Currency Union?

Who Knows

The chancellor has announced he is "unable to recommend" a currency union based upon the advise given by his senior civil servant in a 78 page document.

I didn't bother reading the '78 page document' (life is to short) in the link but his position is hardly surprising as he is opposed to the break up anyway.

"The Scottish Government position is still for a shared £ currency zone between Scotland and the remainder of the UK (rUK) as laid out in their white paper Scotland's Future."

This, in my opinion, is Salmond's biggest mistake(so far).  He is either going for independence or, he is not.  Currency Union suggests (to me anyway) that he wants to 'cherry pick' his options and that he lacks the confidence to go the whole way.  It also implies that he is not certain of getting the level of support required to achieve his aims.

Currency Union also means (to me) that it would still be Westminster that makes all the major rules as, after all, it would be 'their' currency we would be attached to.

Furthermore, if there was Currency Union, then there would have to be some other kind of 'union' covering Tax Rates etc. and, sooner or later, they might be tempted to use it to make Scotland look very 'unattractive'.  I suspect that we would not be allowed to do the same to them.

We are being sold the same type of lies that took us into the Common Market and, just look what that has become.

That is not independence.

"Business Scotland a pro Yes independent business group"

They have made a case for currency union that suits themselves but,

• Maintaining business to business trading relationships
  • Preventing transaction costs
  • Maintaining fluidity of cross border export trades
  • Allowing for a fair asset/liability division
  • Securing the strength of Sterling through Scotland’s contribution to rUK’s balance of payments

This looks a little confused.  They are claiming to be pro-independence but, the above 5 points suggest that they do not want it.

"Both believe that the position announced by the UK Government and supported by the official opposition is just bluster and the opening gambit to the negotiation position"

Of course it's just bluster.  It's politicians talking to politicians.  It's about time they started talking to the people who put them there.  Like I said earlier, it's the same pack of lies and mis-information that took us into the Common Market.

"However a real independent take on the legal issues involving the currency union, benefits and negotiating stances has been under taken by Christine Bell of Edinburgh University can be read at"

http://www.futureuka...ns-legal-issues

Pretty neat analysis.

"Scotland to remain using the £ sterling outside a formal currency zone."

Actually, this is a reasonable option.  The main downside though is, if the pund 'bombs' on the currency markets then we would suffer as well.  £ Sterling has already been de-valued twice in living memory and, like a lot of others, I can still remember Harold Wilson's "pound in your pocket" lies.  More recently Norrie Lamonts exit from the ERM comes to mind.

Has anybody considered 2 currencies?  Our own Wee Bawbee :thmbsup  and the £.

That way, if the £ bombs, we could still buy a haggis or two.

I read what the Deutsch Bank thinks of it and tend to ,broadly, agree but, I still think that we should also have our own (linked) currency.

Didn't read the 'blog' because I HATE blogs. :twisted:

At the moment, we are shooting our unlicenced air weapons without any real targets.

If I had a gun, I would have no problem finding a target..... :twisted:

Alas, you missed the pun, never mind...

There is much hot air being projected about by waffle that is only surmising that things will be a certain way. The test though is of course the vote, that is the first step.

I will not be taking Daves advice and hassle all my Scottish relatives on this subject, after all, it is their choice to make, not mine.

I would think the pound will follow, but I would also assume that having the "Thistle" as currency will suit the present Gov as it would make imports cheaper as the "Thistle" will fluctuate. More likely drop. The SGov at the time of working this out would have to add some sort of levy to stop that from happening.

There is much hot air being projected about by waffle that is only surmising that things will be a certain way. The test though is of course the vote, that is the first step.

No that is the problem. The first step should not be the vote, it should be the provision of accurate and honest information, to allow voters to make an informed discussion. Anyone voting prior to knowing what they are actually voting for are heading for a fall.

It's clear that the only ones saying we can keep the pound are the SNP everyone else is suggesting differently.

You will never get that though, so while you either hold out for some independent study paid for by? it will be difficult to educate the masses, what you also have to do is make it palatable and in a format that all can understand, you will be surprised by the numbers of folk who may find understanding this, or even able to then use that knowledge to over ride what they have already been told.

So, the reality is, hold out for your ideal scenario or push the issue so there has to be concise and proper studies done which by their very nature will take years as the hype of the situation will have to be teased out from the real truths. The push will only be done by a yes vote.

You will not get it any other way, 7 months to go now.

