Moonie's Wake doorman seriously assaulted

sludgegulper

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

hey mr tennants dinna go tarin toonies we da sam brush , its a minority that carry oot these acts , you have probably just insulted a lot of dam fine toonies oot there>

p.s i do not consider myself in either the toonie or the magnie camp

, i like to think i am ambidextrous on that one.

still mad! the justice system is an ass!!

What has happened to the days when the community would get together and sort out these little matters?

Down south things are different. A couple of big lads might spring out of the back of a van, hood the offender, tie him up and take him for a spin. He would get his fortune read to him well and truly. Not only would he be keeping his head down, but so would his mates. Generally the Police are looking the other way. Society becomes a safer place.

What has happened to the days when the community would get together and sort out these little matters?

Down south things are different. A couple of big lads might spring out of the back of a van, hood the offender, tie him up and take him for a spin. He would get his fortune read to him well and truly. Not only would he be keeping his head down, but so would his mates. Generally the Police are looking the other way. Society becomes a safer place.

:roll: Vigilantes have NO place in a modern society! This is a completely backwards opinion. You may as well get the pitch forks back out and tar and feather people!

:roll: Vigilantes have NO place in a modern society! This is a completely backwards opinion. You may as well get the pitch forks back out and tar and feather people!

Agreed, sooner or later as much harm as good comes of it. However, the patience of the public is only finite, and only so many incidents will happen where conventional justice is perceived ineffectual, and otherwise peaceable living folks will start doing whatever is needed to be effectual, it's only human nature.

But, in fairness, there is the popular belief that the authorities know who the main perpetrators of the recent assaults in Lerwick, as do the public, but as no-one usually comes forward to give evidence against them, there is nothing the police can do. Those apathetic are an accessory to the crime.

Hence the emphasis in a case such as this to encourage witnesses to come forward so that the others involved can be brought to justice.

I do agree that they should not have been given bail, if that's what you are referring to, though.

Trout wrote

Vigilantes have NO place in a modern society! This is a completely backwards opinion. You may as well get the pitch forks back out and tar and feather people!

Yes in principle I agree with Trout's statement but as a minority of young thugs roaming the streets of Lerwick do not regard the law as a deterrent I have a degree of sympathy for those who want "alternative" action.

The thing that most impressed me about Lerwick when I arrived was hearing reports on the "radio" of stolen mobile phones and missing bikes. With the exception of the gang of lads who were beating up drunks, and ignoring the fairly ubiquitous drunk driving, everything seemed rosey on the crime front. I asked myself why and there could only be two reasons, the community stuck together and would point the police in the right direction, or there would be shame for the individual if caught.

If nothing is happening to people who are going around attacking others then we only have ourselves to blame. If we wont stand up to them in court then it shows a lack of courage. That lack of courage is because we don't feel that we have the support of our neighbours. The system continues to perpetuate problems.

There is one of three choices, sit there and moan, report these things to the police, you guess what the third choice is!