roughly 2.5% are sick/disabled

unemployed 0.25-0.50%

those are really good figures 

110 unemployed upto 6 months

20 unemployed upto  12 months

20                     upto   2 years

10 over 2 years

population is 23500 at the moment

There is no reason for anyone to be out of work in Shetland for two weeks let alone over two years at the present time.  Those that are simply cant be bothered to get off their backsides and take a job as the benefit system is too good.

upto 6 months would include those could be just a week or 2.

the 20 folks who knows  what issues they have. 0.1% of the population is as close to full as you can get . the uk figures on long term unemployment is 72x higher. there is no such thing as full employment. 

UKIP'S previous tax plans

Which were to abolish National Insurance , first £ 20,000 tax free and a flat rate of tax at 33 % there after.

A massive simplification of tax collection would make collection easier and less likely for avoidance to occur.

No problem with people choosing long term unemployment, but why should they be paid for it ?

Are there 110 jobs mot filled in Shetland?

Or you could say 'are there 110 jobs not filled in Shetland that the unemployed are qualified (or have the skills) to take'?

Let's say there's an average of 10 jobs per week in the ST, most will require certain skills as a pre requisite. Skills that, probably. the unemployed do not have.

However, there always seems to be a couple of jobs coming up every week for unskilled workers. I know of two firms in Northern Mainland that advertise for staff fairly regularly and who struggle to get staff - even though they offer training, 40 hrs paid week and above minimum wage. The 'Petrofac syndrome' cannot be blamed completely for their inability to fill positions quickly and both are pretty decent firms to work with.

Yet there are still unemployed people around North Mainland. Or should that be 'unemployable'?

probably the later. so training and support should be offered. i guess the costs of this would easily cost more than the dole for those 10 folks. i also imagine that they would likely have complex issues. now if we were to look at the number of none workers in the adult working age  group. is roughly 25|% of the population. so there are lots of folks being under used at the moment. 

If folk go for interviews, and do not get the job, and this continues, through no fault of the job seeker, it really is not their fault. However, there are more opportunities south. You have to keep in mind as well that some of these folk may have been thrown of disability allowances/benefits, they will have specific needs that employers may not want the cost to cater for. You have to think about those who you are sacking from the council, tax payers paid for them to develop their skills, they may be snapping up the jobs.

It is not as simple as there are jobs so there cannot be any unemployed. I am sure you have kept up with the JSA and the criteria, you cannot just claim it for years, there are hoops to jump through. You will also, every year have an influx of young folk, they all need jobs if they are not studying.

If folk go for interviews, and do not get the job, and this continues, through no fault of the job seeker, it really is not their fault.

That's only a half truth. If folk go for interviews for every possible job available and still don't get one, either they're unemployable through no fault of their own, or, they make a point of portraying themselves as unemployable at interviews, in which case it most certainly is their fault.

Likewise, if folk persist in applying for positions that are only in the upper ends of their abilities, they're certainly somewhat at fault if they never get any of them. Lets face it, its an extremely rare occasion that someone somewhere isn't recruiting shelf stackers, floor sweepers, fish workers etc, and while I accept accepting such jobs where they usually are isn't really a realistic option for anyone living on any of the off isles of Shetland, the vast majority of those living on the mainland have no such excuse, nor do they have any real reason that I can see for not taking something like that rather than sitting on the dole hoping for something better.

It is a fact that a  Lerwick Fish factory  went to the length of buying property, so as to be able to ensure their seasonal workers from overseas accommodation at a reasonable rate so that they would come back for the next season.

Also  several local fishing vessel's employ crew from a variety of 3rd world countries and eastern Europe.

Not being able to find reliable local's is one reason for this, 

This is going on while able bodied locals claim unemployment benefit.

Drink & drug addiction is a big factor in those regularily unemployed  but also  laziness and just unwilling to work in a fish factory as they don't like it or cant hack it.

It's probably more or less  the same the world over.......

Small communities always suffer with drink and drug addictions, it is sad, but a fact. There are many factors. However, generally, if you are registered as an addict, you move away from JSA. The issue now than, if these folks are so much of a bain to folks lives, change the situations that causes them to turn to other methods of time consumption.

Alcohol is the far worse, it cost society vast sums in people waste and looking after to cash and services. We tend to concentrate on the drug side purely due to legalities and for some, a distraction from their own issues. The legalities therefore make alcohol addiction far worse as it can be so easily hidden. Alcoholics will go to great lengths to hide their addiction, but do not have to skulk around to obtain their drug and mix with folk they never know, it can, in a way appear more sociably acceptable.

The flip side, about lazyness is a possibility that this "hardcore" of job seekers may be better to stay on the benefit system, I have seen and heard of many who have been forced to go to work that have cost companies dearly. I know of one who single handedly almost closed down a thriving business due to his acts. I know of several who, due to their lazyness have caused physical harm to fellow workers through their omissions, thrusting someone who works into a similar situation of unemployment and the subjection of scorn from the media, public and employers. It could be better for society and the business world that the masses keep them away from companies.

The singling out of those who claim benefits by the ruling parties has also been an issue. As mentiond above, those on benefits are deemed to be low in society and subject to ridicule. I would guess that this has not helped when even a future employer thinks this, I have met a few who do.

Today I heard about a 20 something lass who has been a "jobseeker" for at leat 5 years.  Now she is not in any way unable to work but is still living on what was once called the dole while she scrounges extras from her grandparents and of course is setting a bad example for her siblings.

This gets a bit stranger because through no fault of his own (his employer went bust) her Dad was also out of work for a while but after a few months (since got a good job) but during those few months he was called in for interview after interview while his daughter just carried on getting benefit.  Leaves me wondering if Job Centre Plus or whatever they are called at the moment and hassle males more than females or if they sort of give up after a few years and let people stay on the dole for ever.

So do not go thinking about who these people are as this is not a Shetland issue but something way down south.

The system will never be perfect while folk can think. Whatever shackles are put onto people, they work out how to make the best of it, be it right or wrong. The human bean is after all a mammal built to survive in all climes. What we are making the difference is on our own values. You may find that "she" may work quite hard with "her" persona. However, without knowing the "finer" details we can only guess, however, the first think thought of is the worst.

Small communities, self contained as Shetland is in ways will as well soon identify those they want and do net want as employees, word I guess soon gets round, after all, the local paper is quick to publish every detail af a person who has been accused of, or has made some mistake, I would bet that some do try but are tarnished with a past they have worked away from.

^ Would stand up Peat, unless for the fact that there's no end of evidence in those self same court reports in the local media, that regardless how bad a record someone has those who really want a job, any job (even they only want it as a last chance saloon to keeping out of the jug) seem able to secure one. Granted, whether they manage to keep it is a whole other matter, but it at least proves a job is out there and within the grasp of anyone that really goes for it.