petition for referenda in the islands

donald

Spain's rejection of the outcome of the Catalan indepence referendum is a matter of public record

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26341833

Similarily Argentina does not recognise last years vote by the Falkland Islanders referendum vote

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/9952712/Argentina-demands-UN-reject-Falkland-Islands-referendum.html

There is form for Governments not recognising democratic elections hence the need for Westminister as the sovereign parliament for the United Kingdom to recognise and legitimise any election.

As stated previously I believe that sovereignty rests with the people but as much as a UK constitution exists it's based upon the principle sovereignty rests with Westminster.

Nowadays core part of campaigns are websites and Facebook pages are those behind the petition releasing such sites to advance the case for Shetland Indepence and also planning to hold any public meetings to generate local support?

Isn't it funny (not) that governments choose not to recognise 'the will of the people' when it suits them.

Perhaps they need a reminder that they are elected to 'serve' and, not to bully us/lie to us/decieve us (your choice) into submission because 'they know best'.

Article 1 of the UN charter might have some bearing on this.

Sounds interesting the whole idea.

I wonder what would happen if it was a yes vote?

What would that mean.

Could Shetland keep the GBH running. We could open up all the schools that have been shut. Get local skips back. Start paying for prescription's again. The cost of the boat might even stay the same.

I'm maybe being sarcastic but if there is no money now then where will it come from?

Debate is good. Change can be good.

The man is a half wit himself just can't take anything this man says seriously

Entirely predictable.

Dr Wills is a supporter of the 'Yes' vote.

Any such ('Yes') vote would be worthless if Scotland stood any chance of loosing Shetland and it's oil revenues.

Scotland needs Shetland and it's oil to have any chance (short term) of balancing it's books.  The alternative would be astronomically high taxes and a massive reduction in services.

A discussion on Shetland's independence is not a 'meaningless distraction' but (in local AND national terms), core to the whole debate.

As an aside, a highly placed council official once said to me that "he would rather have Wills inside the tent pissing out than have him outside pissing in."  nuff said.

Ah, yes, that'll be the same Dr Wills who said during an interview for Newsnight Scotland a few years ago when the issue of Scottish Independance was being spoken about that, and I quote, "we(Shetland) don't have to go anywhere"....... 

Now he's  suppporting an Independant Scotland and poo-pooing the concept of more autonomy for Shetland......

My "guarded support" for the "Our Islands Our Future" campaign came to an abrupt halt when I saw that they had discussed "sharing services" during the hidmist meeting a month or so ago.  I want more independance for Shetland, not integration. 

If I vote, it'll be a "No".  Why?.  Because it's been bad enough under devolution never mind the results on Shetland of a full and unleashed Scotland.

I'll also be voting No as a poke in the eye to all the people in Shetland who think they're Scots and that Shetland is a part of Scotland.

Edited by Kavi Ugl

Ah, yes, that'll be the same Dr Wills who said during an interview for Newsnight Scotland a few years ago when the issue of Scottish Independance was being spoken about that, and I quote, "we(Shetland) don't have to go anywhere"....... 

Always had far to much "I" in his "We's".

As for voting.  At the moment I am a definate 'No'. 

Why?  Because I do not think that there is any point in any kind of independence(?) that retains the £, the queen, membership of the EU, NATO and, all the other things that they want to keep.

"Our Islands, Our Future".  Like yourself, I to think that, as some kind of "pressure group" it might be a good idea but, long term, I believe that 'integration' is a shoe that will not fit.   No point limping into the future when it's going to need big, bold steps.

Yes, I appreciate that any future government of an Independant Scotland won't necessarily be the SNP but their "vision" of "Independance within Europe" is a joke.  There's no such thing as "Independance within Europe".  The EU is a failed project which is teetering on the brink of financial and social collapse.

The "Our Islands Our Future" campaing was, on the one hand, commendable but the truth is it's a wet sop that isn't bold enough.

And I don't trust them anymore after the idea of "shared services" so for me it's now dead in the water.

Edited by Kavi Ugl

Although the heart says it would be nice to see an independant Shetland, the head very much questions if this could ever be feasible. Much like an independant Scotland there are too many questions that aren't answered.

But that doesn't mean that we should not be driving a harder bargain for the isles. We hold a lot of the cards and should be pushing the idea and keeping our drive on the possibility of remaining with the uk if Scotland gets independence. It will give us more bargaining power with either side.

The islands group is a great platform from where to fight our corner, but I do not feel they are driving a hard enough bargain. We do not want the scraps from the table, we want a seat at the table and a strong say in our future.

Our removable, either from the UK or perhaps Scotland, will have a huge effect on them, clearly they both want us as they need our oil, so now is the time to stand up for ourselves and "Axe for what we want"

I wish we would stop this "we are not good enough". Scotland would be very capable of becoming a successful state. even Shetland with lots of thinking and training could run its own affairs. The Falklands has a 10th of our population and is able to govern itself quite well.

So even though im a yes voter for Scotland and feel Shetland should be part of it. there is no reason why e could not do it by ourselves. roughly world countries/ territories are doing so. though we would be minnows on the world stage . Scotland would be roughly 111th on the worlds countries/territories and Shetland would be 224 roughly the same as the dutch Caribbean. 

I'll also be voting No as a poke in the eye to all the people in Shetland who think they're Scots and that Shetland is a part of Scotland.

Kind of hard to know where to start with that, scraping off the thin veneer of xenophobia coursing through it I would say that even though you don't feel Scottish and you don't want to be called Scottish you are still Scottish by the simple fact you live in Shetland which is a part of Scotland (whether you like it or not). However, you can take a mature approach to the referendum and vote in a way which you think will benefit Shetland best rather than take the bairny attitude of voting the way you think will upset the most people.

Please also note that whereas of course only islanders will have a vote in the referenda, signatures are very welcome from anybody who wants us to be able to decide the status of our islands. It doesn't matter whether they live in the islands, in mainland Scotland, elsewhere in the UK or anywhere else in the world.

Something makes me think you'd be singing a different tune if people from outside Shetland were signing a petition against Shetland autonomy.

I have always understood the make up of Shetlanders to be of many races. Scottish ancestry is quite prevalent. English is quite high as well. My family, as far as my own research shows is way back in the 18th Century from Unst. I do not think that that should give automatic right to a vote.