20 MPH speed limit in town

Tammychoink

99 members have voted

1. 1. Should the council impose a 20 MPH speed limit in town?

• Yes
    • No

I'm going to suggest something crazy here that the council would probably never even think of doing. This first assumes that the council has found there to be a need to reduce the speed of vehicles along the esplanade (which I'm not sure there is).

Instead of installing all of the speed bumps and raised islands, why don't they simply stick up some signs saying ‘20’. Some drivers, myself included, would slow their speed a little bit and this might have the desired effect without pulverising everyone’s lumbar region.

It would also be a lot cheaper and with significantly less disruption than doing heavy work to the road.

They could always review it again after a year or two and see whether it has actually had the desired impact, and then if they have to they could put their beloved speed bumps in.

And, would they not need to consider setting up Roadblocks / Checkpoints up the north road, and top o the Sound Brae, just incase any Lerwick residents are daring to think of travelling oot the toon for food?

There's nobody needing to leave the toon to go to Frankies, Da Haaf, Scalloway Hotel, Scalloway Chinese takeaway, the Mid Brae Inn, Voe Pierhead, Busta or Burrastow Houses, Hillswick Hotel, Brae Hotel, Yun fancy new hotel in Brae - Moorfield?, Valleyfield, Drumquin,

Sumburgh Hotel, Spiggie Hotel, etc regardless of how good a reputation they may have-

Just you bide in the toon and eat what's available within walking distance!

I'm going to suggest something crazy here that the council would probably never even think of doing. This first assumes that the council has found there to be a need to reduce the speed of vehicles along the esplanade (which I'm not sure there is).

Instead of installing all of the speed bumps and raised islands, why don't they simply stick up some signs saying ‘20’. Some drivers, myself included, would slow their speed a little bit and this might have the desired effect without pulverising everyone’s lumbar region.

It would also be a lot cheaper and with significantly less disruption than doing heavy work to the road.

They could always review it again after a year or two and see whether it has actually had the desired impact, and then if they have to they could put their beloved speed bumps in.

So obvious it's laughable, the signs are £21 a pop see link HERE, say six signs and a bit of labour, total cost under £500? Job done. Edited by Capeesh