Lerwick shortlisted in search for Scotland's 'best place'

MuckleJoannie

The Royal Town Planning Institute has joined up with the Scottish government to find places which have been "built, enhanced or protected by planners and the planning system within Scotland since 1914".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-26872971

The second waterfront entry on the shortlist is also reaping the benefits of a detailed regeneration plan, this time in Lerwick.

In 1991 the local council drew up a Town Centre and Waterfront Strategy, establishing a cultural quarter and a new arts centre and restoring listed historic buildings in the area.

Judges noted that the project has transformed the waterfront into "a vibrant extension to the town centre".

I used to look after the Browns Road part of the site in the 1990's for SLAP and, along with the North Ness, it was the part of Lerwick that time forgot. Apart from the Alting Seafoods factory it was covered in semi derelict properties.You can get a flavour of it from these photos.

http://photos.shetland-museum.org.uk/index.php?a=advanced&s=item&key=XYToyOntzOjExOiJERVNDUklQVElPTiI7czoxMjoiZmlzaCBmYWN0b3J5IjtzOjY6IlBBUklTSCI7czo3OiJMZXJ3aWNrIjt9&pg=10

hhttp://photos.shetland-museum.org.uk/index.php?a=wordsearch&s=item&key=Wczo1OiJib2FyZCI7&pg=416

Done! Cheers for pointing that out MJ. That area of Lerwick was indeed in a terrible state up until reasonably recently (cue the Mareel / Solarhaus / Whitehouse / Museum moaners....)

Yup! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and "moaning" about "Mareel/Solarhaus/Whitehouse/Museum" is no different than anything else, as it doesn't necessarily follow everybody is negative about everything about it if they do "moan".

Yup, I'll argee the area was pretty ratty, and had been that way for a long time, and good on folk taking the initiative to revitalise it. Mareel and the Museum are, IMHO beneficial facilities, do I like the buildings themselves, no, I don't, do I think they're on the best sites for them, and are designed in a way that best provides the facilities, well, not really. As for the various office blocks, do I like the buildings, do I think they're making best use of the site, nope.

Yes, at the end of the day the site has been made to be far more productive and useful, and that's good IMHO. However, could the site have been made even more useful and productive and been made more aesthetically pleasing, damn right. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and everyone has their own priorities as to what constitutes "best use" and "productive" and all that, so while some may be delighted with the result, equally some will be indifferent and others will feel its a waste blighted by eyesores. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, and just because someone has an opinion the opposite of what some others have chosen to be their ideal, does not immediately label them a "moaner".

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion, and just because someone has an opinion the opposite of what some others have chosen to be their ideal, does not immediately label them a "moaner".

Yup, I agree with that completely, and you have presented a balanced opinion. However, some people are still moaners ;-)

Overall I think what's been done at the North Ness is brilliant and it wasn't just muckle needed but it was great to see fresh and imaginative buildings like Nord Hus, Solar Hus, etc.

I'm not convinced by the new museum apart from the boat hall which is bold and imaginative. 

Sadly, Mareel is an eyesore and is a step back in terms of what was being done in the area. 

Nevertheless, if only we could see more of what's been done at the North Ness replicated in other parts of Lerwick/Shetland.

P.S I wish the owners would do something with the Bargain Centre......

Edited by Kavi Ugl

@ Kavi, I know you like the style, but to me the offices at the North Ness are as big travesties as Charlotte House and the Shetland Hotel. To me they're shapeless wooden sheds painted funny colours that look like refugees escaped from Faroe. Personally I'd prefer something more in keeping with the "traditional" style of the town, eg. The Grand or Hillhead etc, or something unique but in keeping with with the overall established style.

We needn't fall out over it though. ;-) I respect your preference to find funny coloured boxes appealing, and I'm sure you'll equally respect mine to find grotty old grey edifices appealing.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...

For a long time I have had my doubts on that ubiquitous belief. Consequently, I was very interested to learn of Denis Dutton's theory of beauty, which entirely rejects the notion.  He presented it in a TED lecture a few years ago.  Very thought provoking, as well as being a particularly well presented and entertaining presentation. He has certainly convinced me:

A Darwinian theory of beauty

^ It has potential as a valid theory, however to claim the everything that is pleasing to the eye is as a result of ancestoral conditioning is a leap of faith too far, for which he doesn't manage to provide enough evidence to prove.

Certainly I can run with the theory insofar as items which remind us in some way of our base human instincts are likely to appear more "attractive" to us as those which don't, however it all falls a bit flat when you analyze the man's arguments as these rely on making sweeping generalisations relying on an allegedy "majority" of humans to prove their validity, rather than all humans.

He fails to make allowances for humans who are indifferent to or don't like his "preferred landscape" example and/or feel the same about his "preferred shape" "teardrop" example. Thought provoking, but not particularly convincing, as it comes across as an over-simplified explanation of something that is quite possibly extremely complex.

I'm not entirely sure the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is supposed to be taken literally enough to merit a debate on its accuracy anyway, to my understanding it is more intended to be taken as a metaphorical description - ie. who knows/cares why they think that way, but the fact is they do.

Edited by Ghostrider

• 2 months later...

Well, I passed by yesterday and that is the finished coat....

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand it is indeed Battleship Grey and it saddens me that in general folk can't see past this colour.

On the other hand it's still "colour" in a sense and tbh, if it had been a horrible yellow colour or something that would have looked horrendous.

I'm afraid Lerwick needs an architectural revolution and it's a shame the new flats being built at Fort Road and Commercial Rd(old Malcolmson's) weren't more imaginative, colourful(paint the wooden parts a nice red) and Scandinavan looking.

Edited by Kavi Ugl