Pass the hemp rope, please.

Scorrie

Yip, that'll sort the problem. Or will it just move it on.

I would rather see them answering to the court for their crimes and being appropriately punished.

By that I mean, made to fully repay the garage and church through working for free, then having to live in and face the community they have let down.

But no doubt they will just get a slap in the wrist.

Dunno about forcing someone to stay in a particular area as a punnishment. As with some cases, it could be the very same community that let the individual down, however, that does not bode well with inflicting pain as a tool of revenge. Alas, if a slap on the wrist is all that is needed, then so be it, going further may turn a simple act of acknowledging remorse into something much deeper and dangerous. Of course, we have to remember that when the death penalty and forms of flagellation that were available as punnishments, there were no crimes. It of course must be the ideal utopia we are all looking for. Some sections of the community however may become very resourseful and the simplest of crimes may need quite drastic moves to disguise. Alas, it is OK, as we can kill them if we can catch them. Everything will be fine.

Yawn!,

Indead, it is on par with other comments, in that it is an opinion, as is yours. The yawn should be for the total content and the fact that it still comes up. Though the news is always interesting and quite revealing. There are however more serious crimes that need attention and public debate. If you use this level of crime (a business and religion base) and punnish at the levels indicated, then very soon this country will be executing children and young adults again.

The community can be proactive with folk, it is more about being positive and showing how these actions can upset and agrieve many, incure a hatred and then moving on with compassion (for certain circumstances) and forgiveness. Learning to understand why rather than the outrage of the crime alone. There are many good folk around who have had their brushes with the law. For most, it becomes a positive force.

I agree that there are some folk who may just be nasty and have little caring, though you will find many who do are not. After all, it is common knowledge that 25% of the population have broken one law or rule and have been caught. I doubt that these folk are all evil and I then wonder what society would be like if we did enact violence as a punnishment. Some of the 25% are folk who have had parking tickets and the like, though it makes you wonder how many crimes are not reported or "solved".

Let us hope that these crimes are solved, damages repaired and lessons learnt.

Unfortunately, if of the right age, anyone investigated for these will of course suffer trial by media first. Regardless of outcomes, I know from a friend who used to live in Lerwick, it can have a drastic affect on you for the rest of your life.

Hey, not bad that I get 5 additional responses for my post. Not bad from someone who was not going to respond to my posts. Thanks though, I really do apreciate it, no matter what your intent was. And none really on the topic. Great responses though.

It is the lack of willingness to engage, quick to comment but if it is not what folk want to hear ridicule the poster rather than respond, or not to the comments. That has been one of the problems with mob rule/law, there will never be any recourse if it is wrong, after all, folk do not want to admit they were wrong, though reading your bit about staying in communities, I can see where all this has come from, which is a way of me saying that you were not suggesting forced occupation in a community as a punnishment. Where I made a mistake.

Though, I do think my other thoughts, brought on by the title of this thread (indicating some sort of capital punnishment) and the following comments (indicating corporal punnishments and deportation) are not incorrect as a response. After all, out of all the countries in the world, about 21 kill or injure folk as punnishment.

Edited by shetlandpeat

Here you go, use as frequently as necessary, they don't wear oot. Thankfully.

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq330/Redneck_Hillbilly0504/YawnAnimated.gif

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq330/Redneck_Hillbilly0504/Sleep.gif

May also prove useful from time to time.....

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq330/Redneck_Hillbilly0504/YouAreCrazy.gif

Edited by Ghostrider