20 MPH speed limit in town

Tammychoink

99 members have voted

1. 1. Should the council impose a 20 MPH speed limit in town?

• Yes
    • No

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2014/03/12/young-locals-blamed-for-town-speeding/

"Councillors have moved closer to introducing a 20mph speed limit in parts of Lerwick to help improve road safety and combat speeding drivers.

Elected members have opted to consult on whether the reduced limit should rolled out from the North Ness roundabout to the top of Church Road.

The agreement came after one member described the problem of speeding drivers as a “festering soreâ€.

Jonathan Wills said he had witnessed young drivers using their cars as “a form of mating displayâ€.

He said visitors, as well as locals, were at risk from motorists reaching speeds of up to 50mph or beyond – an estimation roads engineer Colin Gair said was not unreasonable.

Dr Wills told fellow members: “It is a notorious fact there is excessive speeding and extremely bad driving daily in this town centre.â€

He blamed young, local men for being the perpatrators behind the behaviour.

The cost of introducing the scheme is estimated to be between £100,000 and £150,000."

So folk are speeding at 50, even though the limit is 30. What exactly is the point in making it 20?  

Perhaps if the police would just enforce the 30 in the evenings then this wouldn't be an issue. Perhaps I lack patience, but the thought of driving around at 20mph does not appeal one bit. Daft, nanny-state nonsense. 

Edited by Tammychoink

I think it was a rather great idea for the council to agree on slashing the speed limit at the street. Yet as it is springtime now, tourist numbers can increase and also young children are a bit of a risk around the street too, if they should oppose a public vote to this then I'd say it may be one-sided which is my only small concern because safety always comes first!!

i agree i don't see how lowering the limit will help. i have to wait about once a week for a couple of hours each week at vicky pier. its probably not massive speed more extreme acceleration and squealing tyres. i see the police patrol but the racers seem to know when to avoid them. just get them to park near the entrance a do a foot patrol. it should solve the problem. 

They want the speed limit down to twenty so they can change the crossings to zebras.

This will save money but will certainly compromise safety.

As for speeding,the area is well covered by CCTV and the speeding culprits could soon be identified and the necessary measures taken to slow them down,by heavy fines and penalty points.

Most of us have driven in this area for many years with no problems.

This is just another stupid idea some of our councilors have though up to save money,when the real problem is overstaffing in some departments.

Turkeys do not vote for xmas. :evil: 

They want the speed limit down to twenty so they can change the crossings to zebras.

This will save money but will certainly compromise safety.

Agreed, but there in lies the problem. They will no doubt spend £150k putting in signage, humps and Zebra crossings, then after they realise that there are now more accidents at the zebra crossings, they will put them back to pelican at another £100k and true to form having done a complete circle and spent twice the money. Simples

Mind you Urabug I could try doing 50mph through the town da morns night given all these people are aware of all this speeding and that nothing seems to be done about it, but da ald jalopy would overheat if I went over 30 :-)

Yes, sadly it's just another example of needless interference and "Big Brother".  If there was a genuine need for it then fine, but there isn't.

It reminds me of the "improvements" to Harrison Square and the bollards at the Clydesdale Bank.  Both "initiatives" have proven to be a disaster for Da Street and reading between the lines if Councillor Allan Wishart's comments on Radio Shetland the other night are anything to go by those "changes" that were implemented might eventually be torn up and reinstated..... 

Another fine mess.....

Edited by Kavi Ugl

It would be interesting where folk get their evidence that a zebra crossing will increase accidents. There has not been any working crossing points yet, no accidents worth speaking of, some quote as the reason it is a waste of time.

As for the Street. You may be right, locals cannot even abide by the restrictions to traffic and parking regulations, why would drivers then stick to this proposed scheme. You could suggest that drivers are selfish and care not for others safety.

I would like to see evidence proving that some people actually achieve 50mph in the town centre as all we appear to have at  the moment is hearsay and 'sound bites'.

Furthermore, (zebra/pelican/whatever crossing points aside) I believe that reducing vehicles speed to 20mph makes crossing a fairly busy road even more difficult as it creates a 'solid' line of traffic with no gaps to nip across.

example;

Crossing the road at the Gremista Power Station, although it is quite busy, is relatively straightforward.

Try crossing the same bit of road a few yards further on at the roundabout below Gremista Industrial Estate.  Difficult because there is a 'speed' sign just ahead of the roundabout that reduces vehicles speeds and creates a fairly solid line of 'bumper to bumper' traffic entering Lerwick.

Like I (and others) said earlier;

If there is a problem with young(?) drivers in the town centre then, get the police down there.  They would only have to 'nick' one or two for the message to get out.