Midgies!!!

Njugle

Holy fire hazard batman, flaming heck, etc etc.

Ever tried one of the net hoods? I think the LHD sells them, possibly Rod&Line.

Or pull tights over your head. Looking like Ronnie Biggs has got to be better than coating yourself in petrol 8O

If you do this over a BB hat it keeps the material off your fizzog.

I found that Jungle formula works if you make sure you cover ever single millimetre of exposed skin. Many an hour at the troots gave me time to notice that you can see the little beggars walking around on the J formula until they find a bare bit and then they bite! BUT, it tastes 'orrible and i feel ill if i wear it for too long.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some friends of mine bought a contraption which gives out carbon dioxide and traps the midgies inside it. Good for being able to sit in your garden without being eaten alive but it's too big to carry around with you. They reckon it works very well though.

get a nice big fire on the go, with plenty of reek, i find old copies of the times are adequate for short spells. chain smoking helps on occasion and all, yun jungle formula just stings my eyes, particularly when the sweats running on a hot(ish) day, and be prepared to be bit onywye unless there's someone else around with more attractively tasting blood... usually me

The 'Avon Lady' was on this forum a while back, she sells something called Skin so Soft, which apparently has midge repellent properties.

i was hearing about this Avon stuff the other day - its soposed to be right good at keeping the wee buggers away. its not soposed to smell and it can be used for both sexes.

i was hearing about this Avon stuff the other day - its soposed to be right good at keeping the wee buggers away. its not soposed to smell and it can be used for both sexes.

I smell like a tart's handbag when I put it on. I can assure you that I didn't before :oops:

oh dear we cant have that lol!

ive not smelt it so i dont know i jut was told it was ok for men too.

i sopose it would be ok if you were away on your own in the feilds where you didnt want to go in along the pub for a pint on the way home

The midge repellant stuff, in the Skin so Soft range, is apparently called 'Dry Oil Body Spray', don't know what it smells like though :?

I've ordered some and will report back (a) if it works (B) smell.

I react badly to midge bites, they come up in lumps and itch for days, so I really need to find something that works. I have used creams containing DEET, and they work well against the midges, but I don't feel right after a while, a reaction to the DEET, I suppose. :(

The midge repellant stuff, in the Skin so Soft range, is apparently called 'Dry Oil Body Spray', don't know what it smells like though :?

I react badly to midge bites, they come up in lumps and itch for days, so I really need to find something that works. I have used creams containing DEET, and they work well against the midges, but I don't feel right after a while, a reaction to the DEET, I suppose. :(

good luck

Just a random thought, but would it work if you put on some kind of barrier cream THEN the DEET-stuff?

Never tried it mesel', so it may be a non-starter :?

Try 10 drops of geranium oil in 10 ml of a carrier oil like sweet almond oil. I read about that, so as an experiment we all put it on our right arms and not our left arms. Right enough, the bites were all on the left arms. We used it ever since, but it's not 100% if the midgies are really thick. :x

Try 10 drops of geranium oil in 10 ml of a carrier oil like sweet almond oil. I read about that, so as an experiment we all put it on our right arms and not our left arms. Right enough, the bites were all on the left arms. We used it ever since, but it's not 100% if the midgies are really thick. :x

Eh? You IQ test 'em?? :lol: