Best way to move?

Sparky

Just had an interim quote back form a local removals firm for what they expect to be the cost of moving our stuff to Shetland....

£5,000!!!

Maybe i'm missing something but sending a container of furniture to Australia is only around £3,000?

Needless to say he won't be getting our business. Anyway, just wondered how anyone else who made the move got their stuff up there and whether there are better ways of doing it?

phone a couple fo our local companies.

reids is the main one and get a quote from them, if you tie in with when they are coming up they ahve been known to do good discounts and from what i ahve heard been very competetive against Packards ( sp ) etc

edit:

Reid Ian Removals - 01595 696268

Shetland Transport - 01595 695792

Whalsay Haulage - 01806 566403 ( not sure if they go off the isladn tho )

phone a couple fo our local companies.

reids is the main one and get a quote from them, if you tie in with when they are coming up they ahve been known to do good discounts and from what i ahve heard been very competetive against Packards ( sp ) etc

edit:

Reid Ian Removals - 01595 696268

Shetland Transport - 01595 695792

Whalsay Haulage - 01806 566403 ( not sure if they go off the isladn tho )

you might find it cheapper to put an add in the shetland times and share the trip with someone moving south and hire a van between you.

you might also find its better to sell some of your larger furniture and buy new here, making the quantity needing moved smaller = smaller van on the boat!

lots of people when they move south have a masive house clearence sale here before moving. Then just take the small goods in a wee van

We moved the other way in January and used Ian Reid. Total cost for 3 bedroom house from Hillswick to Aberdeenshire was about £1500. This was packing everything ourselves, though they did supply the boxes. They were really good too, very quick to load and unload, and even ran all the way to Lerwick for a ramp when they realised that the 'bike' they had on their list was in fact a Honda CBR 600!!

I used Shetland Transport a couple of times when I lived south before and they were pretty good too.

Quoted cost is probably so high because if you use a south firm they'll charge you to go up on the boat and then back down again...

Good luck with the move - hope the boat trip doesn't put you off for life!

Thanks again for the info guys.

Bear in mind that we are leaving the following items here:

Sofas

Fridge

Cooker

Washing Machine

Wardrobes

Drawers

Carpets

and you can see why I am amazed at the five grand quote! The guy from the local firm did say he'd have to sub-contract (something about not having enough lashing points on his lorries for the ferry) but I wonder how much he planned to make on the top???

Anyway, I'll give Reids a bell and see what they can offer :)

I belive there is a newish regualtion that says all trucks have to be tied down ( lashed ) to the deck of the ferry no matter the weather now. seen it on the interisland ferry service anyway.

would of thought every truck ws the same. but i guess not.

I belive there is a newish regualtion that says all trucks have to be tied down ( lashed ) to the deck of the ferry no matter the weather now. seen it on the interisland ferry service anyway.

would of thought every truck ws the same. but i guess not.

The chain lashings are either attached to trailer chassis with hooks, or through added lashing point rings or shackles.

Removal trucks are usually built in such a way as to maximize space usage as furniture etc is not particularly heavy. Meaning that the bodywork usually covers the chassis completely, making usual lashing techniques difficult/impossible. Reids, for instance, would be rigged for the ferry, whereas mainland hauliers would not, i reckon. (just out of interest)

We have used Reids twice for moving home and they are great, really helpfull and laid back just what you need when you are moving home especially from shomewhere like shetland or back to shetland. The good thing about Reids is that they will fit you in on there way which minimise's the cost as they are not doing a special trip just for you! And the boys that work for them are gems, really hard working a good laugh and are very grateful when you supply them with cups of tea and bacon rolls!!

Hope your move goes smoothly!! Good luck and remember stay clam!!

:D :D

Got a quote from Ian Reid today, £1,000 cheaper than our local company :)

Need to add a few bits and pieces as I forgot about some stuff when I caled them but I reckon it's gonna work out pretty good value in all.

Thanks for the recommendations guys, now if I can only find A house to rent!!!

After leaving the Army and putting my stuff into storage I found out that the local authority was legally obliged to store the stuff as I was homeless. This was in England. It might be worth looking at that here.

If you turn up and have nowhere to live I am sure that you would be housed quickly (or given a boat ticket back!!).

Have you contacted the SIC Housing or Hjaltland Housing Association?

Got a quote from Ian Reid today, £1,000 cheaper than our local company :)

Need to add a few bits and pieces as I forgot about some stuff when I caled them but I reckon it's gonna work out pretty good value in all.

I wonder if Ian Reid read the original quote in your earlier post in this forum ? :wink: