Globe Butchers to close

paulb

Tesco? Flavour? Where's the link?

The link is the lack of the latter, with meat from the former.

Personally I think Tesco's meat is the greatest thing that has ever arrived in Shetland, you can buy the cheapest meat they've got, and tell yourself its the most expensive cut going, as both taste exactly the same. The slight flaw is, the ability to chew and swallow a mouthful of matter that is unidentifiable by either sight, taste or smell is a talent I'm still struggling to develop to viable levels.

Quite right. Pity that Globe's have gone but lucky that Mainlands are still with us. They sell good meat. Not the pure and utter rubbish that Tesco and the Co-op both pawn out to us poor, unsuspecting punters. 

Are you sure about that George? ;)

Always use Mainlands, or Scalloway if I'm buying outwith Lerwick. Mind you that's not because I didn't like what Globe did, just personal choice. I'm sorry to see the business close, but they obviously had reasons that they don't want to discuss publicly. Their business - their choice.

And don't get me started on supermarket meat......

Tesco? Flavour? Where's the link?

The link is the lack of the latter, with meat from the former.

Personally I think Tesco's meat is the greatest thing that has ever arrived in Shetland, you can buy the cheapest meat they've got, and tell yourself its the most expensive cut going, as both taste exactly the same. The slight flaw is, the ability to chew and swallow a mouthful of matter that is unidentifiable by either sight, taste or smell is a talent I'm still struggling to develop to viable levels.

Quite right. Pity that Globe's have gone but lucky that Mainlands are still with us. They sell good meat. Not the pure and utter rubbish that Tesco and the Co-op both pawn out to us poor, unsuspecting punters. 

Are you sure about that George? ;)

Positive Scorrie, positive. I buy their meat and enjoy it. Nuff said.

I think that the Globe has shown a limelight to the community of Shetland. Their meat produce has the highest of all qualities you want for denner wi tatties and veg and whatever you want..

In your opinion.  Personally, I prefer JK Mainlands.  Perhaps you might want to ask yourself if the Globe Butchers shop was doing so well, then why it isn't being sold as a going concern?

Personal reasons seemingly.

Apologies for the first paragraph in the above post, if there was an option to delete/edit then I would because that could be completely taken the wrong way. What I was trying to put across was I always felt that JK Mainlands and Tesco's meat was not up to the standards of the Globe. Maybe both have improved as I've not bought meat from any of the two for a couple of years. Does Tesco even sell locally produced meat?

Edited by CHUCK NORR1S

Apologies for the first paragraph in the above post, if there was an option to delete/edit then I would because that could be completely taken the wrong way. What I was trying to put across was I always felt that JK Mainlands and Tesco's meat was not up to the standards of the Globe. Maybe both have improved as I've not bought meat from any of the two for a couple of years. Does Tesco even sell locally produced meat?

Actually I had taken that the wrong way but didn't comment as I didn't want to draw unwarranted attention to the post. :shock:

Thanks for clearing that one up, CN.  :cool:

Chuck (DS), in future maybe you should think clearly before you post on social media websites. Comments like yours could have a detrimental effect on people's business. I'm sure that if you have read the terms and conditions of shetlink that you will be aware that you are liable for any loss this business may incur due to your comments. Having taken legal advice on this particular incident this has been confirmed by our solicitor. We source as much local produce as is readily available. Anything beyond this is from the same suppliers as other butcher shops in Shetland not as you insinuated in your comment. We have full traceability to prove this.

Chuck (DS), in future maybe you should think clearly before you post on social media websites. Comments like yours could have a detrimental effect on people's business. I'm sure that if you have read the terms and conditions of shetlink that you will be aware that you are liable for any loss this business may incur due to your comments. Having taken legal advice on this particular incident this has been confirmed by our solicitor. We source as much local produce as is readily available. Anything beyond this is from the same suppliers as other butcher shops in Shetland not as you insinuated in your comment. We have full traceability to prove this.

You are absolutely correct and i apologise wholeheartedly. As i said in my updated post, when i came back on and read what i had written it was completely not what was meant.

Apologies again.

An interesting senario. If I were to complain on here about the service of a service giver, and someone else were not to use that service giver, and they were to find this out, then the service giver could then take me to court for the profit the service giver would have made from the cancelled contract.

If however, in another senario, were it proved that the service giver was sub-standard, when compared to other service givers in the same field of service giving, then the accusation would have foundation by the commentator and would that then indicate that any action by the service giver would be thrown out.

It then could be said that if the service giver was the only one on the islands, there could be no comparison made, would then a claim by the service giver be foregone conclusion.

I would guess then, unless you have evidence to back up a claim made on here, then that may be needed to be produced at the same time or, the sensible thing may be to make a private complaint.

Just a thought.

An interesting senario. If I were to complain on here about the service of a service giver, and someone else were not to use that service giver, and they were to find this out, then the service giver could then take me to court for the profit the service giver would have made from the cancelled contract.

If however, in another senario, were it proved that the service giver was sub-standard, when compared to other service givers in the same field of service giving, then the accusation would have foundation by the commentator and would that then indicate that any action by the service giver would be thrown out.

It then could be said that if the service giver was the only one on the islands, there could be no comparison made, would then a claim by the service giver be foregone conclusion.

I would guess then, unless you have evidence to back up a claim made on here, then that may be needed to be produced at the same time or, the sensible thing may be to make a private complaint.

Just a thought.

Bloomin heck I'm away for a lie down after that

The proof of the pudding or butchers to me is the steak pie. I loved the Globe steak pies (10/10) and was glad to hear the the person who made them may be starting in another butchers soon. In the meantime I tried a Scalloway butchers pie. I would give it a 8/10. Reasonable amount of nice meat and a good pastry topping. The good thing was there was lots of gravy as I always found the Globe ones slightly dry. Taste on the whole not as good as the Globe though maybe thats Rose tinted specs though.

I am away to buy a Mainlands pie.