Distracting internet website ads

CrunchieSquirrel

What really winds me up are these adverts that say "here's a tip on weight loss" and "cheaper life insurance if you are too old to remember what you had for lunch" etc. I like decent ads that might show a new game show on TV or a retail shop sale. Weight loss ads make me feel fat and the life insurance ads make me too young. I never ever hover the cursor over things like that: it gives me that tingling "don't touch that" feeling.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Don't get me started!!! Radio, TV and computers are wonderful inventions, but they've turned them into monsters. Advertising is one thing; being bombarded with the same nonsense day in and day out forever and ever is brainwashing. I refuse to have a TV in the house because of it. I'm sure as heck not going to pay for it with a TV licence.

As with most privately run websites, advertising revenue is the income stream that allows us to provide Shetlink as a principally free service to users. No advertising revenue = no way to pay for server space, bandwidth, software licenses or development costs = no Shetlink. Simple as.

Please bear that in mind when using, or advocating the use of, ad blockers.

As with most privately run websites, advertising revenue is the income stream that allows us to provide Shetlink as a principally free service to users. No advertising revenue = no way to pay for server space, bandwidth, software licenses or development costs = no Shetlink. Simple as.

Please bear that in mind when using, or advocating the use of, ad blockers.

As a previous business owner, I had zero success trying to give you lot money in return for advertising you just weren't interested, has there been a change at the top? A coup d'état?

Edited by shetlandcars

Don't get me started!!! Radio, TV and computers are wonderful inventions, but they've turned them into monsters. Advertising is one thing; being bombarded with the same nonsense day in and day out forever and ever is brainwashing. I refuse to have a TV in the house because of it. I'm sure as heck not going to pay for it with a TV licence.

Quite agree, all the T.V does is inflict advert after advert upon you, with the occasional break for the weather forecast.

Google Chrome with ad block (all free) I never see any ads

I use AdBlock Plus and it keeps all the rubbish at bay. Without it I'd throw the computers out and buy a deck of cards to play patience with.

Can admin clarify if they get paid for just allowing Google to show these adverts or only when someone actually clicks on one.

I suspect that in the vast majority of cases, they only get paid if someone clicks on them..

Despite what everyone thinks, the internet is not free as someone, somewhere has to pay for it all.

However the "standard business model" of tracking us all around the 'net then bombarding us with targeted(?) advertising is wearisome at best and, a gross intrusion on our privacy at worst.