House prices / Housing Shortage

Equality Street

If you work at the gas plant, you will be earning in excess of £120 per day -  I can't see how private rentals are outwith your reach, especially if you share.

If you 'can't see', then I suggest you do your homework regarding income and expenditure.

so 100 quid a day your on 26k a year. 2166 a month less tax ect. if you share you divide your expenditure not double it. so say 700 a month your only paying 350.  on your income with out a car  its easily affordable. my wife has spent 8 years studying and 10 years of experience. and barely earns more than you. it explains why loads of local employers cant find workers. neepjelly your inflated wages are part of the problem .  im not attacking you. you would be mad not taking it.  an admin job is not payin anywjere near 26k in real life its paying under 18k. 

I'm going to hazard a guess and say you're not willing to pay £1000 + a month for rent? Well, neither am I... it's completely unrealistic.

So why don't you house share to split the cost?

Because I don't want to house share. 

I want my own space. I've been in halls, lived with a partner, but now I need my own space. I've lived away from my parents since I was 16 years old (i'm 22), and this is the first time I've approached the council for help.

so 100 quid a day your on 26k a year. 2166 a month less tax ect. if you share you divide your expenditure not double it. so say 700 a month your only paying 350.  on your income with out a car  its easily affordable. my wife has spent 8 years studying and 10 years of experience. and barely earns more than you. it explains why loads of local employers cant find workers. neepjelly your inflated wages are part of the problem .  im not attacking you. you would be mad not taking it.  an admin job is not payin anywjere near 26k in real life its paying under 18k. 

As I've said, it's not a stable job. I could get a phone call tonight telling me not to come in tomorrow. 

And have you seen how much people are wanting for a room on here? £600pcm.

I want my own space. I've been in halls, lived with a partner, but now I need my own space. I've lived away from my parents since I was 16 years old (i'm 22), and this is the first time I've approached the council for help.

And there lies the dilemma. Should you be housed in social housing for convenience reasons, i.e. you want your own space? Social housing was after all designed for individuals on low income or with other problems. Sorry, but I would say no in this situation unless the reason goes beyond "convenience". It's a want rather than a need.

And there lies the dilemma. Should you be housed in social housing for convenience reasons, i.e. you want your own space? Social housing was after all designed for individuals on low income or with other problems. Sorry, but I would say no in this situation unless the reason goes beyond "convenience". It's a want rather than a need.

Where does that statement come from. I grew up in a council house which housed everything from local councillors, Tradesmen to the unemployed

I to left home when I was 16 and joined the forces. I was tought discipline and how to manage money when my time was served part of my resettement was a council house I was allowed to join the waiting list 18 months before I left. I came out to a job and have worked all my life I bought my first house 10 years after leaving no not the council house but only when I felt that I could afford it. neepjelly is no different she works she is being prudent and sensible debt can cripple people read the news its one of the biggest causes of suicide. If the state cannot provide housing then at least cap private rents. Bring back the old rent officer and enforce the rent cap people forget while all these lanlords make huge profits the house prices go up but the ass will fall out of it one day and then we will hear them

you cant cap private rents. costs would mean it became uneconomic to rent a house out. house price do drop as well. if you were an investor in property its all a risk. what neepjelly wants is a cheap house on an inflated wage. consider brae.

Paulb - read what Neepjelly wrote. She has said that there's no job security, that's why they're paying better than average wages. It's because if they didn't ,nobody would touch them with a bargepole as they'd be going down an employment dead-end in Shetland. Nobody on the SGP contract would come all the way up here from the UK for, say, £9.00 an hour.

Shorter term jobs always pay higher, the same as at SV, all those guys from Wood Group, OC, Cape etc are on decent money because their manning levels rise and fall with demand. Plus there's no way that Shetland has enough people with the right skills to fill all the positions - so the only answer is to pay well and spread the net further.

As for £18k for an admin job, I could argue that you'd be better off not wasting  8 years studying and going and banging out some salmon or crab in the local factories for £8.50 p/h. You'd have been miles in front financially by now  :thmbsup

TBH, some of the comments in this thread are now going beyond making helpful suggestions and drifting into righteous indignation and demands for explanations regarding her personal life. I'm sure that's not what Neepjelly was asking for......

History of council housing - http://fet.uwe.ac.uk/conweb/house_ages/council_housing/print.htm

"1 Introduction
Historically council housing is public housing that is rented to households who are unable to afford to rent from the private sector or buy their own home. It has been called council housing due to the role of district and borough councils managing the housing. More recently Registered Social Landlords (RSLs), including semi-independent and not-for-profit housing associations, have played a larger role in providing and managing housing, consequently council and RSL housing is collectively known as ‘social housing’.

The underlying principle of council house provision is that historically the private sector was deemed unable to provide adequate housing for all and state intervention was required to ensure there was good quality affordable housing for low income households. ..."

Edited by Suffererof1crankymofo

I to left home when I was 16 and joined the forces. I was tought discipline and how to manage money when my time was served part of my resettement was a council house I was allowed to join the waiting list 18 months before I left. I came out to a job and have worked all my life I bought my first house 10 years after leaving no not the council house but only when I felt that I could afford it. neepjelly is no different she works she is being prudent and sensible debt can cripple people read the news its one of the biggest causes of suicide. If the state cannot provide housing then at least cap private rents. Bring back the old rent officer and enforce the rent cap people forget while all these lanlords make huge profits the house prices go up but the ass will fall out of it one day and then we will hear them

I put forward this question to you Brian: should an able-bodied working individual be instantly housed by the council or put up in a B&B because of a refusal to share or relocate? Where do you draw the line? The state was never designed to provide housing for everyone, plus they're broke. A single person council house occupancy has also always been a luxury usually only available in the private sector.

Paulb - read what Neepjelly wrote. She has said that there's no job security, that's why they're paying better than average wages. It's because if they didn't ,nobody would touch them with a bargepole as they'd be going down an employment dead-end in Shetland. Nobody on the SGP contract would come all the way up here from the UK for, say, £9.00 an hour.

Shorter term jobs always pay higher, the same as at SV, all those guys from Wood Group, OC, Cape etc are on decent money because their manning levels rise and fall with demand. Plus there's no way that Shetland has enough people with the right skills to fill all the positions - so the only answer is to pay well and spread the net further.

As for £18k for an admin job, I could argue that you'd be better off not wasting  8 years studying and going and banging out some salmon or crab in the local factories for £8.50 p/h. You'd have been miles in front financially by now  :thmbsup

TBH, some of the comments in this thread are now going beyond making helpful suggestions and drifting into righteous indignation and demands for explanations regarding her personal life. I'm sure that's not what Neepjelly was asking for......

Thank you!

I put forward this question to you Brian: should an able-bodied working individual be instantly housed by the council or put up in a B&B because of a refusal to share or relocate? Where do you draw the line? The state was never designed to provide housing for everyone, plus they're broke. A single person council house occupancy has also always been a luxury usually only available in the private sector.

Did you know if there are social issues/ is vulnerable etc. then they are not put in shared accommodation? You don't know the full story so stop attacking me for wanting a place to call home.

Edited by neepjelly

Additionally, why should I have to accept housing in a random area of Shetland I have no connection with. 

I have friends and family in Lerwick and it has been home for the last 2 years.