Wind and Flybe

Frances144

How strong does the wind have to be and in what direction, before Flybe start to cancel flights?

Daughter going to Edinburgh on the 19.40 flight tomorrow.  Forecast Force 9-10 (50mph gusting 70+) South South-East.  Yellow alert from Met Office.

I have to drive for 1 hour 15 minutes to airport and back in the dark.  I don't mind obviously if she is going to travel.  I just object if I get there and then they say the flight is cancelled.

If the police say do not go out unless an emergency, is it wise to drive to airport especially if they cancel the flight?  I will then have another dangerous drive home.

Land Rover (long wheel base) or Yaris? - which is safer in these conditions?  LR is taller than the Yaris but much heavier.

With most tickets if the passenger does not get to the airport it counts as a "no show" so bye bye ticket and fare paid.  Possibly able to get round that if the police do issue a "do not drive" warning.

Not sure that I like the sound of 75 minutes from Thordale to the airport.  Think I would allow a lot longer on a dark, wet and windy night. 

Maybe the best idea is to take a leisurely drive to Lerwick or Scalloway and phone Loganair at Sumburgh to see what is happening.  Planes can land in all sorts of weather and once landed can take off again.  Phone number might be  01950 460345.

Best vehicle???.  Matter of personal taste.  I would take the Land Rover as long as it has a good heater.

We tend to notice if they're using a different runway at Sumburgh cos it means they fly over our blooming roof!

Anyway, a quick google revealed that Saab 340s have a maximum cross wind speed of 35 knots (say Force 8 on Beaufort scale) ... but there's more than one runway so it might not have to take off/land in a cross wind.  Besides, half the time the weather forecast is for Fair Isle and it doesn't always reach the speeds they forecast.

Car choice?  Landrover.

Thanks, chaps.  I will take the LR (yes, good heater once it gets going) and good idea to go half way and phone.

I will also wait until the flight actually leaves Shetland as last child off to uni was on the plane when the wheel twisted when they turned round to take off and ended up stuck for hours in Sumburgh while I was driving happily home totally unaware.

So complicated.

Thanks for phone number.  I will make a note of that.

Edited by Frances144

Well it depends a lot on the wind direction---or the runway alignment if you prefer.  But I have seen a plane flying backwards!........only showing off and it was not a passenger plane.  Just needed the right sort of wind.  But you can be certain that Loganair pilots will not take silly risks.

BBC Radio Shetland do tend to tell us if the police have issued a "no drive" warning so be sure to listen.  Like stop somewhere with a good signal if needed.

Getting scared now - upgraded to Storm

Will they fly in a storm?

If possible and a bad storm, they fly around it.  I've landed at KL, Malaysia, in a thunder storm; the turbulence was excellent!

Edited by unlinkedstudent

Well the Sandness weather station has recorded a gust over 63 mph while the Toft and Unst stations have stopped supplying readings.  And my local forecast is for 75mph gusts so I guess I am going to experience a hurricane about 9pm.

But the flight Frances 144 is heading for is showing as cancelled as is the late flight to Aberdeen.

Ah.  Could be as there is no longer daylight and they don't like the take-off (or landing) when using that particular runway as there is no instrument landing for it in the dark.  Might be CAA or whatever they called Regulations.

Edited by unlinkedstudent