House prices / Housing Shortage

Equality Street

Additionally, why should I have to accept housing in a random area of Shetland I have no connection with. 

I have friends and family in Lerwick and it has been home for the last 2 years. 

Because of the law relating to social housing.  A local authority isn't under an obligation to meet your 'wants' but your 'need'.

Don't get me wrong, I've been homeless and know how difficult and worrying it is to not have a roof over your head.  But I'll be honest here, there are more in greater need than you.

Did you know if there are social issues/ is vulnerable etc. then they are not put in shared accommodation? You don't know the full story so stop attacking me for wanting a place to call home.

Oh for crying out loud, WHY is it that every blooming time someone debates something/posts something that might not meet with your approval because they happen to hold an opposing view/saying something challenging/whatever, that people deem it as an attack?

GET REAL.  People can only respond to what information you choose to share with them, they ain't (all) psychic.

Additionally, why should I have to accept housing in a random area of Shetland I have no connection with. 

I have friends and family in Lerwick and it has been home for the last 2 years. 

Because of the law relating to social housing.  A local authority isn't under an obligation to meet your 'wants' but your 'need'.

Don't get me wrong, I've been homeless and know how difficult and worrying it is to not have a roof over your head.  But I'll be honest here, there are more in greater need than you.

It's impossible to make that assumption without knowing my circumstances. I'm not going to justify myself anymore. 

I to left home when I was 16 and joined the forces. I was tought discipline and how to manage money when my time was served part of my resettement was a council house I was allowed to join the waiting list 18 months before I left. I came out to a job and have worked all my life I bought my first house 10 years after leaving no not the council house but only when I felt that I could afford it. neepjelly is no different she works she is being prudent and sensible debt can cripple people read the news its one of the biggest causes of suicide. If the state cannot provide housing then at least cap private rents. Bring back the old rent officer and enforce the rent cap people forget while all these lanlords make huge profits the house prices go up but the ass will fall out of it one day and then we will hear them

I put forward this question to you Brian: should an able-bodied working individual be instantly housed by the council or put up in a B&B because of a refusal to share or relocate? Where do you draw the line? The state was never designed to provide housing for everyone, plus they're broke. A single person council house occupancy has also always been a luxury usually only available in the private sector.

I don't like the part instantly but I think affordable housing should be available to all. I don't agree with the sharing aspect. Why are they broke? Tax revenues are at an all time high but they wont tell you that. Is it not the fact they constantly mismanage revenue and as others have said on Shetlink the money administrations spend on administering themselves often far outstrips what they spend on the services they should be providing. Back in the seveties councils went through huge regenaration plans renovating what were described as less desirable housing estates Labour government I think in the eighties they sold all the houses off at huge discounts wait a minute was that a shrewd move. Then they sold on mass whole tenament blocks to private land lords did they do them up no they simply rented the sub standard accommodation out. Torries i think so really the government failed in the provision of social housing but hey when all the folks were buying there council houses for next to nothing there was no opposition. Where did the money go?? As an aside the Torries are at it again letting tennants now buy their housing association housing further adding to the problem. It really is a joke people on here spout share a house buy a house move to a remote area far from you circle of friends etc etc Think about it folks this is the 21st century things are meant to be getting better

you cant cap private rents. costs would mean it became uneconomic to rent a house out. house price do drop as well. if you were an investor in property its all a risk. what neepjelly wants is a cheap house on an inflated wage. consider brae.

Paul the government can do anything they want im not saying cap it a stupid low amount but at least make it affordable we hear constantly about building affordable housing it can pretty much be done through planning law changes

You've only to look at the Hjaltland adverts listing how many people replied for an advertised 1 or 2 bedroom place on mainland to get a handle on just how dire the situation is.

Justme: yup, even to the point of putting repeat a convicted drug dealer in what is meant to be 'sheltered' housing for the owd fowk.  :???:

You've only to look at the Hjaltland adverts listing how many people replied for an advertised 1 or 2 bedroom place on mainland to get a handle on just how dire the situation is.

Justme: yup, even to the point of putting repeat a convicted drug dealer in what is meant to be 'sheltered' housing for the owd fowk.  :???:

Not quite sure what you mean by "dire".  If a property is in Lerwick or Scalloway then yes, the number of people applying is quite high.  If a property isn't in Lerwick or Scalloway, then quite often, even then, the number of applicants is often less than 10, and if one of the outer isles then it isn't uncommon for just one applicant or for the property to be re-advertised.

Did you know if there are social issues/ is vulnerable etc. then they are not put in shared accommodation? You don't know the full story so stop attacking me for wanting a place to call home.

Yes I do, and if you are truly in this situation then you are justified.

