UKIP

Colin

, sadly, the GOV are under the impresion that if you have a pulse, you can work unless you can prove otherwise.

And what's wrong with that? The vast majority of people with a pulse are capable of working, so having that as a default setting seems quite reasonable.

Would you rather the opposite was the  default setting whereby no-one was thought capable of working unless they proved they could? As that sounds about as workable and fair as presuming everybody is guilty of breaking every statute on the books unless they can prove otherwise.

• 3 weeks later...

What state has Barroso left Europe in?

An interesting article in the Telegraph - www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe

Greece ? Ireland ? Spain ? ETC   youth unemployment ? destruction of fish stock by dumping ( ongoing for the last 30 years)

EU accounts never signed off.  , Unelected commissioners over ruling national democracy

The Brussel's gravy train..........

The criminal travesty of the CAP & CFP ( watch the documentary " we feed the world" by Erwin Wagonhofer) which is ultimately responsible for the destruction of small scale farms and fisheries around Africa and the huge economic migration of many Africans North.

Oh and lets not forget Ukraine, the EU commission's ONGOING project of expansion and  destruction of national sovereignty  is responsible for that civil war  and near war with Russia!

You tube clips of Nigel Farage  holding Barroso & Co to account  for their undemocratic schemes is worth watching.

Vote UKIP . .

EU demand another 1.7 billion,  perhaps they running out of gold plated lobster for Barosso's retirement supper.

Last night on QT it was mentioned about  the NHS needing 2 billion to keep financial crisis at bay.......? !

F.O.A's !!

That, imho, is one of the reasons that we should NOT be in the EU.

Bad enough having our own politicians "raiding the kitty" without having to put up with everyone else's doing it as well...

EU demand another 1.7 billion,  perhaps they running out of gold plated lobster for Barosso's retirement supper.

Last night on QT it was mentioned about  the NHS needing 2 billion to keep financial crisis at bay.......? !

F.O.A's !!

That, imho, is one of the reasons that we should NOT be in the EU.

Bad enough having our own politicians "raiding the kitty" without having to put up with everyone else's doing it as well...

And our own thieves and vagabonds, sorry I meant politicians, are particularly good at "raiding the kitty", aren't they!!!

I wonder if something like this would help encourage those out of work to get some work, as it could help avoid the benefit trap where working can leave you worse off finanically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_income_tax

On the issue of minimumn wage I read recently that a large drop in unemployment figures was due to a lot of people becoming self employed as a way to pay themselves less than the minimumn wage and have a job, rather than no job at all.

"......

On the issue of minimum wage I read recently that a large drop in unemployment figures was due to a lot of people becoming self employed as a way to pay themselves less than the minimum wage and have a job, rather than no job at all."

I'm baffled as to how this would work, Nigel.

Did the article you read elaborate?

> Did the article you read elaborate?

Not that I recall no.

Related link provides some information, in particular in the comments section:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/may/06/self-employment-uk-job-figures-analysis

I imagine the way it works is

> The average income of the self-employed on less than £100,000 a year has fallen from
> £15K to just over £10K between 2000 and 2011.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2013/12/03/the-fast-disappearing-income-of-the-uks-self-employed/

So, if a sole trader is earning £10,000 a year and working lets say, 100 hours a week, that is around £2 an hour ?

At least being self employed your future is something you have more control over, so it might get better, or it might get worse..

Considering work that used to pay above minimumn wage a few years ago can be outsourced to China for less than 10 Pence an hour, I see a constant pulling down of incomes, and the offical minimumn wage helps those with jobs, at the expense of those without.

One way around the barrier is to become self employed and then you can pay yourself peanuts. :-)

Now, something like Negative Income Tax, or as its fondly started to be known today as Basic Income, might help address this issue with less cost, less paperwork, and enable those willing to work for peanuts, to do so, without making it more difficult for people to crawl up the ladder than it is already.

Often the more regulations try to help, the more they hinder things that would have been benefiical if left alone.

I'm reminded of a friend of mine in China, on a very low paid job, but he has a job, a house, a car, and money in his pocket, whilst we in this country are sending our work to his country because our regulations make it difficult for people here to benefit from working quite so easily.

It would be nice to see a pilot study done in the UK to see how effective something like Negative Income tax could be..

OK. That's what I thought you meant, Nigel.

Yes, the minimum hourly rate can easily go out of the window when you are self-employed - but that's one of the joys of controlling your own future when you first set up. :)

And if you're still working for SpH (Sodall per Hour) after a couple of years then, really, it is time for some brutal self-assessment as to how financially successful your business really is....

Having worked for 10p over the minimum wage for a local transportation company for a few years, I have no sympathy for so-called squeezed employers.

To get the kind of graft i was doing for any less is insulting to a working man. Were I paid much less I'd have been better off on the dole like the recipients of the plasma TV screens i had to deliver! My wage just about paid my rent in my modest accommodation and put food on the table. Why so many of you are keen to demonise the working class is beyond me. They are the people who serve your food, who wait at your tables, who deliver your parcels, who look after you when your family can't.

The fact that some would prefer to to stick the boot by suggesting that fully grown adults  should get lower than the minimum wage, whilst simultaneously espousing the virtues of Etonian Bankers and their UKIP pals who have royally screwed over the whole country, defies belief. 

Edited by Horns 'O' Da Geo

.....the people who serve your food, who wait at your tables, who deliver your parcels,....

I'm all for the "a fair day's pay for a fair day's work" philosophy, but it has to be paid for from somewhere. When the "fair day's pay" makes the product/service as expensive that folk stop purchasing it, you have a problem.

Folk shouldn't feel compelled to take a job that pays peanuts and works them in to the ground, but if someone should choose to take such a job rather than have no job at all, its hard to support legislation that prevents such a job existing for them to take.

• 4 weeks later...

Never mind. After the next UK election Alec Salmond will be there to save us.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-30036168

The outgoing Scottish first minister has said he is not ruling out the SNP joining a coalition at Westminster in the event of a hung parliament after next year's general election.