Currency Union?

Who Knows

The fact is we can use any currency we want it's just a means of exchange and we have to change it into the currency of whatever country we are barganing with anyway.  We already produce 3 different types of notes our selves so it makes sense to stay with that and just produce tokens eh I mean coins along with them lol as far as EU membership if we're out then Great we can get our fishing sorted they have nearly destroyed our rights.  We are already in tho really, they will have to throw us out then decide if we are coming back in again, as they have so many ties into us already and we already are implementing so many of their rules ... Some good some horrendous

There is no guarantee though that those companies outwith Scotland will want to trade with Scottish companies if the exchange rate with the new currency proves to be uneconomical.  Plus, those self-employed or working from home under PAYE (for example, Argos currently employ homeworkers on PAYE for their customer service centre as do some insurance companies) face uncertainty.  Their clients or employer probably won't want to pay people in a different currency or have the administrative hassle of employing people outside of England if they don't have a base in Scotland and there's no guarantee that they would want to set up a base in Scotland.  Even if they did continue to employ homeworkers or people continued to be self-employed, who is going to pick up the tab for the currency conversion:  the employee/self-employed bod or the employer/client?  If Argos currently pay say £8.25 an hour plus incentives to PAYE homeworkers and a new currency comes in which is unfavourable, the worker might end up earning the equivalent to say £7.00 [insert other figure here] an hour.

Then there's tax and national insurance (if they continue with the current NI scheme); I dread to think what rates they will be.

I'm voting no.

You can be paid in Euros if you work in the UK as well as pounds, it has been going on for years. There are already mechanisms in place to convert the currency if you wish.

Some companies will pay the exchange rate, especially as many are international.

And as per usual, SP, you miss the point.  Sighs

Not really, your description takes international trade back decades. Folk work in different places all over the world and not in the country the company is based in. The point is you claimed that folk will not want the hassle etc., yet this hassle goes on already. I would guess it is you perhaps and not all. There are already problems with retailers here in the South and accepting money that is so obviously not English.

I did not think the Unionist Party stretched to Scotland, alas, perhaps I am wrong.

If the split happens, folk will have to decide if the pound is not adopted, personally, I think it will be, it will not be removed because the rest of the UK need the input from Scotland, they too would have to pay the exchange rates.

I do worry about the oil bit though, Scotland would have to borrow a bit to start a similar fund as Norway has, unlike the UK at present, it needs to keep as much of the oil revenue as possible. This will keep inflation down.

As these jobs you fear for, by their very nature are mobile, or they are transient, there will be the option to move to an area that could offer better economic outlooks. If there is a yes vote.

The higher taxes that Norway has may also save some of the country too if it splits, though, it would too need to be invested in future gains. There is a worry now that the UK GOV have under invested in NSO and it has reached Peak.

Oh, any country would not want to trade with another if costs are too high, there is no suggestion that they will.

Reading posts on other forum, there are more in favour of a split than not, which is interesting. There is at the same time, a similar number in favour of the Scottish Pound.

Edited by shetlandpeat

Not really, your description takes international trade back decades. Folk work in different places all over the world and not in the country the company is based in. The point is you claimed that folk will not want the hassle etc., yet this hassle goes on already. I would guess it is you perhaps and not all. There are already problems with retailers here in the South and accepting money that is so obviously not English.

I did not think the Unionist Party stretched to Scotland, alas, perhaps I am wrong.

If the split happens, folk will have to decide if the pound is not adopted, personally, I think it will be, it will not be removed because the rest of the UK need the input from Scotland, they too would have to pay the exchange rates.

I do worry about the oil bit though, Scotland would have to borrow a bit to start a similar fund as Norway has, unlike the UK at present, it needs to keep as much of the oil revenue as possible. This will keep inflation down.

As these jobs you fear for, by their very nature are mobile, or they are transient, there will be the option to move to an area that could offer better economic outlooks. If there is a yes vote.

The higher taxes that Norway has may also save some of the country too if it splits, though, it would too need to be invested in future gains. There is a worry now that the UK GOV have under invested in NSO and it has reached Peak.

Oh, any country would not want to trade with another if costs are too high, there is no suggestion that they will.

Reading posts on other forum, there are more in favour of a split than not, which is interesting. There is at the same time, a similar number in favour of the Scottish Pound.

FFS, what planet do you live on?  Do you seriously think that those in the 'cottage industries' have the dosh to just get up and move?  Doing business with companies outside the EU is already a pain in the neck.  A new currency would have to prove itself to be attractive and viable.

I was just thinking if we are what westminster would have us believe, a lesser member of the Great British Family who cannot stand on it's own two feet without them.. Then why given this opportunity to release us are they lying so heavily to keep us..  We all know they would be falling over themselves to amputate us if it didn't line their pockets :-)

If it happens, it is something you have to deal with. It may suit some. Who knows.

How many of these industries would be adversly affected?

Either yay or not, we are in this together.

No comment though on the rest of my post though, yet you post it all. If the greater good of Scotland is the Yes vote and a new currency, then it surely should be done, in the same way as if the greater good of Scotland is the Yes vote and the currency in use is retained, then it should be done.

The UK Gov have taken Scotland for a ride, it is only the EU that really helps in a social way. Perhaps a Yes vote will sort this out. The UK Gov will let Scotland keep the pound, it is in their interest. The whole currency thing is in the mix by the UK Gov to muddy the waters, that is all.

I have to take some of your comments about your business with the knowledge you refused to support other local "cottage" industries. I do not think you really care for the other industries but just your own, which is fine, as long as you remain open about it.

Edited by shetlandpeat

Much as though I lurve to disappoint ya, SP, I do NOT have to respond to all points you raise in your posts.  You might be living in Labour's dictatorship bubble but many of us are not.

I have a friend, incidentally, who works from home for Argos.  But no, you just MUST always be right and do jabs at others at any given opportunity.  When were you ever self-employed or worked in a cottage industry?  For once in your life, how about actually listening to others but then I forget, don't I, you're the bloody expert on everything - not.

I have only expressed an opinion, as you did and responded to yours.

Please explain how I live in "Labour's dictatorship bubble" when the Labour Party also said Scotland should not get the pound if there is a Yes vote. I have stated that Scotland would get the Pound if there is a Yes vote, which of course should remove your fears of the exchange rates, and here by ending that discussion.

You have posted a "non-content" post and tried to use your predudice against me by misrepresenting what I am saying.

As for the NI contributions, I am sure that will be sorted out, if there is a will from the people to have it included if there is a Yes vote.

If there is the promise of the Pound and reforms of the NI contributions, according to your post earlier, you would be as well off with a Yes vote or a No vote. Interesting? Eh?

If you feel the need to enter into debate, surely, you should get some. You cannot deny that you refused publicly to support another small company on Shetland, if that is what you are upset about.

I am still trying to work out your second sentance, it still does not make sense, given my thoughts on this matter. Now it is you who is just muddying the waters.

Just to add to your points raised, yes, I have been self employed and been paid in at least 3 different currencies and yes, I have worked in a "cottage" industry. That however is of no great importance, I would also guess that not everyone who works at home works for Argos.

Edited by shetlandpeat