Manage, ignore pref settings

Windwalker read up sunshine

"sunshine" ... I can assure you I have "read up" and clearly, I can see there are a number of people using this forum, who seem to contribute little other than have digs at others.

The point I was making is I think it's unfair to have a go at folk when they are unable to respond/reply. But if you feel your post contributed to the thread, then who am I to question it.

^ Well, I can't comment on the first part, my crystal ball is gotten a bit battered and cracked over the years. However, I can confirm that she most definitely is not back already, as I'm the one that's having to listen to her going on about what she would say *if* she were, besides, I can see her computer screen. ;-)

Edited by Ghostrider

^ She had for some weeks, but things then escalated on the forum that she felt some sort of "statement" was necessary, assumedly the same as owre-weel felt making one was necessary.

A "falling on your own sword" type gesture may not be everyone's opinion of "making a difference", but simply vanishing quietly doesn't make much difference towards addressing a long-standing recurring issue stretching back years, that's been addressed by more "standard" means more than once previously, as nobody can know why they no longer use the site.

Yeah but should anyone really care why a particular user doesn't use the site anymore. I don't use it nearly as much as I used to and I doubt anyone noticed or cared, if I felt my reasons for using it less were important enough I would have pm'd an administrator and told them why. To be frank the choice left to the admins was two users saying "close my account" which is an easy decision to make, while boyo may be irritating the people who want the accounts deleted it's clearly not bad enough for the administrators to feel they need to get rid of him. They were always going to take the path of least resistance. If they had deleted his account in favour of other users complaining about him even I would have questioned that. While I don't agree with pretty much most of what he says he can say it as long as it doesn't break the rules and the admins must be thinking he isn't.

Yeah but should anyone really care why a particular user doesn't use the site anymore. I don't use it nearly as much as I used to and I doubt anyone noticed or cared, if I felt my reasons for using it less were important enough I would have pm'd an administrator and told them why. To be frank the choice left to the admins was two users saying "close my account" which is an easy decision to make, while boyo may be irritating the people who want the accounts deleted it's clearly not bad enough for the administrators to feel they need to get rid of him. They were always going to take the path of least resistance. If they had deleted his account in favour of other users complaining about him even I would have questioned that. While I don't agree with pretty much most of what he says he can say it as long as it doesn't break the rules and the admins must be thinking he isn't.

Although I basically agree with the above JohanofNess, I suppose the only thing that concerns me, is how many others have either stopped using the forum, or avoid starting because of the way the forums descended into the usual ramblings. I know quite a few. It was a discussion with one which made me sign up after many years viewing from the back seats.

It's always a shame that people give up, but unfortunately giving in to those who may not play fair, just let's them win and clearly admin didn't seem at all bothered. Great way to promote the site and encourage more people to get involved.

Edited by Windwalker

To be frank the choice left to the admins was two users saying "close my account" which is an easy decision to make, while boyo may be irritating the people who want the accounts deleted it's clearly not bad enough for the administrators to feel they need to get rid of him.

That wasn't known before the fact, but one would suppose it was probably thought to be a gamble worth taking by those you did. Regardless whether it resulted in any actual change on the ground, it let the Admin know the strength of feeling in a way just stopping posting wouldn't have achieved. Whether they chose to act on it, or let it influence any furure actions they may choose to take, is up to them.

that tactic would never work. if an admin ever gave way to that kind of [***Mod edit - word deleted at OP request***] then they lose the control of the forum. i ve had lots of issues with pete but he has as much right to be here as any other. He also does contribute the odd good point or a hundred. its when egos crash that problems start. 

that tactic would never work. if an admin ever gave way to that kind of blackmail then they lose the control of the forum. i ve had lots of issues with pete but he has as much right to be here as any other. He also does contribute the odd good point or a hundred. its when egos crash that problems start.

I'd be carefully where you go with this one, I don't think either unlinked student or owerweel were trying to blackmail anyone. The OP (owerweel) asked for his/her account to be closed, and in my opinion this was out of frustration that had obviously gone on for a while, neither him/her or unlinked gave admin an ultimatum or suggested it's him or us.

Throwing in words like blackmail is neither accurate or fair to those involved.

im on reasonable terms with unlink in real life. she knows what i meant has we have just chatted about it. 

Perhaps she does, but no-one else who reads this thread will. They will only see and take at face value the actual wording you have chosen to use, and believe whatever meaning those lead them to.

While you may choose to see "blackmail" somewhere in this issue, that's your privilege. However, speaking only for unlinkedstudent, as I have no knowledge of owre-weel's feelings on the subject, .the point was solely to make a statement to Admin and users of dissatisfaction with how issues were/are being handled.

Simply, expressing an opinion, whether Admin of users heed it, is their choice.

Edited by Ghostrider

PaulB

Can I suggest that you retract(?) the word 'blackmail'.  ?

I didn't see it as blackmail either and, I am sorely disappointed that Owre Well and Unlinked Student asked to be unsubscribed. 

This place is in need of a dose of the kind of reality they brought to it.

These are supposed to be moderated newsgroups and, the fact that they had a 'stalker' who, imho, deliberately and obsessively targeted their posts should have come to someone's attention long before two posters gave up in exasperation.

It's always a shame that people give up, but unfortunately giving in to those who may not play fair, just let's them win and clearly admin didn't seem at all bothered. Great way to promote the site and encourage more people to get involved.

I don't think it's an issue of not being bothered but the fact that personalities are clashing and the bickering is a result of that. It's at that point they have to get involved and it's not like the two people who left can say they never dished out flak in the other direction. Like I said it was an easy decision for an admin to make, it removed two people who actively disagree with one of the most active posters on the forum, by removing their accounts they've gotten rid of hassle they likely didn't want to get involved in. Has it worked, well yes but they've gotten a quieter less active forum because of it.