You will never get that though, so while you either hold out for some independent study paid for by? it will be difficult to educate the masses, what you also have to do is make it palatable and in a format that all can understand, you will be surprised by the numbers of folk who may find understanding this, or even able to then use that knowledge to over ride what they have already been told.

So, the reality is, hold out for your ideal scenario or push the issue so there has to be concise and proper studies done which by their very nature will take years as the hype of the situation will have to be teased out from the real truths. The push will only be done by a yes vote.

You will not get it any other way, 7 months to go now.

Or of course a no vote.

Even all us thickos would be able to make reasoned judgement if politicians were to be honest for a change.

Edited by owre-weel

Oh, one more thing, how long has the SNP spoken about independance, folk seem to acting as if it was just mentioned yesterday. I would guess you have had the info around for several years.

A typical politicians reply.

Even you know that the details about the effects are only just becoming public and unfortunately they are still so muddy and contradictory.

If politicians were to tell the truth occasionally, people would be able to make a balanced judgement. E

The truth is no body will ever know as pertinate facts are kept back, also, if there is a Yes vote, there will the momentum in place to get better facts, we are all politicians dear weel, as you well know it, then the sad attempt to dismiss a comment you do not want to hear by claiming such as you did is exactly the actions you are accusing others of enacting.

Who will pay for this extensive independant idiot proof fully understandable report you seem to need in order to make a qualified choice?

Many a time we see your toys scattered around the pram, this is an open debate, if you want to stifle it then cary on.

So far, all I have heard reports from are those who have an interest, one way or another. As yet, there is no other view that is acceptable, it seems.

I asked the question, obviously for an opinion on that question.

The truth is no body will ever know as pertinate facts are kept back, also, if there is a Yes vote, there will the momentum in place to get better facts, we are all politicians dear weel, as you well know it, then the sad attempt to dismiss a comment you do not want to hear by claiming such as you did is exactly the actions you are accusing others of enacting.

Who will pay for this extensive independant idiot proof fully understandable report you seem to need in order to make a qualified choice?

Many a time we see your toys scattered around the pram, this is an open debate, if you want to stifle it then cary on.

So far, all I have heard reports from are those who have an interest, one way or another. As yet, there is no other view that is acceptable, it seems.

I asked the question, obviously for an opinion on that question.

Pete as usual you try to put words in people's mouths, I have never asked for an extensive, idiot proof report. So try sticking to the script.

It seem that if someone doesn't agree with your view then you bore them to death with you add ons and make believe, putting words into their mouths and to be honest put people off taking part.

But you won't put me off and just to make myself clear, I will not respond or answer any further comments you make regarding any forums where I am concerned. Of course Pete that will allow you to get the last word, something you seem desperate to do.

Please get a life :-(

I am happy for opinions to be aired, if you are going straight for the personality rather than the comment, then it will be met with similar retort. The idea about debate is to air ones views for others to evaluate and allow them to air theirs, this is something I have not stopped you doing, hense you only responce is to attack the person.

Sadly it seems you are put off from the debate if I am around, that is a shame, you do come across as articulate and with education.

Firstly, you accuse me of being something.

A typical politicians reply.

Then you add a personal insult.

If politicians were to tell the truth occasionally

accusing me of being a liar and a habitual one at that.

This is something I am not, I do find this sort of personal insult crass, especially as you obviously know little about me that you can disclose here, as you know, revealing personal data of another on here is frowned upon.

If you drop the personal insults, or attempts at a personal insult, I would be happy to debate. If you do not like what I have to say, ignore it or return with your reasons. As you are aware, we do not have to prove what we think, though some expect that.

I did not say you asked for an idiot proof report, if you read what I posted, then you will see that I mention the report has to be understandable to all, there fore, idiot proof. Of course you need an extensive report which covers all the risks and senarios, unless of course you want to based the whole thing on the ability to own an air rifle. I was the one who suggested the extensive report, if you look back,

Edited by shetlandpeat

I see that the yes campaign group are meeting at the Hamnavoe hall on Thursday night. Hopefully this will help explain their thinking on some of the issues currently being batted around in the media. It would be interesting if they would do a show of hands at the beginning yes,no and don't know, then do another at the end.

I'm assuming us no (at the moment) voters will be as welcome as the yes (at the moment) voters?

I'll start straight away by saying I believe strongly in the United Kingdom. My feelings on the whole independence issue are very straight forward.

1) Stay part of the UK with everything it has to offer to all member nations. Things stay as they are now.

