Moving to Shetland

hope your move goes well. most walking is done on the single track roads. there is the right to roam but you would be pushing it with 5 dogs. nothing wrong about going to the beaches and open scatland but be careful. there are drivers up here that forget to slow down.

Very welcoming attitude.....Not.

We take 4 dogs on the beach and like all responsible dog owners we NEVER leave any "doggie doos" behind.

There are some fantastic beaches for walking your dogs up here Scootersprocket. Just be responsible.

And don`t take any notice of unwelcoming remarks on here, you will find that people in the real Shetland are the nicest most welcoming people you could wish to meet. ( When not hiding behind an avatar)

I wasn't being 'unwelcoming' so, please don't suggest that I was.

I don't care how many dogs you, or anyone else has but, on more than 1 occasion I have stepped in dog mess on a beach that some responsible(?) owner has left behind.

There is also the issue of diseases that can be contracted from dog urine.  Do you collect that as well or, do you leave it so that some innocent individual can walk in it?

Hi,

my husband and I are moving up to Shetland next year, we have 5 dogs, any tips re: safe and secure walks? We are very excited and can't wait to get involved with the local community.

Many thanks

Claire

Hi Scootersprocket, I'm sure with five dogs you'll be used to handling them, so you will find lots of walks all over Shetland. It would help if you knew the area you hope to move to then hopefully people could be a bit more constructive with their replies and give specific suitable walks

I've walked dogs all over Shetland, sometimes on and off the leash, but always take particular care during the lambing period. A lot of roads can be very quiet at certain times though the day and are therefore safe to walk on the verges. I have always found 99% of motorists to be very courteous when out with my dogs.

You'll find the long summer days and nights a delight to walk your dogs, but pack some warm and waterproof clothing for the long dark winters, the windy days can be bad. On saying that I have never not had my dogs out every day of the year :-)

Good luck with your move.

I tend to agree with Colin as we have people walk their dogs a lot around (and over) our land and not everybody cleans up behind them.    With five dogs, unless you have them all on leads, you will be hard pressed to find it all and pickup after them.   The best option is to buy a place with lots of land and exercise them there.

Stick to roads, tracks and beaches that are fenced off from the adjoining land, or in the case of unfenced ones, keep your dogs on leads unless you are 100% sure they will heed a recall command regardless of any occurance. Better still, get to know land occupiers in whatever area you settle in, as some, once they get to know and trust you will let you exercise them in an empty field from time to time as and when ne may be available.

What may be different here to many other places is that we have in certain areas miles of roads and tracks where livestock have been grazing for centuries before roads were thought of, and have pretty much the same right to be on any road or track crossing it than anyone or anything else. Many such areas have poor quality grazing and have a very low stock density as a result, which can lead the unfamiliar to assume just because they can see no livestock from their immediate location, that there isn't any there. This is wrong, and while you might walk a mile or two and still see none, you're as likely to go over a bump in the road and suddenly be faced with one or several sheep quietly munching away, or lying sunning themselves (but more likely taking shelter from the weather) - not a problem if you have your dogs on leads or know you have perfect recall in the circumstances and they stay right at your side, as while at the sight of your dogs they'll all take off and sprint a few hundred yards, most owners won't be particularly bothered by that, but they will if they see a dog appearing to chase after the sheep, even if its only 50 yards until it responds to you and returns.

There is also the issue of diseases that can be contracted from dog urine.  Do you collect that as well or, do you leave it so that some innocent individual can walk in it?

Oh dear! You missed cat, sheep and horse urine to name a few. Now as this is such a concern I think you should start a campaign to have all dogs put down, after all the Times is full of cases of dog pee disease sindrome every week.