Travelers

shaboopy

The skip is for their general waste, it stops it from being strewn all over. If you did not have rubbish collection, I would understand your point, but, as these folks are so obviously folk who move around, there can be little chance of the council issuing them with a FPN for littering. However, the council will still have to clear up the rubbish, and probably at greater costs.

As for your comments about those who do not pay for services should not use them,

If any travellers or anyone else are coming to Shetland and carrying out work, which they are being paid for, then they should be paying for any services provided, like the rest of us.

If you meant something else, then say it, as it reads, if anyone comes to Shetland, gets paid for a job, they should pay for the services. Like the rest of us.

The inference there is, that these folk you talk about do not contribute like you do and are possibly different.

I find it a little odd for you to be saying such a statement.

To be honest, I have no feelings about this what so ever apart from, as soon as travellers are mentioned, it becomes them and us.

However, as I said, if these folks are causing problems, let the authorities deal with them and the courts make judgement. A bit extreme though, to prevent entry, how will that be done?

I am sure the S.I.C. is aware of what is going on and will be working with other authorities.

Council tax is expected to be paid on official sites for travellers.  There's probably some EU law/human rights thingy adopted in Scottish law stating what services travellers are entitled to be provided with by a local authority; no doubt a certain poster will use their favourite online search engine and perhaps manage a correct quote via it. ;-)

A bit extreme though, to prevent entry, how will that be done?

Back in the first Sullom boom days the local Constabulary were (allegedly) quite adept at "returning to sender" on the next boat out anyone they considered a problem waiting to happen - best ask them what statutes and mechanism they employed.

With the freedom of movement to look for work it may be a difficult one to do now. Especially if you are just stopping those who could claim to be Irish and travellers. It could be done via other methods but could really target individuals.

Many things went on in the 70s some good some bad. I doubt the Police will divulge, you could ask Angus though.

That is just sh1te.

I have done work on in Shetland, I have used the services, you gonna send me a bill for those services.

I pay general taxation

I pay towards the NHS

Or is this another generalisation saying that travellers do not pay tax! Shame on you for suggesting that.

yes but were you staying in your main place of residence

Edited by brian.smith

they have been up round wir hoose in brae today and  am led to believe that the Groundforce lot have a tie in / partnership going wi the local Jewson manager, Stephen laidlaw, as they have his name and number on da back o der new businesss cards,

who knows, maybe even he asked them to come back so they got more sales and work oot o Shetland themselves? bloody sooth mother!!! :evil: :ponders:

at least wi that you hae a local face to go an moan tae when it all goes wrong

care in da community n all that :???:

they have been up round wir hoose in brae today and  am led to believe that the Groundforce lot have a tie in / partnership going wi the local Jewson manager, Stephen laidlaw, as they have his name and number on da back o der new businesss cards,

who knows, maybe even he asked them to come back so they got more sales and work oot o Shetland themselves? bloody sooth mother!!! :evil: :ponders:

at least wi that you hae a local face to go an moan tae when it all goes wrong

care in da community n all that :???:

You've no proof that there is a connection.  It's an old trick to make out a relationship exists when one doesn't.  Have you phoned Jewson's and enquired if they are aware of these business cards?