To be clear, I'm not attacking you. I'm not saying you don't have the right to a council house. My problem is people saying they're "homeless" when they've not exhausted all options and are putting themselves in that situation out of choosiness. Let me explain...

This country will ensure (or do its damnedest to ensure) everyone has a roof over their head. That's something everyone should be thankful for. When you are classified as homeless, you get put to the top of the housing list and made a high priority. You are given temporary accommodation, as you have, and that can be at great expense because there are no other options than private B&Bs.

To me being truly homeless is about having exhausted every single option. That covers viewing and applying for houses, flats, rooms, shares in a variety of locations, or moving back to the family home (space permitting). Only when you have no option left and are sleeping on a friend couch, or god forbid contemplating sleeping rough, then you should be classed as homeless in my view.

Unfortunately this is an area that can be abused. Anyone can turn up and say they're homeless, and the council has to react. Therefore it becomes a moral responsibility when you declare yourself homeless. You need to respect the situation of every other person on the housing list you are queue jumping. There will be people on that list that have been on it for years, for example: working but still living in the family home, coping those same high rents you're trying to avoid, in overcrowded situations, have had relationship breakdowns but still have to be under the same roof, and countless other situations. They're not homeless or making themselves such, they're waiting their turn patiently.

So if you feel you truly count as homeless and should go in front of the above people, then that's your choice. I will say no more on the subject.

Edited by tooney1

To be clear, I'm not attacking you. I'm not saying you don't have the right to a council house. My problem is people saying they're "homeless" when they've not exhausted all options and are putting themselves in that situation out of choosiness. Let me explain...

This country will ensure (or do its damnedest to ensure) everyone has a roof over their head. That's something everyone should be thankful for. When you are classified as homeless, you get put to the top of the housing list and made a high priority. You are given temporary accommodation, as you have, and that can be at great expense because there are no other options than private B&Bs.

To me being truly homeless is about having exhausted every single option. That covers viewing and applying for houses, flats, rooms, shares in a variety of locations, or moving back to the family home (space permitting). Only when you have no option left and are sleeping on a friend couch, or god forbid contemplating sleeping rough, then you should be classed as homeless in my view.

Unfortunately this is an area that can be abused. Anyone can turn up and say they're homeless, and the council has to react. Therefore it becomes a moral responsibility when you declare yourself homeless. You need to respect the situation of every other person on the housing list you are queue jumping. There will be people on that list that have been on it for years, for example: working but still living in the family home, coping those same high rents you're trying to avoid, in overcrowded situations, have had relationship breakdowns but still have to be under the same roof, and countless other situations. They're not homeless or making themselves such, they're waiting their turn patiently.

So if you feel you truly count as homeless and should go in front of the above people, then that's your choice. I will say no more on the subject.

Agreed, and anybody that is unfortunate enough to find themselves truly homeless would be only too happy to accept accommodation anywhere, regardless of whether it's in sight of the town or not. Otherwise, you take what's available and you work up from there. If you want to live in Lerwick, or anywhere else, for that matter, and there is nothing on offer then you save up or shut up.

The world is your oyster, just don't expect society to go out to sea to catch it for you.

Edited by George.

Agreed, and anybody that is unfortunate enough to find themselves truly homeless would be only too happy to accept accommodation anywhere, regardless of whether it's in sight of the town or not. Otherwise, you take what's available and you work up from there. If you want to live in Lerwick, or anywhere else, for that matter, and there is nothing on offer then you save up or shut up.

The world is your oyster, just don't expect society to go out to sea to catch it for you.

Are you homeless?

Don't tell me what I should be happy to accept. Accepting anywhere else, at this current moment in time, would mean leaving my job. Something that funnily enough, i'm not willing to do. 

Not quite sure what you mean by "dire".  If a property is in Lerwick or Scalloway then yes, the number of people applying is quite high.  If a property isn't in Lerwick or Scalloway, then quite often, even then, the number of applicants is often less than 10, and if one of the outer isles then it isn't uncommon for just one applicant or for the property to be re-advertised.

Agreed, CMF, but the days when on Mainland (which is the area I highlighted, above) you could stand a chance of getting a place when you have a problem are well gone. Even allegedly less salubrious areas of Mainland are pretty well hard to get into these days.

Outer Isles? Yup, definitely a lot better - there's 3 on Unst that I'm aware of at the moment.

Outer Isles? Yup, definitely a lot better - there's 3 on Unst that I'm aware of at the moment.

But many who are brought up in or around da toon cannot possibly conceive of the idea that life may not only be bearable on any of the isles but may actually be enjoyable. Imagine having to get on a ferry every now and again, not being able to enjoy mareel without planning a trip and not being able to go Tesco every day?!