Black Bags!

Ghostrider

I am led to believe that it wasn't only the education staff working Easter Monday who got triple time but all staff working in Care Homes and Care in the Community.  It would be very interesting to know what the total wages bill for all council staff working that day amounted to.  I'm not saying people working a Public Holiday shouldn't be paid more but triple time????  I have never heard of the like and I know the NHS certainly doesn't pay triple time- maybe time and two thirds for working a public holiday.  With all the austerity cuts, it's no wonder folk are up in arms with the seemingly injustice of it all.

It's nothing other than a bloomin disgrace. Cut gritting, cut schools, close old folks lunch centres, stop bin bags etc, but hey ho money can be found to pay tripple time. It's a bit of "I'm all right jack, f**k you"

I worked for the council for many years, but never got tripple time, when did this start?

I doubt it's time for an outside body to look into how this council can rob services from us, whilst continue to pay these extortionate level of wages and employ numbers way above those of similar sized authorities.

Point One: Black bags?  Go and buy some from your local shop - NOT TESCO.

Point Two: Our Islands, Our Future? This crowd could not run a raffle table at a community hall; would you trust them with anything grander?

Point Three: Run the SIC like a private business? Cut the overtime council wages bill?  Well this is the same clan who want to take the finances of Shetland into their control.  

Get a grip on reality.  And Labour, Lib-Dem & Tory parties are 'interested' in small talking Robinson for a peerie while.

Utter nonsense - wake up.  The Westminster parties are paying no more lip service to us, than they have paid to Scotland for the past 300 years.  And all we are bumping our gums over is a few black bags?  

Look at the future, look at the bigger picture; and neither is realistically an independent Shetland.

Snip.... employ numbers way above those of similar sized authorities.

Similar size? As in numbers on the islands or the budget?

If you were to compare say a 3 tier system, or even a 2 tier system, you may find there are several similarities. The council have a huge amount of money to pay to ferry folks around and look after them if you compare them to another council that has to look after 22,000 folk. It can be difficult to get the wider comparison, especially as mentioned on these forum that Shetland is so different. It would be interesting to see someone put together a workable budget for the islands expenses rather than just shout general ideas that have no substance. All the accounts you need are in the public forum, all you need to know is there. ( Always seems that someone else has to do it eh?)

I have had triple time in the past working a bank holiday, I think you have to work the bank holiday to actually get it. double time plus a day of in leu.

This however does not happen for us now, o/t down to time and a third. Nobody works it unless they are on standby, Sundays too. The down side is that jobs that could have been done on the highway when the traffic count was lower are not done and are now done in the week days. this incurs the cost of hiring an I.P.V. and three operatives to provide the traffic control. 3 men at £150 a day and about £600 for the I.P.V. Cutting costs can have an effect elsewhere.

Edited by shetlandpeat

Easter Mondays only a public holiday in England no Scotland.

So why dae getting triple time?

Easter Monday is listed as one of our public holidays, If you work it then you recieve the rate of treble time for working it , i see no harm in it and it probably counts for a tiny proportion of expenditure,

remember if your offering a 24-7 service for certain services there will always be times when you have to pay extra for it

( Always seems that someone else has to do it eh?).

You don't know what I'm doing about it laddie, so please get your facts correct before having a go.

If you say so... I will wait for your view on the total  budget.... which is what I am talking about..... 

You should have said matey peeps. My facts were correct... (it is always someone else, of course until it is that someone) Well done to you for taking this up, it normally takes quite a team to do this, especially when dealing with the finer points the departments will be obliged to accommodate.

Jesus H Christ.

Binbags.

Overtime.

Agitators for Indy.

:rofl:

Shows that a debate can be diverse, it shows how easily folk can be distracted..

Just shows.....

Easter Mondays only a public holiday in England no Scotland.

So why dae getting triple time?

Easter Monday is listed as one of our public holidays, If you work it then you recieve the rate of treble time for working it , i see no harm in it and it probably counts for a tiny proportion of expenditure,

remember if your offering a 24-7 service for certain services there will always be times when you have to pay extra for it

The newspaper report mentioned that this is planned and being planned, the budget would have reflected this as well as the report that went with this...

It will be complicated to extrapolate from the council selling black bags to reworking the £110,000,000+ costs for 22,000 folk, add to that the privilege of maintaining £125,000,000 in reserves which is huge if you are comparing size on population, £5600(ish) per head in reserves is quite a tidy sum, some counties only have around £80 per head but do have to work with populations in the millions.

Edited by shetlandpeat

Soaring house prices, Ofgen block new power station, School staff paid triple time, Roads maintenance underfunded, 100 new jobs at Sullom Voe, Superfast Boardband, Our Islands Our Future campaign, Erik Gray Centre replacement, Bullmull tidal power scheme, Domestic abuse on the rise, Knab AHS site redevelopment......

And your point is ?.....

Bigger issues seem to get little discussion on here now, smaller issues more.

Soaring house prices, Ofgen block new power station, School staff paid triple time, Roads maintenance underfunded, 100 new jobs at Sullom Voe, Superfast Boardband, Our Islands Our Future campaign, Erik Gray Centre replacement, Bullmull tidal power scheme, Domestic abuse on the rise, Knab AHS site redevelopment......

And your point is ?.....

You hae a lok ta worry aboot peerie moot.

And your point is ?.....

You are right Carlos, but it's maybe because the smaller issues effect us directly at the time.