2) Become your own country, and stand completely on your own- full stop. You loose every right to anything from the United Kingdom. That's called independence. Any other way is reliance! 

Why should Welsh, Northern Irish and the English work and pay taxes to keep a country they have no say in. If you have enough money to support yourselves (As I keep being told, what with oil money and such) then you shouldn't be worried. 

I heard the argument from Alex Salmond that this is Whitehall Bluff, O.K. tell me what's fact in the event of a Yes vote. Will non Scottish nationals need work visa's to be in Scotland? Will Scotts in the UK and Europe have to have Visa's? Who will be responsible for health and welfare? Who will issue my driving licence and passport? Who and how will we be defended by threat's both internal and foreign? What will we be spending in the shops and what will it's value be set at? The list goes on and on. Don't forget the EU stated, last year that as a new country e.g. Scotland they would have to be independent for 2 years before being able to apply to join the EU (That's if membership is agreed by the other nations (which I think it would be)) Two years is a long time if you are cold and hungry.

So Salmond stop your party's  tirade and tell us voters what will definitely happen to us for a Yes vote, not what you made up on the back of a beer mat in the pub.

One last thing don't forget that James VI and 1st brought Scotland into the Union because Scotland was bankrupt at the time, do you really want to suffer the possible humiliation of asking you old neighbor to let you back in if it all goes wrong? In the event of a Yes vote I shall move to Wales I won't put my family through the uncertainty of what the future holds when just months before the vote we still don't have the answers to ANY questions on how an independent Scotland WILL work!!!

"Why should Welsh, Northern Irish and the English work and pay taxes to keep a country they have no say in. If you have enough money to support yourselves (As I keep being told, what with oil money and such) then you shouldn't be worried."

If, however, the contrary proves to be the case and Scotland does indeed rely heavily on handouts, then the UK government should seize the opportunity to have them ousted from the union and join the "YES" campaign forthwith.

I'll start straight away by saying I believe strongly in the United Kingdom. My feelings on the whole independence issue are very straight forward.

1) Stay part of the UK with everything it has to offer to all member nations. Things stay as they are now.

2) Become your own country, and stand completely on your own- full stop. You loose every right to anything from the United Kingdom. That's called independence. Any other way is reliance! 

Agreed.

The big issue, with the clock running down, is that all parties are playing politics and that there is no real information being given to the electorate.

If politicians do not start 'engaging' soon then, I will definately vote NO (mainly because there is no way that I want to go back to Wales :razz: ).

Will non Scottish nationals need work visa's to be in Scotland?

I would think that, with the number already here, there would either have to be some kind of 'open border' agreement or, a massive 'purge' and, I suspect that a minority of the 'wee dingalings' would favour the latter.  Scottish Jobs for Scottish People etc..

Will Scotts in the UK and Europe have to have Visa's?

Who knows.  It would be, largely, out of our hands but, open to negotiation.

Who will be responsible for health and welfare?

Who else but the 1000,s of extra beurocrats etc. that Salmond hasn't told us about yet.

Who will issue my driving licence and passport?

See my previous comment... 

As an aside, I cannot see any reason why a properly approved driving instructor could not issue a full licence.  Who is better qualified than them to judge your abilities?  Driving Lessons = (very) Extended Test...

Who and how will we be defended by threat's

Who cares?  One sniff of autonomy, and you want an army, navy, air force.  That's the way to spend vast amounts of money uselessly.

What will we be spending in the shops and what will it's value be set at?

The BIG question.  What we will be spending in the shops is, largely irrelevent but, what is important is it's buying power.  The buying power of any new currency would be set, pretty much, by outside interests and THAT is why Salmond wants to keep the £.  (Take a look at the (short) history of the Euro)

Yes, the list is endles which is why I said earlier that any discussion on independence should take years not months.

As for EU Membership.  I happen to think that if Scotland is in the fortunate position of having to re-apply for it then, we should NOT apply for it.  Staying out would, at least, allow us some kind of control over what is left of our 'assets'.

Now, what I really want is for someone to take the lead and propose that "if Scotland votes Yes then Shetland should immediately apply for Crown Dependency status"  Not only would that set the cat amongst the pigeons but, I suspect that Westminster would grab it with both hands (unless, of course, thay have already engaged in some kind of sell-out).

I also seem to (vaguely) remember the late Jo Grimmond extracting a ruling from Westminster that, If Scotland became independent then, Shetland & Orkney would remain with Westminster.  Anybody want to enlighten me?