Public Toilets in Shetland

Frances144

There is a map of public toilets on the front cover of this month's Shetland Life showing all the public toilets in Shetland, with the closed ones coloured red. The closed ones are

Bigton

Brae

Burra Meal

Burra Hamnavoe

Jarlshof

Sandwick

Lerwick Clickimin

Lerwick Grantfield

You can subscribe to Shetland Life online

http://subscriber.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/subscribe.aspx?source=4&eid=0fd4e451-701f-47cf-98ce-a9496c52de3a

There is a map of public toilets on the front cover of this month's Shetland Life showing all the public toilets in Shetland, with the closed ones coloured red. The closed ones are

Bigton

Brae

Burra Meal

Burra Hamnavoe

Jarlshof

Sandwick

Lerwick Clickimin

Lerwick Grantfield

You can subscribe to Shetland Life online

http://subscriber.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/subscribe.aspx?source=4&eid=0fd4e451-701f-47cf-98ce-a9496c52de3a

Be careful what you're about to step in when on the west side of the toon, Burra and the Sooth End seems to be the over-riding message from this list. Ahh, well.....it'll be fertiliser if nothing else.

Responsibility for the Bigton toilets has been taken on by the community-owned shop, I've heard - huge credit to them if that is true. 

Closing the Burra Meal toilets will look ridiculous come summer. They could at least have them open over the school holidays, sure they will have some school cleaners on the books with not much to do.

The whole thing is a huge embarrassment

to Shetland and I'm sure there are places with more financial problems keeping the public toilets open. Shetland also has a very high percentage of people with Colitis and Chrones disease, where the use of a toilet can be a very urgent necessity.

Closing the public toilets (and other cutbacks) were very necessary to protect the jobs of the highly paid, underworked deadwood that dreams up closing the public toilets (and other cutbacks).

At the same time they can afford to sponsor 'parkour', 'biodoodling' and a raft of other non-sensical rubbish.

Pity that none of our councillors seems to have the bottle to stand up to them.  Maybe it will be left to Council Tax payers to draw a line in the sand.

how about shutting the ones in the town hall. think of the savings on meeting they will always be brief and to the point. i wonder if they have calculated the cost to police scotland issuing all those fixed penalty notices. think of all that wee they are wasting. just help save the council some funding by washing the nearest council van.

Maybe the arts and development could do without a production manager being sourced from London, and the money used from his salary, taken off them and put towards keepin a couple of toilets open, which I am sure would be more use to the public of Shetland.

Maybe that is what's wrong with the Arts Trust...  Jobs are being exported because there appears to be nobody living locally who is sufficiently 'qualified' or 'experienced' enough to do a job that is so obviously vital(?) to the community.

I wonder how many 'managers' they employ to look after Mareel's toilets?

Edited by Colin