Moving to Shetland

Oh dear! You missed cat, sheep and horse urine to name a few. Now as this is such a concern I think you should start a campaign to have all dogs put down, after all the Times is full of cases of dog pee disease sindrome every week.

Did I?

Been aware of a few horses being excercised on beaches and the little uncollected presents(?) that they leave behind but, I have never seen anyone excercising cats or sheep on a beach.

The point you have (deliberately) missed is that most of our beaches are used by members of the general public for relaxing, excercise and family days out.  They should be kept as clean(?) as possible.

Taking a bunch of dogs (or any other animals) in amongst them is, imho, pretty stupid.

Take them up into the hills etc. Those are places where any reasonable person would expect to find animal waste and, would be dressed accordingly.

Oh dear! You missed cat, sheep and horse urine to name a few. Now as this is such a concern I think you should start a campaign to have all dogs put down, after all the Times is full of cases of dog pee disease sindrome every week.

Did I?

Been aware of a few horses being excercised on beaches and the little uncollected presents(?) that they leave behind but, I have never seen anyone excercising cats or sheep on a beach.

The point you have (deliberately) missed is that most of our beaches are used by members of the general public for relaxing, excercise and family days out.  They should be kept as clean(?) as possible.

Taking a bunch of dogs (or any other animals) in amongst them is, imho, pretty stupid.

Take them up into the hills etc. Those are places where any reasonable person would expect to find animal waste and, would be dressed accordingly.

No I didn't deliberately miss any point. Beaches are public spaces and you will see people there with dogs enjoying swimming as well as humans. As long as the dog owners pick up its mess I see no problem. Your point about dog urine was a little OTT. And for your information I've seen sheep on beaches along with neighbouring cats doing their business in the sand.

The OP asked a simple question and immediately gets bombarded by the "worry worry" brigade.

Paulb suggested taking dogs on open scattald.   This is misleading as there are regulations against this.   Only crofters with grazing rights for the scattald may use dogs here and only in conjunction with others who have the same rights in order to caa the sheep.

Evidence, please.

Access rights include access for recreational purposes, some educational purposes, and some commercial activities. Recreational purposes are not legally defined, but can be taken to include pastimes such as painting, sightseeing and photography; social activities like picnics, playing, paddling, sledging, flying a kite or walking the dog; active pursuits such as walking, cycling, horse riding, climbing, orienteering, skiing, caving, canoeing, swimming, sailing, diving, above ground sports and wild camping; and participation in organised events involving recreational activities.

from 

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usscotfax/outdoors/outdooraccess.html

however girzie is right on what he says. there are local rules governing dogs. plus five dogs over rough hill land would be tough

going. Still come up and enjoy yourselves lots of space ro walk them just be careful.

Access rights include access for recreational purposes, some educational purposes, and some commercial activities. Recreational purposes are not legally defined, but can be taken to include pastimes such as painting, sightseeing and photography; social activities like picnics, playing, paddling, sledging, flying a kite or walking the dog; active pursuits such as walking, cycling, horse riding, climbing, orienteering, skiing, caving, canoeing, swimming, sailing, diving, above ground sports and wild camping; and participation in organised events involving recreational activities.

from 

however girzie is right on what he says. there are local rules governing dogs. plus five dogs over rough hill land would be tough

going. Still come up and enjoy yourselves lots of space ro walk them just be careful.

Interesting that the quote only mentions 'dog' in the singular.  If this is the exact wording of the legislation then, I would assume that any landowner might reasonably(?) object to anyone walking more than 1 at a time..

from 

As long as the dog is 'under control' (this means walking to heel or on a lead shorter than 6ft), then that is all that is required. I can't remember if the wording is 'dog' or 'dogs'.

Girzie is bluffing, the right to roam act goes over the top of any alleged (and I stress that word) local 'arrangements' that are suddenly magicked up by those seeking to exclude folk from 'their' patch.

However common sense should prevail, and given the antics and singular lack of control shown by some owners, I'm not surprised livestock owners get hacked off. I'm damn sure i would, too.

But, my point still stands.

The Land Reform Act (Scotland) 2003 made whatever access restrictions were in place (or believed to be in place) obsolete.

And until you can provide evidence to back up your original claim that only working dogs owned by those with grazing rights were allowed, I'll maintain you are bluffing.

Edited by Scorrie

Let's just be realistic here!  Everywhere you go in Shetland there are sheep.

Along the roads, in the fields, and way way up over the hills. A high percentage of crofters and farmers are none too happy about people wandering over their land with dogs. That's just the way it is.

At this time of year especially there are pregnant ewes everywhere, and dogs can cause serious problems. Even someone appearing among them with a couple of dogs is bad enough, but five!!!!

Why should anyone need to keep five dogs in the first place? that question has to be asked.

I know people who have been here with dogs and have gone back to Perthshire. There are loads of walks through the woods, and dogs are very well catered for.

I'm afraid that isnt the case here, you might find serious problems exercising five dogs.

However, the best of luck!

ive had to deal with a late abortion and its amazingly easy for a sheep to do so and its really sad to see a perfect lamb die for no reason.

the op sounds very sensible and i fully believe that they will control them. i really don't think there was a need to attack them because they have five dogs. if your going to want to kick folks out of shetland for having loads of them your going to lose a lot of crofters. 

a few weeks ago in country file adams farm segment he had to have 1/2 dozen cattle killed because his dogs pooped on his fields and infected them with some bug. 2 weeks later his dogs were running around again still infectious. so its not only the dumb townie that needs to learn at times. but yes the next month or 2 the green open space should be dog free. 

Not very welcoming on here now.

I would like to know what the dispair is all about and I am intrigued why someone with five dogs needs to be questioned.

I forget that I am suposed to be the negative one :ponders:

Anyhow, most Shetland folk are OK and will advise without dispair or unreasonable questioning. It is a great place to visit and stay.

Enjoy. I certainly have done, still do, will do.