Self-build mortgage in Shetland?

pookerpie

Hi

We're thinking about building a house with a local construction firm.

I've heard from some folk that none of the banks in Shetland are doing self-build mortgages anymore. This seems odd as I've seen so many houses going up in Shetland over the last few years.

We've only spoken to Santander over the phone and they've confirmed that they don't do them. There are numerous building societies sooth that could be an option, but naturally we'd prefer someone closer to home.  

Does anyone have any recent experience in this area, or could even recommend a company sooth? 

possibly seek a broker, a whole market one. i know when buying our place apart from it being a decrofted house. half the lenders would not lend up here. the think there is no market up here. think the council/housing association can help. good luck and remember the delays in getting a builder on site.

We are building a house at the moment and got our mortgage through 'Scottish Building Society'

I would highly recommend them 100% - We had a real struggle finding a lender for a self build. The construction of our house is timber frame & timber clad which is non-standard construction believe it or not, and this caused problems.

The moment I got speaking to Scottish building society was like a breath of fresh air. They have an office in Inverness and are the best to deal with. The lady I deal with is Gwen Dingwall - Very very helpful!

Here is there number

Tel: 01463 234423

Thanks Skeetilc - this sounds really promising. I'd actually seen their site when I was searching online, but it's fine to hear that someone else has used them. I also note that they have an office in Aberdeen, so we might be able to arrange a face-to-face with them without too much hassle. Many thanks for your reply! fingers crossed! :-)

No probs. As I say I cannot rate them high enough.

We had a terrible time getting a mortgage. We are young(ish), on a decent wage, no debt, had a good deposit yet it still seemed very difficult until we stumbled across Scottish Building Society.

Good luck with the house build - Its not easy but well worth it!