rates. But mind you nothing this council does surprises me any more.

You may find that the council still has an obligation towards travellers. gypsies and showmen/women. It may not be able not to provide for them, though, given that folk here seem to think that they are possibly a messy bunch, would you rather that they did not put anything to contain their rubbish and waste.

There is a mention here

There is a mention here

The worry though is there does not seem to be a mention here

The worry is that some councils have had their plans sent back because of any assessment towards the accomodation of gypsies, travellers and show/men/women.

Unless of course you want the council to go down the route of discrimination and the courts, it has been known in the past that groups have felt that they have been discriminated against. They have also won.

Be careful how you approach this topic, no matter what you may think, it may be wise not to print. After all it does come under the various Race Relations Acts. A brief explanation with regards to the abuse of  Tyson Fury

And Kavi, just in case you post on here again, racial stereotyping involves categorising a racial group based on knowledge or experience of the actions or behaviour of a few people from that particular racial group.

I do agree that if folk are causing a disturbance, then the authorities should be made aware, however, being a traveller is not a disturbance.

I would think that the Police would have been informed if there was anything to report.

Travellers

Travellers refers to people who are traditionally nomadic, although they may now be living in houses or on permanent sites. The term includes Gypsies, Bargees, Circus People, and New Age Travellers.

Edited by shetlandpeat

Peat, if you expect people to follow the links you choose to post, can you at least post the actual site URL as the link and not something funky chosen by yourself. What you choose to expose your device of internet access to is your business, but I prefer to know exactly what site I'm going to be pulling down the wires before clicking on anything.

Edited by Ghostrider

Peat, if you expect people to follow the links you choose to post, can you at least post the actual site URL as the link and not something funky chosen by yourself. What you choose to expose your device of internet access to is your business, but I prefer to know exactly what site I'm going to be pulling down the wires before clicking on anything.

just humour him , best that can be hoped for

I'm beginning to wonder if the incident in Brae is related to it all......

What a perfect example of pre-judging a minority, accusing them of something with no evidence or reason & then being made to look a moomin when it turns out you couldn't be further from the truth. 

Amazing!

FYI, just today I've seen evidence with my own eyes of their(the travellers) behaviour and it was filthy and was a total lack of respect for Shetland.

Perhaps you shouldn't judge me before knowing me......

Edited by Kavi Ugl

These travelers contribute absolutely nothing to the local community they just TAKE TAKE TAKE from the locals then clear off with the money, how can they even be allowed to live here without atleast paying council tax like the rest of us, We should all be complaining to our local councilors and MSP to have the council or police remove them 

They might be trussit or gricey , God knows ? but if anybody needs to come under the lime light i would have thought it was those smuggling drugs , priorities kinda thing . Theres always been travellers of some description and folk have been mature and robust enough to deal with it , they are just folk trying to get by like us aa

If any travellers or anyone else are coming to Shetland and carrying out work, which they are being paid for, then they should be paying for any services provided, like the rest of us.

That is just sh1te.

I have done work on in Shetland, I have used the services, you gonna send me a bill for those services.

I pay general taxation

I pay towards the NHS

Or is this another generalisation saying that travellers do not pay tax! Shame on you for suggesting that.

Bloody pikey treveln' basitids.

How dare they come up here and force us to leap to conclusions and hold online kangaroo courts based upon the premise of "I heard someone said...".

(Grabs pitchfork and waves it ineffectively at the internet)

Evidence, or shut it, vacuous proles.

Edited by Scorrie